Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scary issue with k-5

I went to the farmers market this morning and started to take a few pictures. The first few were fine but then I turned off the camera and when I turned it back on the shutter would not fire.

Pressing the shutter release caused a small noise inside but no shutter actuation. Turning on Live View resulted in a black screen as if the lens cap was on, or the mirror was still down. I then tried mirror lockup and no dice, the mirror will not move.

Back in the car, I gave the k-5 a sharp smack to the side with my palm, ( Dad always said if you want something to work you have to get it's attention first). Tried another shot, and all is good. It has been working fine all day since.

So, has anyone else had the mirror 'stick' down for them? And if so, does it happen again? Or should I just smack it every so often?

01-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Certainly does look like the mirror was stuck down. Don't know what would cause it though, doesn't seem like a common issue.

Maybe take it to a repair centre and have it looked at?
01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #3

There is a mirror motor that flips the mirror up and down that probably is the problem. Mine went through that behavior, getting progressively worse. the same smack would resolve it short term. Didn't matter which lens. Finally had to send it in to get the motor replaced. No problems since then. Can't remember the exact cost - somewhere between $100 & 150. You will find some other references to this in other posts.
01-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there is another post in the Camera Help Central forum that describes almost the same issue....is this becoming a little more common?

01-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Mine had exactly the same thing, it's a busted mirror motor. Mine went in for repair and 14,000 actuations later I still haven't heard a peep out of it.
01-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had this problem too, 3 times to be honest and it has been sent back every time.
The first time they couldn't find anything, the other times they replaced a motor, every time another one
Since the last repair it works fine, though this week it happened one time, couldn't even switch off the camera, had to remove the grip and could shut it down.
I hope it was because of the cold. But it's hard to trust your camera after these issues.
If your camera is still under warranty they have to fix it for free.
Good luck.
01-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Same issue... Sent to CRIS for evaluation/repair. Turn around time was two days for shutter motor replacement. Repair cost covered by extended warranty. My cost was lost time and shipping to the repair center as the warranty paid for its return. Now, it behaves like a new camera with no problems since.

Cheers...M
01-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My birthday gift from pentax!

That's exactly what happened on my birthday a few days ago! I don't know what caused it but it looks a little like the Sticky Mirror Syndrome of the LX...
Mine is to be sent in for repair, hopefully under warranty, I hope it will not take more than two weeks (knowing that the repair shop is about 56 km away from my home).
Pentax service sucks over here in Belgium, it has all to do with the rigidity of the Benelux Pentax Agent, they have a very stiff and old fashioned administration and a 'strange' attitude to deter customers.

01-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping it was just a one off mysterious problem. Sounds more like an issue that will have to go in for repair. I have the two year warranty so no worries there.

Best,
Jt
01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
That's exactly what happened on my birthday a few days ago! I don't know what caused it but it looks a little like the Sticky Mirror Syndrome of the LX...
Mine is to be sent in for repair, hopefully under warranty, I hope it will not take more than two weeks (knowing that the repair shop is about 56 km away from my home).
Pentax service sucks over here in Belgium, it has all to do with the rigidity of the Benelux Pentax Agent, they have a very stiff and old fashioned administration and a 'strange' attitude to deter customers.
Oh yes, De Beukelaer doesn't make his customers happy.
01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

Mine too. But the technical person said he installed a secret firmware from Japan into my K5 and tested okay afterwards. No parts change. It works without problem til today. I am doing a lot of timelapse with my K5 recently.
01-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Oh yes, De Beukelaer doesn't make his customers happy.
My K-5 returned yesterday and apparently a lot of work had to be done:
-Complete dismantle
-Replacing the sequence motor, I really don't know what this is
-Replacing the Auto-Focus motor, already?
-Calibrating the electronic level
-Complete checkup
-Testing

I am out shooting now ...
01-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

And when they do all that stuff, I'm wondering, why don't they give you a new camera?
What would be more expensive?
But hey, I hope it will never let you down and works like a charm.
Have fun shooting
02-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
My K-5 returned yesterday and apparently a lot of work had to be done:
-Complete dismantle
-Replacing the sequence motor, I really don't know what this is
-Replacing the Auto-Focus motor, already?
-Calibrating the electronic level
-Complete checkup
-Testing

I am out shooting now ...
Thats what I call padding, how did they expect to change the sequence motor with dismantling !!!

Pretty much the same things mine had for the same fault in the UK Sequences motor and AF module.

Don't really understand the AF parts changes but thought perhape they run a full service diagnotic on it and change part showing signs of failure?