Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Brand new K-5 - scratchy sounds??

Hello,

I just received my K-5 in the mail last week, and took it out today for its inaugural photo shoot. However, I'm noticing it is making this awful scratchy sound when I turn it on... I thought maybe it was the dust removal on start-up, but even after I unchecked that option, it continues to make this aweful, nails-on-a-chalkboard sound. Does this happen to anyone else?? Is it normal, or do I ALREADY have a defect?

Cheers,
KB

01-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kbrownphotog Quote
Hello,

I just received my K-5 in the mail last week, and took it out today for its inaugural photo shoot. However, I'm noticing it is making this awful scratchy sound when I turn it on... I thought maybe it was the dust removal on start-up, but even after I unchecked that option, it continues to make this aweful, nails-on-a-chalkboard sound. Does this happen to anyone else?? Is it normal, or do I ALREADY have a defect?

Cheers,
KB
This is the third user report of such a noise. Could you post a video of it?

If it really is as loud as you're describing, it might be a new QC issue...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you shooting in live view btw? Or through viewfinder?
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kbrownphotog Quote
Hello,

Cheers,
KB
The scratchy sound you hear is the aperture lever mechanism - the sound is normal. I had a hard time adjusting to that when I came from the K20D, but now I know that that is how it works. You will hear the sound everytime the camera wakes up after auto power off as well.

01-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it this? This is the normal sound a Pentax K-5 makes on startup. The sound may be louder or softer depending on the lens that is mounted due to the acoustic properties of the lens construction. One of my K-5s is almost two years old, the other is a few months old. Both make the sound whether you turn off startup dust removal or not. It will also make the sound when it wakes up from sleep mode.
For me it is a joyous sound, part of the whole K-5 handling experience, letting me know it's ready for fun

Last edited by crewl1; 01-23-2013 at 11:49 AM.
01-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, all! Yes, crewl1, that is the sound... so it's normal? I can get used to it if I know it's supposed to sound like that... it just sounds terrible!
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There is a noticable scratchy sound immediately on startup....I've never thought much of it on mine though, and it goes away after a second. If it continues to make that noise I think you have a problem. When shooting, you also might hear the in-camera stabilizer if you have the SR turned on.

Good luck.
01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My K-5 also makes the same sound when starting up. Nothing wrong with it.

01-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Aha! Is it that sound people are talking about? I don't even think about it and I also see it as a joyous sound, it's like turning the key in a car or something similar.
01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Is it this? This is the normal sound a Pentax K-5 makes on startup. The sound may be louder or softer depending on the lens that is mounted due to the acoustic properties of the lens construction. One of my K-5s is almost two years old, the other is a few months old. Both make the sound whether you turn off startup dust removal or not. It will also make the sound when it wakes up from sleep mode.
For me it is a joyous sound, part of the whole K-5 handling experience, letting me know it's ready for fun

Pentax K-5 start up sound - YouTube

Just checked my K5IIs. It's the same sound. I never gave it a second thought because it's so much quieter on startup than my K200 or K-r.
01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Little search never hurts Noise while turning on K5 - Not Dust Removal - PentaxForums.com
01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
It wasn't even that sound.
I looks like it's the aperture lever sound.
01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I looks like it's the aperture lever sound
Exactly. To quote magnosantos:
"Thanks to all. I confirm, at the samme time the noise occurs the aperture lever moves i can see and feel it."
And all is good .

Cheers.
01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

Pentax K-5 start up sound - YouTube

My one week old K5 manufactured 10/30/2012 makes this same exact noise when turned on or when woke up. Even if I shut off start up dust reduction it still make this noise. Good to know its normal for some K5s. Although I did not think there was a problem!

To verify I took off the lens and watched the apature lever actuator to the left looking into the lens mount. It moved a tiny bit in perfect sync with the noise. Strange that it does this. I wonder why some others don't do this and some do, do this?

Last edited by jamesm007; 01-23-2013 at 08:10 PM.
01-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's the aperture lever sound. My K5 also has it. Someone has posted a detailed explanation for it. You can search the forums to find the post.

It's said this sound is due to electric aperture lever positioning intead of mechanical one before. It also said Pentax had to do this change for supporting auto aperture in video mode.

Here's the link. See post #11.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/123361-k5-sensor-cleaning-bug.html

Last edited by hyyz; 01-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.