Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I just received the Mestos PD-K5HL bracket http://madforcamera.com/shop-by-brand/48-mestos-cd-5dm3hl-l-plate-for-canon-...ical-grip.html
It is very well made. I will add a review after I have a chance to use it this weekend.
Thanks, will read it. I'm curious to know if the quality is better than the other "FITTEST" branded one you bought.

The Kirk branded K5 bracket appears to discontinued some time ago and the RRS version seems to have disappeared recently too.

05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #47

Is it a bad thing that all of you guys are trying to buy this L-bracket and I don't see a use for it and will probably sell mine?! I don't do much tripod/studio work (I don't even have an arca tripod yet)...=(
05-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
... I don't do much tripod... work ...=(
There is your answer.

No, it is not a bad thing. The bracket is pointless if not used on a tripod. The whole point is to be able to change orientation quickly, on-the-fly, without changing the ball head setting. Given the level of interest, you can probably sell it here pretty easily.
05-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
Is it a bad thing that all of you guys are trying to buy this L-bracket and I don't see a use for it and will probably sell mine?! I don't do much tripod/studio work (I don't even have an arca tripod yet)...=(
both L bracket would be useless.
I have two brackets, this one that handles both the K-5 and grip plus a second which just handles the K-5. I use the grip version on a Sidekick for nature and wildlife.; I use the version for just the K-5 on a pano-head for interior HDR panos. Without a tripod and appropriate head. With a tripod and appropriate head they add a dimension of stability and flexibility you cannot achieve without them.
In the case of just the camera and an L grip on a pano head you get stability I have been unable to match with just an arca plat on the K-5. Unlike some other cameras I was unable to find an arca plate made just for the K-5 plus the added length of the L bracket custom fit against the K-5 couldn't be matched by just an arca plate.

05-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Thanks, will read it. I'm curious to know if the quality is better than the other "FITTEST" branded one you bought.
Since Fittest doesn't make an L-plate for the gripped K5 I can't compare it to the Mestos plate, however, I do have the Fittest bracket for me K20 and the Mestos for my K5 and there is a few differences between them. The Mestos plate is machined a bit more than the Fittest plate giving it thinner walls and smaller plates but still maintains structural integrity. The dovetail plates are a little shorter of the mestos but still give plenty or room for clamping into your tripod head. The Mestos did lack the safety screws that the Fittest provides but I easily modified mine to allow for them as I discussed in a previous post. Between the 2 plates the Mestos is 40 grams lighter than the Fittest. Both are very nice plates and fit each camera perfectly. Are they perfect, no, but that's just my opinion.

If fittest made a plate for the K5 and I had to choose between the 2, I would probably go with the Mestos plate. The owner of Mad for Camera - Mad for Camera is super nice and will probably give you a deal if you contact him before placing an order. He sold my my plate for $150 with free shipping.
01-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Has anyone tried the Benro MPU-105? Does it work with the D-BG4 grip?

Universal Benro MPU105 Quick Release L Plate Replace PU50 PU60 PU70 PU85 | eBay
01-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

GLA-01 Universal Quick Release L-Plate w/ Grip - DSLR Hunter
I should receive this bracket this week and will post a review. On paper this bracket looks good since it has an adjustable plate, accommodating different grip widths, to prevent twisting. On the downside it costs more.
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

The L-Bracket mentioned in the previous post does not fit the Pentax K-3 with Grip. It is a beautifully engineered bracket but the distance from the side of the K-3 to the center of the tripod hole on the grip is too long. According to my rough measurements you need an L-Bracket that has at least 82.75mm from the end to the center of the screw that goes into the grip tripod screw. I have been searching for universal grip that can meet or exceed that dimension, so far without luck.

01-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The L-Bracket mentioned in the previous post does not fit the Pentax K-3 with Grip. It is a beautifully engineered bracket but the distance from the side of the K-3 to the center of the tripod hole on the grip is too long. According to my rough measurements you need an L-Bracket that has at least 82.75mm from the end to the center of the screw that goes into the grip tripod screw. I have been searching for universal grip that can meet or exceed that dimension, so far without luck.
No, I wouldn't have expected the one you referenced to work. The one I mentioned in the previous post to yours might work. It appears as if the clearance is closer to 90mm, and that would work for the K-5 grip too, but so far I can't get an answer from a company that makes it (or from any Amazon customer). I'm tempted to order it, since the price is relatively low for L-plates. But I'll wait longer for an answer from someone.

I should mention that the Benro, though, does not appear to have an anti-twist mechanism...

Last edited by sholtzma; 01-22-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: correction
02-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I wish someone would make a plate, or L-bracket for K-3 with battery grip 5. The Mestos plate for the Bdg-4 does NOT fit on the Bdg-5. Bummer.
02-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I wish someone would make a plate, or L-bracket for K-3 with battery grip 5. The Mestos plate for the Bdg-4 does NOT fit on the Bdg-5. Bummer.
You might want to contact Mad For Camera on eBay - They are working to get a K-3 custome L Bracket with the Grip
The more encouragement the better chance we will see one - I have the Mestos L Bracket for the K5 with grip - great product
Get in touch with them

Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs. Learn More

Dear rockvillebob,

Hi.
There are not any L Plate for K3.
But we are discuss to make L Plate for K3 with Mestos head office.
We'll make K3 L plate as soon as possible.
Thanks for your inquiry.
Regards
madforcamera.com
Kim

- madforcameracom
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

To: madforcameracom
Subject: Details about item: rockvillebob sent a message about Mestos PD-K20DHL Camera L Plate for Pentax K10D,K20D Vertical Grip NEW #251349889749
Sent Date: Jan-23-14 06:23:14 PST

Dear madforcameracom,

Any chance this fits the recently introduced Pentax K-3?
Do you have one for the Pentax K-3 with Grip?
Any plans to make one for the Pentax K-3 with Grip?

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/249221-universal-quick-rel...#ixzz2t11ZbU44
02-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #57
Site Supporter

And I'll just add a plug for the Mestos L-plate I have for the K-5+grip; I continue to value it greatly. If they make one for the K-3, get it.
02-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #58

what is this plate that you speak of? is it just a light bracket? or no? clueless
02-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

Mestos L Plate for K-3 with grip about a month away
Here's an email I received from madforcamera.com

Dear Bob Bryer,
We already discussed that Mestos are developing K3L Plate now.
Maybe it'll take 1 month.
After we got K3L plate in stock, we'll update on our website and ebay market.
Thanks for your inquiry.
Regards,
madforcamera.com
Customer service
Kim
06-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #60

I paid for a mestos K3 bracket on ebay from madforcamera including expedited shipping eight days ago and it's still not been despatched. There was a cock-up with two separate orders but that was resolved days ago after I sent multiple emails with apologies and explanations. It will not now be available for a unique opportunity to photo shoot on the worlds largest sand island. Caveat emptor.