Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BETLOG Quote
YESSSS!
woot
edit: GAH.. I wooted too soon.
All I want is an L bracket like this that fits over the BDG-4 and is manfrotto RC2 compatible.
It does fit over the grip and is arca-swiss compatible.

04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
Forum Member

Yes, but Arca compatible is not Manfrotto compatible.
I want one for my RC2 head. There are plenty of Arca L-brackets, but very few for RC2.

I asked fittest if they would consider making an RC2 version of their bracket...
They said they may consider this in the future (but I'm not holding my breath) and that I could add their arca-bogen adapter clamps to their K5 bracket:
Pair of Adapter Clamp Transform Arca Compatible L Plates to Bogen Manfrotto Fits | eBay
Fittest FK5L L Plate L Bracket QR for Pentax K5 Body Only Arca Compatible | eBay
$62 + $125 = $187 but doesn't fit over the DBG4, and 111g + 140g = 251g ... is getting a bit heavy.

Given that Mestos make a grip-fit bracket, perhaps a few of us should petition them to ask for a RC2 compatible mount?
04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BETLOG Quote
Given that Mestos make a grip-fit bracket, perhaps a few of us should petition them to ask for a RC2 compatible mount?
Instead of pushing against the grain, maybe you could consider converting yourself to the arca-swiss standard.
04-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #34
Forum Member

I have an arca head, so that is an option...
However...and I'm sure this is grounds for some kind of holy war... I don't like the basic arca mechanism.

Consider the two bolt heads that lock into recesses in the mount and prevent sideways motion when the main thumbscrew is tightened. Isn't it sort of missing the whole design-point when l-brackets have these lock-bolts on their landscape mount, but rarely have them on their portrait mount?
I want this bracket specifically to shoot portrait, and usually with a fair bit of weight attached, so for that element of the locking mechanism to be absent on the side mount isn't good.

It's too easy to accidentally drop a camera if the (usually too small) arca thumbscrew isn't done up tight, or gets loosened.
Conversely: the RC2 is either attached, or it isn't.

TL;DR: personal preference.

04-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member

You'll get no war from me! I understand what you are saying, and in your application I can see your wanting the most secure setup you can come up with.
04-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
You'll get no war from me! .
Someone somewhere is muttering "heresy!" under their breath.
QuoteQuote:
I understand what you are saying
So now all I need to do is find the person who decided to make RC2 and Arca rails completely incompatible by designing them a few millimetres differently, sit them down and give them a stern talking to.
If it weren't for that, a few lateral cuts out of an arca would make it cross-compatible with RC2 as well.

Anyone else interested asking Mestos to make an RC2 version?
I'm sure each email they got would quickly convince them.
04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Has anyone bought from Mad For Camera? They list the Mestos PD-K5HL for $159.00

I sent them an email earlier to day but have not heard back.

Mestos PD-K5HL

The link indicates Mark-iii grip but the picture and page indicate K-5 with Grip

Thanks for your feedback about Mad For Camera

04-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I did hear back from Mad For Camera. I'll likely be ordering a Mestos PD-K5HL from them:
Dear Customer, Thanks for your inquiry. If you choose the expedite shipping, it'll take 3-4 business days. But you have to pay USd15 for shipping fee. If you choose the standard airmail, it'll take 7-14 business days. It is for free. Have a good day. Regards, Customer service Kim
04-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Ordered a http://madforcamera.com/shop-by-brand/48-mestos-cd-5dm3hl-l-plate-for-canon-...ical-grip.html bracket for my K-5 with grip. I chose the free shipping so it will take a couple weeks to arrive. When I get it I will add a review to the forum.
04-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That`s the bracket I have. It works perfectly on Arca-Swiss compatible clamps. The one thing I thought the bracket was missing was the safety screws like Fittest brackets have. This was easily fixed by a quick trip to my workshop and a few minutes on the drill press. The Mestos bracket has 2 perfect spots for the screws so it was only a matter of drilling a small hole and screwing the screws in. I don`t know why they don`t do this during the milling process but it`s an easy modification if you have the tools.
04-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
That`s the bracket I have. It works perfectly on Arca-Swiss compatible clamps. The one thing I thought the bracket was missing was the safety screws like Fittest brackets have. This was easily fixed by a quick trip to my workshop and a few minutes on the drill press. The Mestos bracket has 2 perfect spots for the screws so it was only a matter of drilling a small hole and screwing the screws in. I don`t know why they don`t do this during the milling process but it`s an easy modification if you have the tools.
Thanks for the idea. So I need to put the screws on both sides of the L bracket? I'll have to hunt around for the cylindrical topped screws. Maybe I have a couple of extras from brackets I've bought.
It seems I would need both a drill and a tap.
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
It seems I would need both a drill and a tap.
I thought the same thing but turns out the aluminum is soft enough so you can just thread the screw in without tapping it. I use a side mount gimbal head so I only needed one screw on each side.
04-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I thought the same thing but turns out the aluminum is soft enough so you can just thread the screw in without tapping it. I use a side mount gimbal head so I only needed one screw on each side.
WOW - Thank you very much for going the extra mile!!!!

I use a Sidekick but would just use a ball head for macro work.
04-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #44

Has anyone tried the Manfrotto L Bracket? Amazon.com: Manfrotto L Bracket Q2 MS050M4-Q2: Camera & Photo

I'm not quite ready to jump to the arca system. In theory it is designed to fit all cameras.
05-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I just received the Mestos PD-K5HL bracket http://madforcamera.com/shop-by-brand/48-mestos-cd-5dm3hl-l-plate-for-canon-...ical-grip.html
It is very well made. I will add a review after I have a chance to use it this weekend. I am very pleased with the service provided by Mad for Camera http://madforcamera.com/