Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What is the Shutter Count of the first image of a brand new K5?

What should be the ShutterCount of the first image of a brand new K5? Any one ever checked that before?

I am having issues with SD Card that it is really hard to take it out. So I was wondering if it could be a returned item or something.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 01-27-2013 at 07:51 AM.
01-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It varies, sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's a bit higher.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It varies, sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's a bit higher.
Thanks for the reply Adam!

The reason I asked was I just received my new K5 and the Shutter Count of the first image wsa 3.
I found a small problem with the camera that the SD Card does not eject like it does on other cameras including K100D. It was pretty hard to pull it out. That's the reason I checked the Shutter Count to see if it could be a returned item.
Not sure if a stuck SD Card is normal.
01-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SD card is much harder to remove on K-5 than other cameras. Many posts about this when it was first introduced. I personally don't mind it at all but it is always a surprise when I use the k-x and the card comes out so easy. Particularly annoying if you have big fingers.

Anyway, it is not a problem, it is a "design feature".

01-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
SD card is much harder to remove on K-5 than other cameras. Many posts about this when it was first introduced. I personally don't mind it at all but it is always a surprise when I use the k-x and the card comes out so easy. Particularly annoying if you have big fingers.

Anyway, it is not a problem, it is a "design feature".
Thanks! And it is a relief to know that it is not only on mine :-)

It is an amazing camera, so far!
01-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yup. Both the K-5 and K-7 have SDCards which a bit harder to remove. You get the hang of it though after some time and you get pretty good at it. My K-7 came with a shutter count of 16
01-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Yup. Both the K-5 and K-7 have SDCards which a bit harder to remove. You get the hang of it though after some time and you get pretty good at it. My K-7 came with a shutter count of 16
The SD card will pop up if you press it in, then slide your finger off it while you still have pressure on it. It will pop up on the spring pressure and you will soon be able to grasp it before it flies out.

Cheers

01-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deanesfield Quote
The SD card will pop up if you press it in, then slide your finger off it while you still have pressure on it. It will pop up on the spring pressure and you will soon be able to grasp it before it flies out.
I have never ever had it "fly out". If anything I have to "dig" my fingers deep into the SDCard compartment to pull it out after it has popped out. That's what I was referring to when I said it was a little more difficult compared to other cameras.
01-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This SD card issue has never been noticed by me. I press it in, the spring makes it protrude about 50% of it's length.
01-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
This SD card issue has never been noticed by me. I press it in, the spring makes it protrude about 50% of it's length.
Is that on K5? It is hard enough on my K5 that I need to sit before I can take the SD Card out.
It gets locked somewhere. I don't even have to push it all the way in to get it locked.
01-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Is that on K5? It is hard enough on my K5 that I need to sit before I can take the SD Card out.
It gets locked somewhere. I don't even have to push it all the way in to get it locked.
Some SD cards could be a smidgen thinner than others, my San-disk extremes have always been tight.
There must be over a dozen threads on the forums, about tight SD compartment and hard to remove cards on K7 and K5.
From the sounds of it, yours is behaving normally.
01-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Yeah, on my K-5. Never had it be hard to remove really, but it did eat a Sony SD card I had at one point. Broke the plastic spacers between contacts...
01-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

When I first bought my K5, I popped in a card I had been using on my K10D and it started numbering the files in sequence to what was already on it. A program like Photo Me will show the real shutter count. A few shots would be normal. I think that occasionally, they fire off a few test shots. The cards are a tight fit but these bodies are also smaller than K10D/20D so the reason is obvious. I've become pretty good at swapping cards, even with my big hands.
01-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #14

I received my K-5 (first model) factory sealed and it the first picture that I took increased the shutter count to 1 :-)

Today I got my K-5 IIs and it seems that someone used it already, because it has a shutter count >200. Although it is not correct (IMHO) to sell a camera like this as new, I will keep it if I donīt find problems ...

So, I guess a new K-5 II/IIs should have a shutter count of 0 (or 1 after taking the first picture).

Best wishes,
Klaus
01-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
I received my K-5 (first model) factory sealed and it the first picture that I took increased the shutter count to 1 :-) Today I got my K-5 IIs and it seems that someone used it already, because it has a shutter count >200. Although it is not correct (IMHO) to sell a camera like this as new, I will keep it if I donīt find problems ...
Not necessarily. It was reported that on the K-5 Pentax re-set the shutter count to zero after testing, but on earlier cameras it was common for an brand new in the box camera to have a good number of actuations presumably for testing. Possibly the K-5IIs is not being re-set before leaving the factory.

There were a few threads on this awhile back but my quick search could not find the one I wanted.

Where did you purchase it?