Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
your kidding !!!

1.01 is the base produciton FW from 2010 (v1 had hard lock issues), there are some major bug fixes (low light AF etc) and major feature changes missing.

with your FW the camera will lock up when the battery is under load , not focus correctly below 2ev etc etc
What is FW? So I'm missing some serious upgrades? I thought it was just minor annoyances that were repaired.

02-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Fw is firm ware. It is the program in your camera.
02-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
Fw is firm ware. It is the program in your camera.
FW is my first and last name initial. I'm pretty sure that's what it stands for.
02-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #34

I have this feeling as well (general AF improvement). Hopefully it's not by hope-fueled imagination :P

QuoteOriginally posted by cap69 Quote
Hi there,
I come from the pentaxeros.com spanish forum.

People testing there provide this feedback...
1. Apparent, but subjective, AF general improvement
2. Changes in LV mode. Mirror doesn't unnecessarily flips now when shooting. Faster and apparent better AF.
3. Apparent improvement in exposure measurement. Less overexposing in auto modes

Are you experiencing the same?

Rgds,
Pedro

02-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #35

I've noticed that in my ACDSee software, my manually inputted focal lenghts are not accurate. My 55 shows up as 8? And my 105 shows up as 150mm. Weird.

I did not do a reset b/c I'm not sure if my saved presets are retained. Can anyone confirm?
02-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
FW is my first and last name initial. I'm pretty sure that's what it stands for.
Popular usage extends the word "firmware" (FW) to denote any non-Volatile program, including processor machine-instructions for built In Operating Systems, bootstrap loaders, or applications.

And of cause your initals , but why are your initials on version 1.01 ?
02-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
I've noticed that in my ACDSee software, my manually inputted focal lenghts are not accurate. My 55 shows up as 8? And my 105 shows up as 150mm. Weird.
Are we talking about Pentax or third party lenses? For example Sigma does not get/provide/whatever correct individual lens ID codes, PP programs often identify them as something else. My guess is that it does not affect the shooting itself (correct focal length for SR, that is).
02-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
But now at FW 1.14 my initial tests suggest some -5 might be enough. But take this with many grains of salt...
I just did a somewhat better testing with the Sigma lens and the new FW using a tripod. I focused to an object using Liveview and then checked the different AF tuning settings and eventually ended up using -3. So there's definitely an offset change as originally with earlier FWs I wasn't able to get a decent PDAF.

02-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Are we talking about Pentax or third party lenses? For example Sigma does not get/provide/whatever correct individual lens ID codes, PP programs often identify them as something else. My guess is that it does not affect the shooting itself (correct focal length for SR, that is).
Yeah, Lightroom says that I'm shooting with a Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II at 500mm when I'm actually use the 150-500mm. Ironically my Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II also shows the wrong lens, I have to chose Sigma as the automatic selection doesn't work but after that it selects the Nikon mount one.
02-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
By the way, is there any way to downgrade the firmware?
I believe yes....
02-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #41

Well I actually don't own any Pentax lenses....

But it doesn't seem to affect shooting.
02-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #42

First Impression

Just updated to V1.14 and took a few shots in low light.

Could sense an improvement in the AF hunt. Locking on to target quickly.
02-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #43
Forum Member

I was waiting for an upgrade that will take care of the mirror flip issue. With over 30 years in the "electronic" industry I didn't believe it's a HW issue - when the battery is charged (or maybe overcharged) and the camera works at hot area - the camera would go crazy and start its own mirror flip. I believe its something that has to do with the control procedure over the camera software - after all everything is controlled by the camera CPU. True high "voltage" may be an issue but the software (or firmware) should control every action and every step in the camera shooting procedure.
I refused to send my camera to the shop especially since it was my second body that I got last august after I've sent my original that had the stained sensor.
So I hope the new FW will end my frustration and let me use my K-5 in the summer
02-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ofer Hadas Quote
I was waiting for an upgrade that will take care of the mirror flip issue. With over 30 years in the "electronic" industry I didn't believe it's a HW issue - when the battery is charged (or maybe overcharged) and the camera works at hot area - the camera would go crazy and start its own mirror flip. I believe its something that has to do with the control procedure over the camera software - after all everything is controlled by the camera CPU. True high "voltage" may be an issue but the software (or firmware) should control every action and every step in the camera shooting procedure.
I refused to send my camera to the shop especially since it was my second body that I got last august after I've sent my original that had the stained sensor.
So I hope the new FW will end my frustration and let me use my K-5 in the summer
Hmmm...seems like everyone that had that issue had to resolve it with a trip to the repair center...
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #45
Forum Member

Lucky you - Pentax is just around the corner in Denver CO. I had to deal with the local disrtibuter for few weeks to get my firest body fixed - and I got my new one almost a month before the end of the warranty. Got my K-5 as the K-100 when travelling to Tokyo so I had to wait for a solution from the Firmware side.. I just hope it will help - I am travelling to South africa for business in 2 weeks - its summer over there - I hope it will not start making this noise that lets you know that its box has its own game now..