Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Has anyone had any problems with the firmware download?

I have tried several downloads from pentax.jp and extracting them to a couple of different SD cards as well as extracting to the HDD and copying them to the SD cards.

Everytime I try to load the new firmware, I get an Update File is Damaged message from the camera, after one attempt, Ii had a heart stopper - the camera rear display would not work and nothing I did would restore it - until I removed the battery and let it sit for a few minutes before reinserting the battery.
Hi
What could be happening is that your first download of the update file was corrupted somewhere in the path between the Pentax server and your PC. Now, when you download the file again, your service provider may be sending you the same file, rather than requesting the file from the Pentax server as a fresh download. Try downloading the file from a separate PC, on a separate network. Preferably, download the file on a wired network, rather than a wireless network. Built in file download protocols prevents this sort of thing from happening 9.99999/10.
When you load the files to an SD card, make sure the SD card is empty and that you're not placing the file in a folder on the card.
Remember all the usual advice about fully charge battery, etc, when loading the new update file.
I've successfully updated twice now - no problem. This must be quite frustrating for you. Good luck!
Regards,
Mark

03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #107
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just download the correct file from Pentax JP or Pentax USA, making sure you choose the right download for your operating system (and camera!) and do the upgrade by the book (from the Pentax USA site):
Yep. I downloaded from Pentax Japan. I'll try the US site.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi
What could be happening is that your first download of the update file was corrupted somewhere in the path between the Pentax server and your PC. Now, when you download the file again, your service provider may be sending you the same file, rather than requesting the file from the Pentax server as a fresh download. Try downloading the file from a separate PC, on a separate network. Preferably, download the file on a wired network, rather than a wireless network. Built in file download protocols prevents this sort of thing from happening 9.99999/10.
When you load the files to an SD card, make sure the SD card is empty and that you're not placing the file in a folder on the card.
Remember all the usual advice about fully charge battery, etc, when loading the new update file.
I've successfully updated twice now - no problem. This must be quite frustrating for you. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using my desktop (wired, not wireless). I had placed the files in the root directory of the freshly formatted SD card, had a fully charged battery, etc.

I didn't have any problems when I updated my K-7 or Q.

I'll try again.
03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #108
Site Supporter

A fresh download, this time from the USA, seems to have worked.
03-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #109
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
A fresh download, this time from the USA, seems to have worked.
Great!!

03-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #110
Site Supporter

I'm about to go out and test it (side by side with my K-7).