Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firmware Update K-5 V1.14

Changes to V1.14

• Optimized contrast AF when using [HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW] lens.
  • Improved stability for general performance.*Contents of [Version 1.13] and earlier version will be also updated.
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html

01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What does 'improved stability' actually mean? Anyone notice any differences?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to updating my just-arrived K5 from stock firmware to this.
01-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
They always say that -- all the little bug fixes they don't want to tell you about.
01-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really can't see way they would hide the fixes, companies are weird.

01-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Some are undoubtedly too technical to describe to a layman because in a fairly mature product bugs that remain usually only crop up when several conditions intersect in an unlikely scenario.

It has been suggested that Japanese culture values saving face and so they don't admit what they don't have to -- not sure how true that is...
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Still haven't given any more choices on custom button mapping.......
01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

any focus peaking? kekekeke

01-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
Still haven't given any more choices on custom button mapping.......
I doubt they would add features to a camera that is getting old in camera years. They add features to a new model so you spend money. Oh capitalism, don't you love it.
01-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well canon and Nikon both recently significantly upgraded old cameras with firmware updates and Pentax at least did it with the Q (although not as old).
01-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Some are undoubtedly too technical to describe to a layman because in a fairly mature product bugs that remain usually only crop up when several conditions intersect in an unlikely scenario.

It has been suggested that Japanese culture values saving face and so they don't admit what they don't have to -- not sure how true that is...
I don't think many would be interested in dozens of "Fixed memory leak in XXXXX module" and "Fixed possible use of uninitialized memory". Thus, the improved stability
01-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, when it comes to computer software for example people are pretty interested in the different fixes.
01-31-2013, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Well, I'd gladly review their code if they'll ever send it to me
01-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #13

Firmware update thanks

Whether the firmware update, is a minor or major fix.

I for one, am extremely grateful for the heads up

Cheers
01-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote

Anyway, I'm looking forward to updating my just-arrived K5 from stock firmware to this.
They always say that -- all the little bug fixes they don't want to tell you about.
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I really can't see way they would hide the fixes, companies are weird.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think many would be interested in dozens of "Fixed memory leak in XXXXX module" and "Fixed possible use of uninitialized memory". Thus, the improved stability
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, when it comes to computer software for example people are pretty interested in the different fixes.
Im sure, if you go back through the forums, you will find reports of strtange behavior, like getting locked in some mode, etc... do a search, look at the issues raised and i'll bet that pretty well describes the list of things where "stability" was improved.

What I don't understand is why they do not offer new features, mixed in with the upgrades.

I know at one point nikon would offer all those that were hardware independent as backwards compatible upgrades.

not that i want a list of things to be done or anything, but why not. Given the cost of validating these little bug fixes why not just put a few functional bones in there to keep the users happy
01-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Given the cost of validating these little bug fixes why not just put a few functional bones in there to keep the users happy
That might be the reason why they do as little as possible, if the code-change is considered small enough they might get away with a very minor validating procedure.