Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #91

With version 1.13, my Tamron 17-50 needed -7. Now even -10 is barely enough. Is it possible to downgrade to 1.13 ?

Last edited by kamisu; 02-17-2013 at 01:11 AM.
02-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can I upgrade?

Greetings Everyone...

I am new to the forum.
I recently purchased a K5 with the SMC Pentax DA 18-135mmF3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Lens.

I have not even used it yet and as a matter of course Ialways check for firmware updates on any electronics I buy. Who knows how longit sat in a warehouse or was shipped with bugs etc?

I went to the Pentax site and downloaded the file: k5_e114w.exeFor Windows.

When I read the read me file it stated:
PENTAX K-5 Firmware Updating to Version 1.14

Updatable models
K-5 digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver.1.00/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13.

I checked the firmware that is on my camera as shipped andit is Ver. 1.01 which is not listed.

Does this mean the firmware in my camera cannot be updated?I don’t want to brick the camera before I have even had a chance to use it.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
02-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #93
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarion Quote
Greetings Everyone...

I am new to the forum.
I recently purchased a K5 with the SMC Pentax DA 18-135mmF3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Lens.

I have not even used it yet and as a matter of course Ialways check for firmware updates on any electronics I buy. Who knows how longit sat in a warehouse or was shipped with bugs etc?

I went to the Pentax site and downloaded the file: k5_e114w.exeFor Windows.

When I read the read me file it stated:
PENTAX K-5 Firmware Updating to Version 1.14

Updatable models
K-5 digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver.1.00/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13.

I checked the firmware that is on my camera as shipped andit is Ver. 1.01 which is not listed.

Does this mean the firmware in my camera cannot be updated?I don’t want to brick the camera before I have even had a chance to use it.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
No you should be fine, for some reason Pentax just forgot to include 1.01 in that readme file. Others have asked this same question (possible even in this thread) and had no problems updating.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #94

I have noticed a significant increase in focus speed with the DA35 limited. Update well received for me.

02-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #95
Veteran Member

I have noticed today that the focus speed on my Tamron 70-200 has increased quite a bit when focusing out to 200mm. I was shooting a Northern Flicker this morning and I also noticed that the camera locked on much more deliberately as opposed to hunting and picking up on the branches like it used to do.
02-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #96
Site Supporter

Can I Upgrade

Thanks Adam

Actually, I did spend a couple of hours searching through the forums. Lots of references to Ver. 1.01 and upgrade or update. But I did not find any posts that specifically related to my question.

In any case, I tried it and it seems to have worked. Shows Ver. 1.14 now and the camera works. Could be months before I find out if there are any specific bugs.

Thanks again!
02-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #97
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarion Quote
Can I Upgrade Thanks Adam Actually, I did spend a couple of hours searching through the forums. Lots of references to Ver. 1.01 and upgrade or update. But I did not find any posts that specifically related to my question. In any case, I tried it and it seems to have worked. Shows Ver. 1.14 now and the camera works. Could be months before I find out if there are any specific bugs. Thanks again!
I'm glad Adam pointed this out, as long after Pentax released the K-5 it seemed that most cameras will still being shipped with 1.01. That was the case with mine and a lot of others I heard about when the 1.13 upgrade came out. So it is quite ironic that they left 1.01 out of the list.

03-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Updated firmware to 1.14

Firstly, updated from 1.13 to 1.14. (Mine shipped with 1.01 and I updated to 1.13 immediately after I received it)

Went exactly as per instructions, no problem.

Not sure if this is wishful thinking, but to me it 'feels' as if low light focussing is better. Less 'hunting' in the focussing, quicker focus time as result. Other than that I can't see any change to the operation of the camera. Will need to do some more low light shots to know for sure.

I do think it's good that Pentax continues to give us firmware upgrades for what is now a deleted product.
03-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #99
Banned

With my FA35, I finally homed in on the new fine adjustment settings- on 1.13, I had -9. I'm now at ZERO.
03-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Has anyone had any problems with the firmware download?

I have tried several downloads from pentax.jp and extracting them to a couple of different SD cards as well as extracting to the HDD and copying them to the SD cards.

Everytime I try to load the new firmware, I get an Update File is Damaged message from the camera, after one attempt, I had a heart stopper - the camera rear display would not work and nothing I did would restore it - until I removed the battery and let it sit for a few minutes before reinserting the battery.

Last edited by p38arover; 03-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.
03-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #101
Veteran Member

It worked perectly every time for me.
03-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It worked perectly every time for me.
Ditto here. I've updated the K-5, K-01, and Q recently without a hiccup.
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #103

1.14 Placebo effect or not, My fine focus adjustment needed a change from +8 to +3 on the DA 17-70.
03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
I have noticed today that the focus speed on my Tamron 70-200 has increased quite a bit when focusing out to 200mm. I was shooting a Northern Flicker this morning and I also noticed that the camera locked on much more deliberately as opposed to hunting and picking up on the branches like it used to do.
Mine too! I shot a half marathon last weekend and had quick and precise focusing speed with my Tamron 70-200mm. I don't remember it focusing that fast. Placebo effect?
03-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Has anyone had any problems with the firmware download?
Never a problem with me.
Just download the correct file from Pentax JP or Pentax USA, making sure you choose the right download for your operating system (and camera!) and do the upgrade by the book (from the Pentax USA site):
QuoteQuote:
FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS - WINDOWS

Click the Windows link below to download the self-extracting firmware archive file (k5_e114w.exe). Click SAVE to save the download file to your computer's hard drive. Saving it to your desktop, for example, will make it easy to find after the download is complete. Please note: this download file is not the firmware update file itself, but a compressed archive that must be expanded in the following step.

Next, double click the download file to expand it. Once expanded, you will see a readme text file (README.TXT) and the firmware update file itself (FWDC209B.BIN). The readme file contains instructions similar to what you are reading on this page.

You must now copy the firmware update file (FWDC209B.BIN) to your camera's memory card. When you connect the camera directly to your computer (or if you use a card reader), the memory card appears as a removable disk drive in the My Computer window. Make sure you are using a blank/formatted memory card, then drag & drop (or copy & paste) the firmware update file (FWDC209B.BIN) from the desktop to your removable disk window, which is the camera's memory card. Please note: You must put the firmware update file (FWDC209B.BIN) directly onto the removable disk; it cannot be in any sub-folders. It must be on the top (or root) level of the removable disk.

Now that you have copied the firmware update file (FWDC209B.BIN) to your camera's memory card, you are ready to install it. Make sure your camera is turned off and disconnected from the computer. Make sure that the memory card containing the firmware update file is inserted into your camera. Also, make sure you that you have adequate power in your camera, with a full battery charge or by using an optional AC adapter.

To begin the update, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. If you have followed the above instructions precisely, the camera will begin to load the new firmware. You will see the message "NOW LOADING" then the camera will display the firmware update menu.

Select "YES" using your camera's 4-way controller (the default is "NO") then press your camera's OK button.

The camera will now update its firmware. This may take a couple of minutes, so be careful to not interrupt the process.
When the update is complete, you will see "COMPLETE" on your camera's LCD screen. Turn the camera off and remove the memory card.

With the memory card removed from the camera, check your new firmware version by turning the camera back on while holding down the MENU button. Before you begin to take pictures again, be sure to format your memory card to erase the firmware update file.

Last edited by rawr; 03-27-2013 at 03:02 PM.