Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Questions about mirror flop

Just to confirm my understanding: It is mirror flop when I press the shutter button, and the mirror goes up and down continuously without taking a photo.

Brief history:
  • In early November my K-5 was locking up with the "battery-depleted" message, so I shipped it to C.R.I.S from my home in Mexico.
  • I received the camera from them in mid-December while visiting the US, but the focus-mode switch was not working correctly, so I returned it to C.R.I.S.
  • About two weeks ago, they returned the camera to me with the switch repaired. (I am still in the States.)
  • Yesterday, I installed 1.14. (I don't know if that is relevant.)
  • I had mirror flop a couple of times today, but it has not reoccurred. It had never happened before.
I am returning to Mexico on Saturday, so if I send the camera back to C.R.I.S again to repair the mirror flop, I will be without it for many more months. So, my question is this: once mirror flop has occurred, does it usually continue and get worse?

I've read that mirror flop is caused by a faulty main circuit board, but the main board in mine was replaced in November.

Jeff

01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Mirror-Flops... You will have to send it in for repair.

Jeff,

Once you begin to experience the mirror-flops they do not seem to go away. Mine got so bad that it began to really, really bug me. I sent the camera to CRIS and it was gone for two weeks. It returned and has worked perfectly ever since the repair.

My mirror-flops began while I was shooting a concert... didn't give it much thought at the time but as the issue got worse I was forced to send the camera in for repair.. it just would not go away by itself and there was nothing I could do but make sure the battery I used was NOT a full charge battery. As long as I used a battery that was not fully charged the camera worked fine. But let's face it.. who wants to use partially charged batteries?

I don't know if you have read my testing of this issue or not. If you care to do so, here is a link: Pentax K5 Photography by Jim Radcliffe
01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Jeff,

Once you begin to experience the mirror-flops they do not seem to go away. Mine got so bad that it began to really, really bug me. I sent the camera to CRIS and it was gone for two weeks. It returned and has worked perfectly ever since the repair.

My mirror-flops began while I was shooting a concert... didn't give it much thought at the time but as the issue got worse I was forced to send the camera in for repair.. it just would not go away by itself and there was nothing I could do but make sure the battery I used was NOT a full charge battery. As long as I used a battery that was not fully charged the camera worked fine. But let's face it.. who wants to use partially charged batteries?

I don't know if you have read my testing of this issue or not. If you care to do so, here is a link: Pentax K5 Photography by Jim Radcliffe
Thanks for your reply.

I just read your test results. They provide a good explanation.

As reluctant as I am to return the camera to C.R.I.S., I guess I may have to do it. The most aggravating aspect is that I've hardly had a chance to use my new 50-135.

Jeff
01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Thanks for your reply.

I just read your test results. They provide a good explanation.

As reluctant as I am to return the camera to C.R.I.S., I guess I may have to do it. The most aggravating aspect is that I've hardly had a chance to use my new 50-135.

Jeff
I know the feeling... I hated to send mine off for repair... in fact, it was the first and only camera I have ever had to send in for repair... but the good news is that when I got it back it worked flawlessly.
BTW my DA* 16-50mm was just delivered to my desk about 20 minutes ago by UPS. SDM went out on it.... seems to be working ok now.

01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #5

My mirror flops began shooting outside all day in very hot weather. Once inside and the camera cooled the problem went away, but would return if I took it outside when hot. CHRIS repaired it in a couple weeks and it has been fine since then.
01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm trying to find a trend with the mirror flop issue so I have a question -

Are you using the genuine Pentax battery or a generic when this happens?
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm trying to find a trend with the mirror flop issue so I have a question -

Are you using the genuine Pentax battery or a generic when this happens?
When it happened to me today, I was using a Pentax battery.
01-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
When it happened to me today, I was using a Pentax battery.
Thanks for the info. It seemed at first it might have been linked to using generic batteries, but the more I look at it that isn't the case.

01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

I've been there, done that.. there is ONLY one solution...

I always use Pentax batteries. BTW this really is not a battery issue.. it relates to the circuit board in the camera and most likely some voltage limiting issue that presents itself when a fully charged battery is utilized. Pentax has been totally quiet on the cause of this issue.. they just replace the offending circuit board and the problem goes away.

You will be wasting a lot of time if you don't just send it in and have CRIS repair it. There is no end-user fix and the issue will not go away until the circuit board is replaced.
01-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
My mirror flops began shooting outside all day in very hot weather. Once inside and the camera cooled the problem went away, but would return if I took it outside when hot. CHRIS repaired it in a couple weeks and it has been fine since then.
Most likely it was not related to the camera cooling but the battery no longer being fully charged. That is what I discovered. I also thought it was heat related at first but it does have to do with the fully charged battery and the circuit board in the camera.. it gets worse as time goes by... just send it in for repair. That is all you can do.
02-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #11

Most likely it was not related to the camera cooling but the battery no longer being fully charged. That is what I discovered. I also thought it was heat related at first but it does have to do with the fully charged battery and the circuit board in the camera.. it gets worse as time goes by... just send it in for repair. That is all you can do.
I was at an outdoor event when my problem happened. I though it must have been battery related too, but I had two Pentax batteries do the same thing. One was in my car in a cooler with cold water, the other one had already shot about 200 photos in the heat when it started happening. Outside temps were close to 100 and it happened around 4 hours into the event.

Swapping the partially discharged battery for a cool, fully charged battery did nothing to fix the problem. I put the partially discharged battery back in the cooler. On the way home I put the now cool battery back into the still hot camera and it still flopped. After spending the night in the house the camera worked fine, but if I took it outside for a few hours it would start flopping again with either battery.

Thankfully I had my back up camera along for the rest of the event, an old Pentax IST ds. CRIS only said that they fixed the mirror over-run problem. Do not know what that means, but that was several thousand shots ago and all has been fine.
02-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #12

Original Poster
You will be wasting a lot of time if you don't just send it in and have CRIS repair it.
I'm sure that you are right, but I brought my K-5 back to Mexico with me anyway. It spent two and a half months at C.R.I.S. for a repair and a redo, and I just couldn't bring myself to give it up again, at least not right away. As soon as the problem becomes too much to put up with, I'll send it to them from here. I spoke to a C.R.I.S. technician, and they will repair it under warranty if I send it back within 90 days from the last repair.

Jeff