Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only thing I will miss is the stellar ISO of the K-5, I was looking at the new Panny with the constant F2.8 28X lens.
What do you all think?

Thanks again,
Ray

02-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I think I have made up my mind and will sell my "rig" and purchase a bridge camera.
I enjoy the hobby but, I just plain and simple do not use my gear that often and don't have the time to PP my images (I shoot mostly Jpeg anyway).

I have a decent setup and it would probably be benificial for me to free up the $....anyone want to talk me out of it?

Thanks as always,
Ray
I'd hold on to it unless you really need the money. I took a 17-year break from playing guitar then spent a grip on two electrics and three acoustics(two of the acoustics were used). To this day, I've never plugged the first two in and have no idea how they sound, but I know if I did sell them, it would be a mistake.

Last edited by tabl10s; 02-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.
02-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I have made up my mind and will sell my "rig" and purchase a bridge camera. I enjoy the hobby but, I just plain and simple do not use my gear that often and don't have the time to PP my images (I shoot mostly Jpeg anyway). I have a decent setup and it would probably be benificial for me to free up the $....anyone want to talk me out of it? Thanks as always, Ray
I'm in the same boat (not shooting enough). But somehow it never crossed my mind to sell my gear - just "what should I do to create more shooting opportunities".

as for "don't have time to PP my images" I put up this thought: "I should make images good enough to NOT require PP". It somehow keeps me going.
02-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #34
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep it. You may have time and enjoy the vocation a lot more later on. What you have now wont sell for what you know it's worth. The K-5 is a stellar camera no matter how much it ages. As long as it works it will produce brilliant images. I'd say keep it.

02-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
sell the K-5, buy a Fuji X100, put in your pocket, carry it everywhere
I think the Q can better fit that bill or , say, the upcoming MX-1.
02-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I will miss is the stellar ISO of the K-5, I was looking at the new Panny with the constant F2.8 28X lens.
What do you all think?

Thanks again,
Ray
I go through exactly the thing you are describing and periodically decided to go back to using a bridge camera. I have the earlier Panasonic FZ100, and although the new one is supposed to be wonderful, its not something that would top my list of Bridge cameras to buy. Instead, I would probably choose the new(ish) Fujifilm XS-1, which has the same sensor as the X-10, the X100's baby brother. I might also wait until its next iteration (assuming there is one) and hope it gets the same sensor as the X-20.

In fact... I may go down this path in any case. I almost never use my K-5 *or* FZ100, instead, its nearly always the X100, XZ-1 or Ricoh GRDIII.
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I went through this just recently. I had kind of given up on photography, taking my camera with me only when I went on a hike or something, and even then, not bothering about composition and whatnot. Then, on new years I went to Boston with some friends and was hugely disappointed with my limited aperture on my kit lens. f/3.5 is pretty awful for night shots (as is shooting at 18mm) and ISO 1600 on the K20D is pushing it... Not to mention one of my friends brought his Nikon D90 with a 50mm 1.8, so I was pretty jealous. So I decided to jump the boat and buy a cheap manual lens. I did a lot of research and decided the M50/1.7 was the one for me. That lens alone brought me back to photography. And then I got a DA15 Limited as a present. I have a massive urge to go out and shoot something. But guess what? It's too cold. I hate the winter. I don't ski or anything so I am pretty much stuck at home.

Just wait it out till the spring. If you are still bored with your DSLR then there really is no point to carry a body/lens kit around with you everywhere. You should probably get a bridge camera then. They are actually very decent nowadays and perfect for general shots.

02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I have made up my mind and will sell my "rig" and purchase a bridge camera.
I enjoy the hobby but, I just plain and simple do not use my gear that often and don't have the time to PP my images (I shoot mostly Jpeg anyway).

I have a decent setup and it would probably be benificial for me to free up the $....anyone want to talk me out of it?

Thanks as always,
Ray
If I were selling out my SLR cameras and lenses, I would hold on to my Canon G-12.
02-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you really need to sell off the gear, go for a Q, Q10 or even the new MX-1. Q/Q10 have wonderful reviews and you can read them on the Q subforum before you sell off your gear.

The Q/Q10 is small and you can change lenses too. 01, 02 & 06 will be all you need to carry around for quick shots.
02-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
It maybe heresy to suggest this here, but have you looked at the Canon PowerShot G15? It doesn't have the optical zoom range that the X-5 has but does produce RAW photos. You might even be able to find a G12 used or on closeout somewhere. These seems to be the P&S a lot of "serious" photographers choose.
No heresy in suggesting other brands. As we are, exactly, looking for an advanced point-and-shoot - and not a systems camera - there's no reason in dogmatically looking to a specific brand.

I have not looked at the G15, but I definitely will, what you describe sounds very attractive.

Thanks a bunch!!
02-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you start shooting subjects you haven't done in the past and that makes it feel new. Maybe you're not happy with your results and it's time to read up for some knowledge and go out and challenge yourself. Maybe the hobby has run it's course and you're done. I don't know. I had a ZX-M sitting dormant for years, then got a DSLR and used it heavy. One day a few weeks ago I broke out the film camera and have started shooting B&W with it. Sure glad I kept the camera because it was free to get started again since I never sold it. Good luck.
02-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #42
Pentaxian

When I was teaching, I had in my cupboard about 15 bridge cameras. Most of what you can do on a DSLR you can do on a bridge camera. I know the FF guys will have kittens when i say this, but my students did a great job on narrow depth of field blurred background shots using them. They have enough controls you can take control of the camera if you know what you're doing. Didn't Pentax just come out with one?

PENTAX X-5. An all-purpose digital camera, featuring a versatile optical 26X zoom lens and a tilt-able LCD monitor | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

The 35 mm equivalent focal length of 22-580mm is simply impressive. You have to carry a lot of gear with a DSLR to get 27x zoom range starting at 22mm. For some people it's just a better solution to their photographic needs. One of my buddies has one from another brand that has the equivalent of 800mm at the end of it's range. He sure gets some nice bird shots with it. They'd be better taken with a DSLR, but you wouldn't have them taken with a DSLR because no one would hump the 560mm or 800mm lens into the places he goes to get the shots. So when you compare his pictures to no pictures, his pictures are great.

Every now and then I look at cameras like this and think "what's wrong with me?".
02-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
No heresy in suggesting other brands. As we are, exactly, looking for an advanced point-and-shoot - and not a systems camera - there's no reason in dogmatically looking to a specific brand.

I have not looked at the G15, but I definitely will, what you describe sounds very attractive.

Thanks a bunch!!

I have the G-12 and like it better than the successor G-15 because the G-15 does not have the reticulating live screen like the G-12. New G-12 is around $400. G-11 is almost identical the the G-12, so you might find a deal on a used G-11 or G-12. These are great cameras because they have all the same shooting modes as Pentax DSLRs. They also have a hot shoe for larger flash if the built-in flash is not adequate. The G-12 cameras are just a little larger than the point and shoots, but you could conceivably carry one in a coat pocket if not a shirt pocket. Image quality is great, the zoom lens is fantastic, and many people will find this camera all they will ever need. Hope this is helpful to you.
02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #44

Sell the body, keep the lenses. To this day I wish I had sold my old film camera bodies earlier during the time I was out of photography. Now they're basically worthless. The tech improvements in digital cameras will make today's models obsolete, no different than what happened with film. At least you can still salvage some resale.