Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I just don't shoot enough.

I think I have made up my mind and will sell my "rig" and purchase a bridge camera.
I enjoy the hobby but, I just plain and simple do not use my gear that often and don't have the time to PP my images (I shoot mostly Jpeg anyway).

I have a decent setup and it would probably be benificial for me to free up the $....anyone want to talk me out of it?

Thanks as always,
Ray

02-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Why talk you out of it? If you don't have free time, or have other hobbies you enjoy more, downsizing and putting the money elsewhere sounds like a good idea. Or you can give up some other activity and keep your DSLR. Only you and people who you trust can really answer that.
02-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

I don't know, I can't seem to be able to downgrade. I was spoiled by the K7's awesome build quality. Now only rugged metal cameras with big sensors do it for me.

I read that the new Canon SX50 has a 24-1200mm equivalent stabilized zoom lens and almost usable ISO 400-800, so maybe the bridge camera thing isn't so bad after all.

If shooting just isn't your thing anymore, I see no reason to keep your cash tied up in gear that is only going to collect dust.
02-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmmurray Quote
I don't know, I can't seem to be able to downgrade. I was spoiled by the K7's awesome build quality. Now only rugged metal cameras with big sensors do it for me.

A bridge camera is convenient but it's just not the same (although I read that the new Canon SX50 has a 24-1200mm equivalent stabilized zoom lens and almost usable ISO 400-800).

I love the Pentax cameras!
I gave my K100DS to my brother, than I gave my K20D to the same brother, now that I got my K-5 I think I lost the passion (and my brother ain't gettin' it!).
When I had my K1000 I shot several rolls a week and it was fun, now it seems not so, maybe it has to do with my age?
I think I jumped the gun (as I always do with some of my hobbies) and dumped to much money into digital. It has nothing to do with buyers remorse because I really like the hobby, it has to do with how good the photographer is.....I think this was lost with the film era.

02-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually go through a lull in the winter, and then rev up again in the spring. YMMV, but I wouldn't make any rash moves.
02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just picked up a k-01 as a backup. Just could not pass it up at that price. I really expected to just stick it in the bag but I'm having a blast with it. So much easier to pack than the k-5, just stick it in the coat pocket and go. Focus peaking is a game changer for manual lenses.

That's one possibility if you have lenses you don't want to part with, swap the k-5 for the k-01. Or go the bridge camera route, I used various ones for many years and was quite happy with them. Although, size wise the k-01 or the Q might be smaller.
02-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I usually go through a lull in the winter, and then rev up again in the spring. YMMV, but I wouldn't make any rash moves.
Raybo, I think you are just stuck. Sit on it. The enthusiasm will come back with just one shot. You just can't know when it will happen!

02-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I shoot too much. Really - I take my K-5 or K-01 to work with a lens or two, and shoot streets in the fog or rain, wilted buds on drowning winter shrubs, light and shadow, whatever. Most of them are junk images -- but every now and then a prize emerges. Not everyone would think so, but pleasing everyone is not why I shoot. Here are a few examples...

A bridge cam can do some amazing things, and could do shots like this pretty well - but it's not for me. Good luck deciding what's best for you!
02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Nick,

I recieved my K-5 last May and the shutter count is <100, it might of been a slow year but that is rediculous.
02-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I think I have made up my mind and will sell my "rig" and purchase a bridge camera.
I enjoy the hobby but, I just plain and simple do not use my gear that often and don't have the time to PP my images (I shoot mostly Jpeg anyway).

I have a decent setup and it would probably be benificial for me to free up the $....anyone want to talk me out of it?

Thanks as always,
Ray
It happens. My dad went through this and hasn't regretted the change.
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself if it were me. It isn't as though the camera industry is going anywhere. Besides... things will only continue to move ahead as technology continues to improve and who knows... one day, we will most likely find all of this body and lens stuff behind us, as lenses and sensors reach a point where everything can be accomplished in one single package.

That being said, I personally love the idea of a bridgecam. But I can't bring myself to work with the mediocre output that comes from them. However, if and when the day comes when a bridgecam comes out that doesn't totally suck then I'll be one of the first in line to grab one.
02-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Okay...what's a bridge camera? I just picked up an Olympus Pen EPM-1 with 14-42 lens here on the forum because there are times when I just don't want to bring my K-5 with a lens attached. Besides, I love ALT lenses on m/43 bodies!
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Nick,

I recieved my K-5 last May and the shutter count is <100, it might of been a slow year but that is rediculous.
Yeah...that's pretty slow. Hobbies do get old from time to time and some lulls are longer than others.

Personally, I don't know that I could step back into a bridge camera, I never got them as a concept. An enthusiast compact or a M4/3 would definately work and maybe a change in kit is what you need to spark the interest again. Or maybe focus on another hobby and and just get a simple point and shoot.
02-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Raybo or any other reader of this thread, I think these things run in cycles. I was passionate for a number of years using film between 85 and 99. Then I parked the gear and bought a digital P&S. It actually served me well. I took a lot of great snapshots at a minimal cost. Then I caught the bug again a few years back. I chose Pentax because all my old lenses would work to some degree.

It may or may not be a wise choice to sell your gear. All my old lenses work on my new camera (a Pentax exclusive). They don't work in the latest mode; but they still work the way I learned to use them.

Looking at it objectively, can you break even or fund another desire by selling? Might you be better off holding and moving on? Will you change your mind later as I did? I'm not going to make your choices and none of us should; only you can decide.

My only purpose was to make you think.
02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

sell the K-5, buy a Fuji X100, put in your pocket, carry it everywhere
02-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the winter (it was 9 degrees this morning) I am perfectly content to spread all my gear out on my desk and admire its sublime beauty. Come spring I will once again experience its exemplary engineering and ergonomics and admire the fruits of my camera walks - all of which makes tying flies all winter and losing them in some river in the spring pale by hobby comparison..