Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Raybo or any other reader of this thread, I think these things run in cycles. I was passionate for a number of years using film between 85 and 99. Then I parked the gear and bought a digital P&S. It actually served me well. I took a lot of great snapshots at a minimal cost. Then I caught the bug again a few years back. I chose Pentax because all my old lenses would work to some degree.

It may or may not be a wise choice to sell your gear. All my old lenses work on my new camera (a Pentax exclusive). They don't work in the latest mode; but they still work the way I learned to use them.

Looking at it objectively, can you break even or fund another desire by selling? Might you be better off holding and moving on? Will you change your mind later as I did? I'm not going to make your choices and none of us should; only you can decide.

My only purpose was to make you think.
Colbyt,

I really like my legacy lenses, that's one of the reasons I stuck with Pentax....I even bought more of them as time went on.
I might loose a bit of money but that would be expected, and NO, I will not change my mind.

I will list my stuff on these forums in the next couple of weeks after I figure out what the "stuff" is worth (and after I pay.................)
If anyone would like to give me a few pointers please PM me.

Thanks again,
Ray

02-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the ocean, harbors, boats and lighthouses.... I live in the desert. In the summer it is hot - even at night in the summer when its still over 100, you leave footprints in the asphalt. So, I too sort of go in cycles.

02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #18

You should do whatever feels right for you. Truth be told, I think many people who buy dSLRs end up by using only 1 lens the majority of the time anyway. It's only the enthusiast (majority of the forum members probably! ) who goes crazy buying multiple lenses in varying focal lengths.

You won't burn a bridge (pun intended) if you sell your dSLR...if you find you have the itch further down the line, you'll save up and buy new equipment. And probably sensors will be better, etc., anyway.

I gave up my semi-pro shooting and went for a good point and shoot for years before recently deciding to go the dSLR route.

Just keep us posted on when you put the stuff up for sale!
02-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Nick,

I recieved my K-5 last May and the shutter count is <100, it might of been a slow year but that is rediculous.
that is ridiculous

Get rid of that camera already

02-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Okay...what's a bridge camera?
I am assuming he means a camera like the Pentax X-5, It has a lot of the features of a DSLR but no interchangeable lenses

Pentax X-5 Digital Camera (Black) 12761 B&H Photo Video
02-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recieved my K-5 last May and the shutter count is <100, it might of been a slow year but that is rediculous.
I think you are in need of a change. My k-5 is 14 months old and 21,000 clicks.
02-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Nick,

Wow... I've had mine a month and have nearly 2k. So maybe switching gear will spark the interest. Maybe a compact ILC would be a good replacement? If you got a Q or a k-01 you could still keep and use some legacy lenses if the urge to shoot comes back.

02-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #23
NKK
Inactive Account

I think everybody hits that point sometimes.
Sometimes i just take snapshots at Family dinners etc for a while - then other times i go out and try to shoot some birds and get caught up in photography Again.

But when i sometimes think about the smaller cameras, i just can't get to grib with the ergonomics of those small cameras. I really like the K-5 as my primary shooting device

You could also try a Q or the new MX-1 to see if it would spark your interest Again with a smaller cam, that is easy to carry around?
02-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I just picked up a k-01 as a backup. Just could not pass it up at that price. I really expected to just stick it in the bag but I'm having a blast with it. So much easier to pack than the k-5, just stick it in the coat pocket and go. Focus peaking is a game changer for manual lenses.

That's one possibility if you have lenses you don't want to part with, swap the k-5 for the k-01. Or go the bridge camera route, I used various ones for many years and was quite happy with them. Although, size wise the k-01 or the Q might be smaller.
This sounds remarkably similar to me. I have a fairly large dSLR "kit", which saw less and less usage as I grew older and work/life started to take more space.

I acquired a Q on a whim, and by way of its fitting in the briefcase it's always with me and sees thousands of shots per month now, and it's great.

Rather than replacing my dSLR kit, the Q "revived" the photographic interest: the Q is a great camera, but it does have its limits (especially, lens-wise) and so it makes me actually make plans and take out the dSLR more often.
02-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
You should do whatever feels right for you. Truth be told, I think many people who buy dSLRs end up by using only 1 lens the majority of the time anyway. It's only the enthusiast (majority of the forum members probably! ) who goes crazy buying multiple lenses in varying focal lengths.
Nono, you've got that bit wrong: the crazy enthusiasts that populate this forum often goes "crazy buying multiple lenses in the SAME focal lengths"

Back when I used OM cameras, I had 8 different 50mm lenses, including 3 different 50/1.8.....these 3 were, you see, from different factories and so I clearly needed one of each to verify if the place of manufacture had any impact on image quality. Also among the 8 was a "radioactive" lens.....

....wait, why is that man in a lab-coat running towards me with a big butterfly net?
02-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
I am assuming he means a camera like the Pentax X-5, It has a lot of the features of a DSLR but no interchangeable lenses

Pentax X-5 Digital Camera (Black) 12761 B&H Photo Video
The darnest thing about this camera, and its brethren, is that they tend to output jpeg and not raw.

I've been on the look-out myself (for the other half, who likes photography, likes post-processing, but hates fiddling with gear) for a really good, compact, raw-outputting camera with a top-drawer lens. So far, no luck (so, the weapon of choice for now is the *istD w/ 16-50), so while the idea of a bridge is great, they don't "feel" to be where I want them yet.
02-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know. When I feel a dry spell, I do something else for awhile. Of course, I have little kids and so I take lots of photos of them, which keeps me going. Taking a trip to some place with cool scenery seems to help. Getting a new lens sometimes helps as well.

But if you aren't using your gear, by all means, sell it and get something you would use.
02-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In the winter (it was 9 degrees this morning) I am perfectly content to spread all my gear out on my desk and admire its sublime beauty. Come spring I will once again experience its exemplary engineering and ergonomics and admire the fruits of my camera walks - all of which makes tying flies all winter and losing them in some river in the spring pale by hobby comparison..

Off topic though we are, I hear you and +1. I have to admire Matt and all the others who trek out in this nasty stuff to capture some great images. I'm not likely to do it.
02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
The darnest thing about this camera, and its brethren, is that they tend to output jpeg and not raw.

I've been on the look-out myself (for the other half, who likes photography, likes post-processing, but hates fiddling with gear) for a really good, compact, raw-outputting camera with a top-drawer lens. So far, no luck (so, the weapon of choice for now is the *istD w/ 16-50), so while the idea of a bridge is great, they don't "feel" to be where I want them yet.

It maybe heresy to suggest this here, but have you looked at the Canon PowerShot G15? It doesn't have the optical zoom range that the X-5 has but does produce RAW photos. You might even be able to find a G12 used or on closeout somewhere. These seems to be the P&S a lot of "serious" photographers choose.
02-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #30

In my case, realize what aspects of photography I like keeps me going, for example I like the urban photography, but the K-5 is too large to go to work every day with it, so I bought a Fuji X10 to keep with me everytime, but I kept my K-5, off course. My K-5 works fantastic in my trips, for example to the Dakar. Or when I really need a good machine to keep up the timing, the X10 is a little bit slow for things that change faster, also the fixed lens and the smaller sensor.