Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Program Plus to K5

My first SLR camera was a Pentax Program Plus I purchased in 1984 to take pictures of our newborn daughter. The pictures it took were fantastic. Unfortunately it was stolen shortly there after. Between then and now came a plethora of point and shoots until a month ago. The purchase of My first DSLR, the Pentax K5. What a fantastic piece of machinery. It feels solid and well made. A truly great camera to hold and shoot. I'm so glad my brother reminded me of Pentax quality and to check them out before purchasing a DSLR. I had been looking at the Canon 60D. Boy what a difference, like day and night. The Canon looks and feels "plasticky". More of a beginner camera like the Rebel. It has the cheap feel of the Rebel as well. Our local Sams Club has the 60D on display there. As I walk by it once or twice a week I can't help but feel sorry for those plunking down their hard earned cash for such a mediocre camera. Even the kit lens, an 18-135mm looks and feels cheap. Just thought I would share my experiences of why I chose the K5 over the 60D.

Its too bad Pentax isn't sold at the big box stores like Wal-Mart and Sams Club. They would beat the pants of Canon I'm quite sure.

Yea.....I'm a Fanboi.

02-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
My first SLR camera was a Pentax Program Plus I purchased in 1984 to take pictures of our newborn daughter. The pictures it took were fantastic. Unfortunately it was stolen shortly there after. Between then and now came a plethora of point and shoots until a month ago. The purchase of My first DSLR, the Pentax K5. What a fantastic piece of machinery. It feels solid and well made. A truly great camera to hold and shoot. I'm so glad my brother reminded me of Pentax quality and to check them out before purchasing a DSLR. I had been looking at the Canon 60D. Boy what a difference, like day and night. The Canon looks and feels "plasticky". More of a beginner camera like the Rebel. It has the cheap feel of the Rebel as well. Our local Sams Club has the 60D on display there. As I walk by it once or twice a week I can't help but feel sorry for those plunking down their hard earned cash for such a mediocre camera. Even the kit lens, an 18-135mm looks and feels cheap. Just thought I would share my experiences of why I chose the K5 over the 60D.

Its too bad Pentax isn't sold at the big box stores like Wal-Mart and Sams Club. They would beat the pants of Canon I'm quite sure.

Yea.....I'm a Fanboi.
The K7-K5 just feel solid, no doubt about it.
I gave my bought in mid 80`s Program+ to my older daughter not too long ago, the seals are getting little sticky, but other than that, it still works good.
02-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

I got rid of a Canon 5DII with a bunch of L-series lenses, plus one Zeiss, because the Pentax feels so good in my hands. I do not regret it one bit, especially since I can use my old Pentax glass from my K1000 and ME Super days too.

Wayne