Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Live View issues

Hello, I am new to the K5 and seldom use the live view other then to check focus, exposure. But I wanted to test the camera out and I noticed it is very loud when in this mode also an hour glass now appears between shots regardless if I am in live mode or not. Is this common?

Thank you for any advice if this is something I should be concerned with.

02-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting RAW or jpeg? And if jpeg what processing options are turned on? Highlight / shadow correction? Lens correction? Composition adjust? Digital filters?

Also check to see you are not using HDR or multi-exposure, though that should be noticeable.
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
I am shooting in JPEG, no filters. charged battery and empty card which I thought might be the issue for the hour glass to show up. I do have distortion correction on. That's it. There is just a delay between shots for preview that didn't occur before..and in live view a lot of mechanical noise is the best way I can describe it. But I have been shooting with it for the past month and I don't see any other issues with the camera. I just didn't know if this was something that was a sign of an arising problem?
02-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I have seen people complain about the hourglass several times and in the cases where they reported back it was because they had some processing going on in the background. Highlights/shadows seems to be the one I remember being mentioned most.

You might also format the SD card to see if that helps, and make sure you the card is fast enough. I use all class 10 cards but I think class 6 is also fast enough on name brands. Try formatting the card in the camera, and check to see if you have highlights/shadows on.

02-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

As to the mechanical noise, can you explain a little more? In Liveview the camera has the mirror up so the sensor can see the scene. When you take a shot it closes the mirror and then re-opens it which sounds kind of like a double exposure. Hard to describe, but there is more going on with Liveview than using the viewfinder.
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
I do not have any other processing going on that I know of. I checked the camera a couple of times. I am using a class 10 on SD card.The mechanical is on going. It occurs when I switch to view finder to live mode. Maybe it's just the camera itself but it's a little noisy. The hour glass disappeared after reformatting. The noise well... it sounds like gears. like a little motor running...especially when tilting, which I assume has something to do with the internal levels ? though I think everything else is working again that I am familiar with since I am new to the K5 and it's performance. Thank you for the suggestion it helped. Also I do realize if I have a lot of processing going on the curse of the hour glass shall return.
02-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The sound you here is likely the SR servos. Do you have horizon correction enabled? If so, turn it off. Also turn off distortion correction. It eats up lots of onboard CPU time.
02-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When you take a shot it closes the mirror and then re-opens it which sounds kind of like a double exposure.
No, it does not move the mirror.
But it does close the shutter before it takes the exposure and then opens it afterwards which is kind of a double exposure movement.

The SR will be extra noisy if you have SR enabled, but it will not be completely silent even if it's off as the servos are still used.

02-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes I do have the horizon enabled. I will turn it off and yes I did have the distortion correction on but turned that off and the delay went away. If it is just the servos then I will not be concerned. Thank you everyone for putting my mind to rest. For I thought I would be looking at doing a return. I purchased it from Adorama and have not had to test out their customer service yet. But I do know they are recommended from this site.
Thanks again for everyone's input it has been very helpful to say the least
02-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #10

My camera makes the same noise. Even when still in live view and video mode it makes a mechanical whiring noise which gets louder when the camera is moved which can also be heard on the video sound track. It has been sent back twice to Pentax under warranty and each time I have had it returned saying the noise is normal and is the SR motors.
02-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yes! That is what mine makes. It increases in intensity when the camera is tilted. Well if that's the case then again I won't be concerned. However that would be a set back if I were using it for the purpose that you are. I am surprised that this was not considered one of the set backs of the K5?.
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trapa65 Quote
which can also be heard on the video sound track
An external microphone is recommended for eliminating SR noise from recording and also just for a plain improvement in sound quality.
There have been several threads discussing this subject matter.
02-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by macrogrl06 Quote
Yes! That is what mine makes. It increases in intensity when the camera is tilted. Well if that's the case then again I won't be concerned. However that would be a set back if I were using it for the purpose that you are. I am surprised that this was not considered one of the set backs of the K5?.
I do suspect that some cameras are noiser than others. From reading the threads in the past noise did come up but normally only noticed in a very quiet room. Mine is very noisy and virtually everyone including the shop where I bought it have noticed the noise as soon as you go into live view, hence it being sent back to Pentax twice. It is so noisy that I have considered getting rid of it even though in normal use it is a stunning camera. I would love to compare it with another camera but as they are rare I don't know anyone else with one.