Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 08:09 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5-II on magazine cover

Hi all!

In finnish consumer technology magazine was test, where they tested gadgets against cold. Only camera was K5-II and it gets 5 stars out of five!
They tested also laptop, mobilephone and some other stuff. I didn't read it carefully, but they mentioned that highend Pentax cameras cameras are sealed well and Pentax is right camera for people that don't care about weather.
And here is the cover (Jäässä means frozen):

LeGu

Btw sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by LeGuillotine; 02-05-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
02-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Very Cool Kiitos.
02-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very cool!
02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Very cool!
Lol, well played .

02-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice!
02-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #6

nicely placed
02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info ... J

02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote

Btw sorry for my bad english.
There's nothing wrong with your English - and it's a whole lot better than my Finnish which is limited to Jäässä!
02-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #9

This was interesting article, although short. Here is more specifically about it:

They did the test in two phases, first they tested it by putting it several times in -20 celsius freezer and taking it off. They tested specifically how the gadget reacted to air temperature changes. After that they tested it longer time in cold conditions, this time it was around -15 celsius outside, even colder. Here is the text what they wrote about K-5II and 18-55 WR (sorry about the translation, my english ain't that good):

"The better Pentax DSLR models have been weather resistant already several years and the newest model K-5II is no exception. The weather resistance of this steel bodied and magnesium cased body is taken care with 77 different seals so it can be taken without hesitation to the heaviest rain without fear it breaking up.

Changing the weather resistant kit lens may come to mind for people that photograph lot in the cold weather as motor-driven lens starts to be quite a burden to the focus motor under the -10 celsius. But even the objective lenses begin to frost in cold weather, the tight construction of the lens shows it's strengths as it keeps the camera mirror clean.

Removable battery should be kept in the warm pocket until the start of shooting. Bringing a spare battery for longer shooting sessions is not a bad thing either."

GOOD: Tight and sturdy body and weather resistant kit lens
BAD: Capacity of battery lowers in cold weather
FOR WHO: Photography enthusiasts who aren't afraid of bad weather
PAY ATTENTION TO THIS: Moisture condensation is the biggest risk. Freezing of the kit lens may cause breaking up of the focusing motor.

9,0 points of 10 (usability 9, freezing endurance 9)
5 stars of 5

Last edited by jpyykonen; 02-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
There's nothing wrong with your English - and it's a whole lot better than my Finnish which is limited to Jäässä!
Thats a good start, and You can say "Minun perseeni on jäässä", after long period of sitting in snow and shooting with Your Pentax gear

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
This was interesting article, although short. Here is more specifically about it:
Thanks for that!

LeGu
02-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Minun perseeni on jäässä",
This is a good start for "Practical Finnish for beginners" lessons here on the forums .
Cheers.
p.s. would you have a link to the article. My searches ended up at good old "Tekniikan maailma" site with no joy.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-05-2013 at 04:13 PM.
02-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, that's cool. And as always, "if you want to win, hire a Finn".
02-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
p.s. would you have a link to the article. My searches ended up at good old "Tekniikan maailma" site with no joy.
Unfortunately You have to pay to read article, and I also think that You have sign in mB magazines webpages too, but here are You:

Kylmä kangistaa 2/2013 - Lehti - MBnet

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
This is a good start for "Practical Finnish for beginners" lessons here on the forums .
And You can continue conversation with this phrase: "On niin kylmää, jotta kusikin jäätyy kaarelle!"

LeGu
02-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately You have to pay to read article, and I also think that You have sign in mB magazines webpages too, but here are You:
Thanks for the link, it did look like a sign-in and a fee were required.
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the information and translation of the main ideas in the report. I like the cover of the magazine!

I have very good success with my K-5 outside in the winter, in temperatures in the range of minus 10 to minus 20 Celsius. The camera has not failed once, although, as the test article mentions, battery capacity reduces noticeably - one of my photo outings was cut short because I forgot to charge the battery fully and it quickly depleted. I have not used the 18-55mm kit lens, but have not noticed any issues with the DA 50-200mm WR. Other lenses have included the Sigma 70-200mm HSM II, Pentax-F 35-70, and DA* 50-135mm. I also use several MF lenses, which require you to use tactile (lightweight) gloves to focus manually.

One of the lessons I have learned is "do not try to blow anything off of the front lens element..." (duh). I guess it is smart to not blow on the lens at any time, but in the winter your warm breath will cause frost or condensation on the lens. Other tips and guidelines for cold-weather shooting are well described online and in this forum - including wrapping your gear in tight plastic bags before re-entering your house. Remember to take out the memory card so you can download your files while the camera and lenses are adjusting to the inside temperature.

- Craig

(The ambient temperature in Ottawa in mid-winter can drop to -35C, although most days are typically -10 to -20C.)