Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's certainly not the case in France; there is a propected area for birds where I go regularly for shooting and in the blinds many Pentax users; I would say, 25 % of the camera are Pentax; most of them appreciate the quietness of the K5 shutter.
Cheers

02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Is that an exact translation? How do you say "Camera lens"?
No, it's not. "Objektiv" means "camera lens". A single lens (a piece of glass with curved surfaces) is called "Linse".
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Funny, here in Australia every now and then some young photographer upon sighting my Leica M9 looked at me and said "you should try a digital camera sometime". I also get some really entertainingly banal remarks when I'm out using my 4X5 or 8X10 view cameras from snap happy digital photographers, In the years to come there will have to be film photographer support groups. I know at least three Polariod addicts that are still having withdrawal problems..
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #19

I really hope Pentax will change marketing strategy ASAP. It has to be much more aggressive IMHO... I love my K-5 but here in Croatia it holds tiny peace of market...
Shame because it's with out doubt best buy...

02-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ranitomeya Quote
No, it's not. "Objektiv" means "camera lens". A single lens (a piece of glass with curved surfaces) is called "Linse".
What's the word for "Objective"?
02-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

"camera lens" is "Objektiv" (capital letter), "objective" is "objektiv". No misunderstandings in sentences, because of the rather sophisticated German grammar (compared with English) - at least for natural speakers...

Edit:
Unfortunately, Google Translate is not a natural German speaker - never trust a Google translation between German and English (both directions). Chances are the result tells the opposite of what was intended.

Last edited by RKKS08; 02-08-2013 at 07:42 PM.
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Table tennis AND Pentax??

I'm probably the only US PF member who is shocked to see someone mention table tennis and Pentax in the same post. Two great obscure hobbies.
02-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #23
Forum Member

I think that it is a big plus for Pentax. No one seems to care for the brand and you can absolutely fly under the radar. Especially because it is so compact.
I even had a friend who, when he found out I had a Pentax, said it was a fail and that if you wanted to really do photography you _needed_ Canikon (nothing against them).

02-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Objektiv

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Is that an exact translation? How do you say "Camera lens"?
In danish (Germany being a neighbour country) a lens is also called ‘et objektiv‘ or ‘en linse‘ (which also means a kind of custard filled pastry). ‘En linse‘ is a single piece of curved glas (..and the pastry resemples those), but since english has become more influential ‘en linse‘ has become a normal term for a lens, as well. However, I have met older photographers who have made fun of me referring to the ‘pastry‘ sitting on my camera Regards

Last edited by jt_cph_dk; 02-09-2013 at 01:11 AM.
02-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Dario79 Quote
I hope Pentax will never be as popular as Canon is here in Croatia. Since I switched to Pentax it's like I'm invisible:-)) Everywere I shoot nobody ask me anything. When I was shooting with 7d every time I pull out the camera security would come and ask me if I have permision to shoot.
Now with K-5 I can finally shoot where ever I want what ever I want) I'm free)))
God I hope full frame will be just as small)
I meni se to dogaja u sloveniji. Svi misliju "kaki amater" i puste me! Pozdrav!
02-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Germany is the country of Leica and Zeiss
Leica make some great lenses for Pentax
Attached Images

02-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Germany is the country of Leica and Zeiss
Yes, supposedly, but I've not yet seen one outside of a store window and that, only after living here for 4 years, did I finally see a store that had them. Even the Leica store in Munich buried them inside. I've never seen one on the street here and the only place I have is on the Brooklyn Bridge and Bryant Park in NYC this past December. I am now in a city with a pretty solid Leica dealer who gets used and new M9 and X models all the time, but the moment they go in the window, they have an "im Kundenvertrag" label on them, meaning they are already under a contract to sell them.

The only Zeiss I see here are the microscopes I use, Nokia phones (like mine), and a Nex Zeiss 24.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dario79 Quote
I really hope Pentax will change marketing strategy ASAP. It has to be much more aggressive IMHO... I love my K-5 but here in Croatia it holds tiny peace of market...
Shame because it's with out doubt best buy...
As far as Germany goes, which is relevant to the OP, Pentax DE/AT/CH is a disaster. Others have outlined how they go to shows without even cams. They're also very, very shady, as if they are run out of someone's garage or home office. They never have anything, they go to shows without cams they're supposed to be selling, trying to buy spares and accessories is like pulling teeth because they seem like they can pick and choose who to do business with, dealers are having to counsel customers away from SDM lenses and what the risks involved are, because Pentax DE likes to charge heaps of money for repairs that should be warranty and they aren't adequately covering their few remaining dealers for the services they provide.

I also love how they advertise on facebook that they're giving away cams, which NEVER happens. They might give away compacts, but I still have yet to see the K-30 and K-01 they claimed they would give away at a particular time.

It's a shady operation and Pentax should know because it's them that's the problem more than Pentax is, unless Pentax apathy is keeping this company as the distributor. Pentax-Ricoh desperately needs a new distributor in these three countries, but I'm afraid they don't care and they don't care that the customers desperately need this disaster of a company out.

I can honestly say that I understand the person the OP talked to, if that really happened, as Pentax is dead in the water in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. If you're in these three countries, it's a serious mistake to buy into Pentax is my only advice.
02-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #28

Like the detail re the terms and translation.

Re seeing other Pentax cameras out and about, I rarely see other DSLR variants out, sure compacts are seen but not us "big bodies". I could say I've seen less than half a dozen at different venues/country locations over the last 8 years.
A minority yes but we're not canikon clones of which a majority probably never even take it out of simple or "green" mode.
I've see an IstDL, a K20d and a few at the time I could not see clearly to identify.

Alan
02-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #29
Pentaxian

One of pathologist coworkers calls them objectives too, which of course makes sense since the lenses on a microscope are called objectives.
02-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #30

I guess only english speaking world call it "camera lens", because we here in Lithuania call it 'Objektyvas". As far as i know in russian it is also "Объектив", an in polish too - "obiektyw".