Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I have both a K5 and a K5iis; I love them much, the K5iis gives sharper, crisper images BUT I use it with high end lenses FA*600, DA*300, FA31 limited and so on... and it is only visible at very high magnification levels. I'm not conviced that with an average zoom the extra bucks for the "s" version are justified.
I often shoot birds and moiré is not an issue.
Thank-you for your experience with the K-5iis. You have some very, very nice glass at your disposal, and I have read that such jewels bring out the maximum benefits from the iis.

02-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Santoku Quote
I am glad that you are enjoying the K-5iis. Do you normally shoot RAW or JPG ? and with the K-r, did you find yourself engaging in capture post-processing that you are not doing now with the iis ? Cheers !
I'll be interested in hearing his answer, but for me the deciding factor when choosing the IIs over the II was the improvement in JPGs. In researching it, I noticed the Nikon D800E JPGs showed improvements over the D800. So I took a gamble and pre-ordered the K-5 IIs. I normally shoot RAW (PEF) + JPG, but for sports I'll shoot JPG only. In practice, most of my photos go unedited, so this was important for me.

And in practice, the way I view the moire problem is this: It's usually not noticeable, even if a little bit is there. It's just another small imperfection in the photo, like many others. People are already conditioned to largely ignore it, because we saw it for so many years on interlaced TV. I find PF more bothersome, for example, and I usually ignore even that.

Honestly, the only hesitation with the K-5 IIs is I'm not sure I like the color rendering as much. But I'm finding that whenever I grab one camera to take some shots, it's inevitably the IIs, or occasionally the K200D for its CCD color or the way it pairs well with some of my MF lenses. It's never the K-5 any more.
02-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

How have you found using the grip ? That was something else I am considering as the Sigma EX 50-150 f/2.8 is a bit heavy on the front of the K-x, and I am looking to fill out my zoom stable with a Siggy EX 100-300 f/4 when I can negotiate the right price for one. Had a line on two in the past couple of months, but in the words of Maxwell Smart "Missed it by THAT much...".
Well usually when Max Smart says it some poor fellow just died. I hope it wasn't that tragic

I got two battery grips - one for each camera. One is the genuine Pentax grip; the other was this one: Newegg.com - Battery Grip For Pentax K7 K-7 DSRL D-BG4 It's an exact copy (minus the weather sealing) and I can even swap the battery tray from one to the other. The buttons are a little bit cheaper, but good enough that I don't usually notice unless I'm thinking about it. Still, the original grip is a little more solid, and I consider it worth what I paid for it. If I'd just purchased 2 of the knock-offs I'd probably be OK with that too. Naturally I put the cheaper grip on the original K-5.
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Lol....my father once pontificated to me "it's not about what you need, but what you want" I have many of the lenses I have now because I was busy creeping on used boards ("researching") and found reasonable to good deals that I convinced myself I could not pass up. It never ceases to amaze me, the mental trickery I can play on myself in the name of reducing the dissonance between my values of patience and moderation and my need for "stuff". That being said, I find there to be few more personally satisfying experiences than triggering the shutter on a fine camera, or strumming the strings through a toneful vintage amplifier.

This self-awareness though brings me back to the reality of my current level of skill and use. Will I put the filterless model to best use ? which really requires good quality glass and good technique, or does the extra clarity off the sensor benefit all photographers for 99% of the shots they will take ? Cheers !
, exactly. I've sold off a good bit of gear that I convinced myself I "needed" The Q has been a great fun camera that I use instead of a P&S and when I need to go light. The K-01 is turning out to be better for my Macro work than my K-5 because of the focus peaking and for $150 it was a steal. I sold off the K-x to offset the cost of those two and so in the end I have a K-01, Q, 01, 02, and 03 lenses and my net out of pocket after selling a 40XS, second Q body, K-x, etc. is near 0.

On the IIs and the other options; I think if you don't like to tweak photos in post, I know I don't, then the IIs is a better choice unless you are shooting a lot of things that have a geometric pattern that will likely produce moire. If you like post or are shooting a lot of moire producing subjects then the K-5 or II would be a better choice. The K-5 is at a killer price level now too. I've had mine 14 months and got it for $995 back then, and am glad that I did, but these prices are so much better. On the grip issue, like DSims - I also own 2 - one of each - and the $35 knock off does a great job without being weather sealed. Good luck with your choice.

02-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Well usually when Max Smart says it some poor fellow just died. I hope it wasn't that tragic
Wasn't sure who would pick up on the dated series reference...bravo !

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I got two battery grips - one for each camera. One is the genuine Pentax grip; the other was this one: Newegg.com - Battery Grip For Pentax K7 K-7 DSRL D-BG4 It's an exact copy (minus the weather sealing) and I can even swap the battery tray from one to the other. The buttons are a little bit cheaper, but good enough that I don't usually notice unless I'm thinking about it. Still, the original grip is a little more solid, and I consider it worth what I paid for it. If I'd just purchased 2 of the knock-offs I'd probably be OK with that too.
I thought about starting off with a knock-off to see if it works for me, and how often I use it. For less than 1/4 the price of the original, it seems like a cost-effective strategy for a newcomer to grips as long as the general feel, use and reliability is reasonable.
02-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I see a lot of mkiis owners expressing how sharp their bodies are. As mkii owner i can say the mkii is also vastly sharper over the mki and think this has more to do with focus speed and accuracy than anything else.
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
I see a lot of mkiis owners expressing how sharp their bodies are. As mkii owner i can say the mkii is also vastly sharper over the mki and think this has more to do with focus speed and accuracy than anything else.
I am sure either of the Mk2 versions will be a sizable upgrade in focus speed and accuracy over my K-x, as much as I love the little marvel. The advantage of getting the K-5ii would be getting better at capture sharpening ! However, if my skill at that is anything like my espresso pulls, I will manage to feel pretty good about mediocre results