Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Any advice on memory card speed? brand?

Hi all. Can anyone offer some advice on what speeds of memory card are recommended for the k-5 ii/iis? I just bought this camera and want to make sure I don't get one that's too slow. The manual doesn't seem to have guidance on this topic.

My use will be 98% pics, 2% movies. I also might want to do the 5x frames/sec on occasion.

Also, are there any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks.

02-07-2013, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Euler Quote
Hi all. Can anyone offer some advice on what speeds of memory card are recommended for the k-5 ii/iis? I just bought this camera and want to make sure I don't get one that's too slow. The manual doesn't seem to have guidance on this topic.

My use will be 98% pics, 2% movies. I also might want to do the 5x frames/sec on occasion.

Also, are there any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks.
Anything 30Mb/s or faster will be fine for the K-5. Here's what I use:

SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I

Faster cards will let you download to your PC faster, but you shouldn't see much of a difference during continuous shooting with faster cards. Sandisk has proved to be very reliable, so I prefer to stick with them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK, thanks Adam
02-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed on the SanDisk UHS-1 cards, actual write speed with my MicroSD(in an adapter) through a USB 3.0 reader/writer is 54MBPS. Far faster than any current camera would be able to write(Not like it would matter, the buffer couldn't clear that fast anyways).

Another brand to look at is "In-House" styles though, usually they carry lifetime warranties with an over the counter trade in(In the event of an issue). Got one from Black's Photography, it writes at 30MBPS(10/MBs advertised, though), it's been my "Always there" card for a while now.(Granted, it's broken twice, but never beyond the point of being able to recover the data, and then go get a new one)

A company to avoid would be WinTec. Had one, burnt out in a week, returned it. Had a friend who got a 64GB card from them, about the same story. If it's too cheap to be true, it probably is!

02-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would say this is the best deal going from B&H - two quality 16Gb cards for around $36. I have a stack of Sandisk at this speed and never been given a moments trouble.

SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 SDSDX2-016G-X46
02-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Forum Member

I use 30MB/s sandisk class 10 card. But I feel K5 takes quite some time to write the data for every shot.

just feeling
02-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Banned

I do Sandisk extreme in all my equipment now.

I was using a Samsung card and I'm so lucky I offloaded the once-in-a-lifetime pics from NYC I took during my last visit home because the card died a few weeks ago and it was only about a year old. Completely unrecoverable data.

Samsung also tests their cards differently, so expect higher write speeds than much of the competition for the same class.

02-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use SanDisk. Very reliable brand.
02-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sandisk extreme pro. They seem to recover a bit quicker after leaning on the shutter button for a while. It doesn't seem to degrade in performance as the card fills up. I have gotten into a habit of formatting when 300+ shots were on the card because the performance degrades so much, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the extreme pro.