Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird thing after K-5 update

Updated to 1.14 last night and did a session today.
When I got home I plugged it into my "for photography only" computer and the usb connection wasn't recognized. Never had this problem before. Two usb's on the front of this computer and neither worked. I also have two Pentax cables to try, same result.
I thought i'd try using a flash drive. So I connected the K-5 to a laptop. No problem there, and I was able to copy the photos to the laptop's hard drive.
Next i copied the photos to a flash drive and when I plugged it into the photography computer it was recognized with no problem and I got the photos across.

Has anyone else had a similar problem after updating to 1.14 ?

02-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you using Windows ? Did you connect an external disk ?
Sometimes the disk drive letter is in use and you can't see the camera's drive.
Can you try to change from MSC to PTX (device).
02-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Are you using Windows ? Did you connect an external disk ?
Sometimes the disk drive letter is in use and you can't see the camera's drive.
Can you try to change from MSC to PTX (device).
Win7.
No other external devices.
MSC, PTX ??...Whatever that is. Shouldn't need to change anything as it worked reliably before.

At first I thought the computer's usb must have failed but having the flash drive work proved that theory wrong.
02-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
MSC, PTX ??...Whatever that is. Shouldn't need to change anything as it worked reliably before.
Menu | Spanner menu 2 | USB Connection.

Perhaps the USB socket has failed on the camera? Hardware failure (zapped?), not firmware related.

No great loss. Ext card readers are usually faster on PCs, but may not be that fast on a laptop (crappy peripheral performance of mobile chipsets?)

Let's see if any other upgrader reports it.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-08-2013 at 05:52 AM.
02-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, didn't realise you were referring to the camera. It's on MSC as it should be.
02-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As dosdan stated, you are better off with a flash card reader 1. because it's faster in uploading your photos and 2. you're not using up the battery in your camera. You can get multi-card readers which are always useful if someone who has a Canon or Nikon wants to give you photos and they aren't too expensive either.
02-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #7

Multi-function printers have card readers built-in to them these days. No need to buy an additional reader if this is the case.

I would try changing the menu setting on the camera and/or a different USB slot. Assuming Windows - needs a bash on the side of the head from time to time when dealing with removable devices.

02-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Missing the point now guys.
A card reader is not the issue, just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem after updating to 1.14 ?
02-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #9

Missing the point now guys.
A card reader is not the issue, just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem after updating to 1.14 ?
not here. works fine after update.
02-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

While I don't use the K-5's USB port, I can't stand the silence. So I upgraded to FW v1.14 and then read a image successfully from the camera via its USB port.

Dan.

Edit: Sorry, jrforman. Started posting before your reply appeared.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-08-2013 at 06:41 AM.
02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

no problems here either. Are you using the same cable on both computers? If not, try the one that was working. Otherwise, you might have to make your computer 'forget the previous device' by uninstalling previously installed driver and maybe it'll fix itself when you plug it in again. It's something like this link. There might be something similar for Mac if you are a Mac person. (Can't help you there since I don't have Mac.)
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Win7.
No other external devices.
MSC, PTX ??
I ment the USB Connection : MSC and PTP.

MSC is a logical drive
PTP is a device

You can try PTP to see if Windows recognize the camera. If not then there is a problem with the cable or the USB connector on either side.

Last edited by ihasa; 02-08-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Removed response to off topic post
02-08-2013, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Please, let's try to stay on the topic of helping the OP with his issue.

Last edited by ihasa; 02-08-2013 at 04:59 PM.
02-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For curiosity's sake, I switched the camera to PTP. and the photography computer sees it.
Next, I switched back to MSC and plugged it into two other laptops and two other desktops. Both laptops and the desktops saw the K-5. That's 3 laptops and 2 desktops that work without a hitch when the K-5 is in MSC mode.
Back at the photography computer I did all win 7 updates I could find, then plugged in the camera. Still no go in MSC mode.

It does appear as if it's a computer problem, even though the only thing changed is the K-5 update, so I will look deeper into it.

In the mean time, I'm still wondering if anyone else has had this problem after 1.14 update.
02-09-2013, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I had the same issues, with the previous firmware (1.13). I'm not doing that often, I prefer a card reader - but then I didn't had one nearby, and I only wanted to put the firmware file on it.
A camera reset, mode switched back from PTP to MSC and it worked. After the firmware update, I had no issues.