Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alan1 Quote
thanks for all of the reviews bit of a mixed bag,should I go for another brand lens?
I had the Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro, which most people say is about the same IQ as the Tamron 70-300 without the purple fringing :-) The Pentax 55-300 was noticeably better than the Sigma. The Pentax 50-200 was barely better in contrast and possible sharpness than the Sigma, though obviously not as long.

(Somewhere along the way, after the last use and before I tried to sell it, the aperture blade on the Sigma died :-( The 50-200 got traded, and the 55-300 ultimately got sold as I had a lot of FL overlap and it was the odd man out).

02-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
Some things to consider: - These were all shot with my K-r and the much maligned 50-200 at the full 200mm.
Good photos ... !

In HK, birds are quite common wildlifes and so 300mm is needed. Below links can lead Alan1 to have more references to consider!

DA 55-300
DA 55-300 plus Tamron TC1.4X
02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
One more consideration. These are wild mountain goats and a moose respectively, in their native habitat. Both were shot with the 50-200.....not at 200mm......but at 95mm.

Often it's how patient you are and how slowly you move around. WIth the goats, It took me a couple of hours of walking around in the vicinity to where I could get this close without disturbing them. The moose was a little different in that it basically came right up to me, but I was not running or moving quickly. I know birds are a bit more skittish, but the owl above did not fly off because I also took a long time to get close to it. My point is that it is often more about the photographer than it is the lens.
nice photos.the solo goat one is great. should I invest in a ultra wide angle lens?
02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by alan1 Quote
the solo goat one is great. should I invest in a ultra wide angle lens?
Well, not for the goats! .

You will know as you go along......you might want to experiment with what you have. I would say the 18mm of the kit lens will take care of most of your wide angle needs. Beyond that, you are usually talking relatively big dollars.....so investment is a good word.

As far as the long end, in spite of my posts, I wouldn't take my photos as an absolute example for the 50-200. You might use it in different situations and see if you have a good copy. And as others suggested, the 55-300 is an excellent lens and provides that extra length when needed. And, as SpecialK suggested, the Sigma 70-300 APO is a legitimate substitute. I also have that lens and find it to be an amazing value. It has the dedicated macro, and I found it to be much sharper at various apertures than I expected.