Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Is there more risk of camera shake with the IIs?

02-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nope, there is more risk of moiré on clothes, or on birds feathers; but honestly, being a bird shooter with the K5iis, and the marvallous FA*600, not found moiré so far; rare occurences that are not seen if you don't look for it.
02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks!
02-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go on.....Get it, you know you want one!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChuckB28 Quote
Not a price issue. I'm going to do a lot of portrait work with it. I'm afraid the IIs will be TOO sharp. (can't believe I'm saying that.)
I would go for the normal version then, the slightly less sharpness is easily dealt with with sharpening by the software and you can automate that process, however removing moire is for the most part manual work. I even get moire with the normal version so...

About resolution and sharpness differnces, look here.
Some say there is a resolution differnce but when asked to point out the differnces they can't surprising enough...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/207505-pentax-k-5-iis-vs-k-5-ii-take-two.html
02-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I've told you on the Dutch forum: you will not be able to bring details in your photo's that are not in it with the help of software.
It is only possible to sharpen the edges, not to bring in detail again. And as DXO labs has stated in their tests, the K5IIs brings more detail than the K5II.
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edzo Quote
I've told you on the Dutch forum: you will not be able to bring details in your photo's that are not in it with the help of software.
It is only possible to sharpen the edges, not to bring in detail again. And as DXO labs has stated in their tests, the K5IIs brings more detail than the K5II.
All very well and that is indeed the theory but when i show the photos in the thread i linked to above your post, you were unable to point me to any difference in resolution in the photo.
So any form of detail the normal version was lacking against the S version.

So in practice the difference are so small that they are not visible it seems after you processed your photos correctly.

Don't come the S version looks sharper out of the camera because that's indeed true but thats why "capture sharpening" needs to be done with camera's with an AA filter.

DXO has not stated that and DXO does not test resolution either... they explain why the AA filter is removed and the pros and cons but they do NOT compare the cameras head to head.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Pentax-K-5-IIs...del-the-K-5-II

Last edited by Anvh; 02-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.
02-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #23

Original Poster
Do you think I will see a difference with just the 18-55 WR?

I'm going to get that one and the 50mm 1.4 to get back into it here...
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Do you think I will see a difference with just the 18-55 WR?

I'm going to get that one and the 50mm 1.4 to get back into it here...
Depends on how you compare the photos.

If you directly compare them out of the camera you will indeed see a huge difference regardless the lens.
But if you edit the photos and preform for example capture sharpening the difference should be far less, some examples show they image to be almost identical.
Therefore i find it hard to judge the effect of removing the AA filter really has on the end image if you do edit/process them.

I already tried to get some more information about that but no one is willing to provide image sadly
This the only one i've seen that did edit both images to see what the difference is on the end of the line.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/207505-pentax-k-5-iis-vs-k-5-ii-take-two.html
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I already tried to get some more information about that but no one is willing to provide image sadly
Perhaps you should stop clinging on to the flawed notion that sharpening K-5 images can somehow come close to the output from the K-5IIs. Many K-5IIs users have already pointed out that there is definitely a noticeable difference in image sharpness but somehow you can't seem to accept it. Why should anyone provide you the images you want... maybe you ought to buy a K-5IIs of your own to realize what K-5IIs are already experiencing firsthand.
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Creampuff, what an emotional post.

This thread is what makes me doubt about the differnce in resolution.
www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/207505-pentax-k-5-iis-vs-k-5-ii-take-two.html
Like i said if you can point me out details that the normal version is missing that would be very helpful since i hardly see a differnce sadly. According to your post there should actually be a huge differnce, so how come i find these differnces so hard to see? I'm curious about your explanation.

Non of the reviews are helpful with this matter either, since they are comparing images straight out of the camera with the same adjustments by the RAW processor. That's were the fault lies, camera's with AA filter needs to be handled different from camera's without one.
DXO mark goes for example even further and they make for every camera and lens combination en special profile to ensure the best details.

I'm very curious about the end results and not the begin results, is that such a strange thing?

Sadly i ain't in an position to spend that amount of money and i would go for a normal version since i'm mostly doing portraits and i'm already having troubles with moire as it is.
Problem i'm having is that some are claiming that the resolution is a lot higher, i simple want some proof of that.
Is that so wrong to ask? It seems so according to you.

Last edited by Anvh; 02-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
Forum Member

Thanks!
ChuckB28... I bought the K-5IIs and haven't noticed any moire as of yet. If you're going to do predominantly portrait work, you "may" run into a little with the clothing vs IIs issue that's been documented. Probably nothing that Lightroom 4 can't take care of but, that'll be your minor conundrum. As for your lens choice, I'd advise against the 18-55 WR - again, based upon your subject matter AND that there's better lenses to be had for a bit more money. IF you want a WR lens at an affordable price, think about the new 18-135 WR but, probably not your best bet for portrait shooting. If money is a factor (and it usually is for me), think about the new edition of the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8/4 (1st Look: The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro Contemporary Lens | SIGMA Blog). I have the older version and can honestly say that you'll get better results than from the kit lens. Just suggestions. There are wiser heads than I in this forum so, you'll get good advice.
02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlamDesiAK Quote
Probably nothing that Lightroom 4 can't take care of but, that'll be your minor conundrum.
It works indeed really well for colour moire but it does nothing for pattern moire sadly
Have tried some tricks in photoshop against that but in the end you either need to clone from a part that doesnt have it or blur the part.

Maybe someone else has a good tips?
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It works indeed really well for colour moire but it does nothing for pattern moire sadly
Have tried some tricks in photoshop against that but in the end you either need to clone from a part that doesnt have it or blur the part.

Maybe someone else has a good tips?
Good point, Anvh. I think I'd still take the chance and go with the IIs.
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #30

QuoteQuote:
But pattern moire can't be obtained, in the same conditions, with II also?