Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #46

I'm glad I have seen this thread as in the same predicament. Seeing pics etc I think I may go down the K5IIs route.

The extra money is not a big issue, just wished I could get it with the 18-135 as a package!

02-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I got the K5IIs and I am quite pleased with it. Just the 18-55 WR does a GREAT job. I can't wait to see what a "good" lens does on this camera. Unlike Canon, you don't have to spend a small fortune on a lens to get a decent picture out of their cameras.
02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #48
Forum Member

I just bought a K-5 IIs on the marketplace and giving my friend my old K5.
02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Moire will be around as long as the pixels on the sensors are arraigned in grid like pattern. The only way to really get rid of it would be by randomly scattering the sensor pixels across the array. If they were arraigned more like silver halide crystals in film, then moire would be a thing that us old timers would be able to regale newbies with. FWIW, looking at my second K5 (K5 IIs), but I still think film has it all over digital photography.

BTW, weave structure predate imaging sensors by several millenia I blame the sensors for not being designed to take this into account. :-) Bad vignettes drive me nuts too.

03-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder if there is any difference in exposure under same light condition after removal of AA filter? In theory, AA-less sensor should get more light thus fast shutter speed. If it is true, it should be the biggest sell point for me, since I can keep either ISO lower or shutter speed higher under low light. Any hand-on experience?
03-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I wonder if there is any difference in exposure under same light condition after removal of AA filter? In theory, AA-less sensor should get more light thus fast shutter speed. If it is true, it should be the biggest sell point for me, since I can keep either ISO lower or shutter speed higher under low light.
Considering how thin Bayer AA filters are the difference in transmission would be less than 0.001 of a stop.

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Moire will be around as long as the pixels on the sensors are arraigned in grid like pattern.
Incorrect - Moire is only a problem with Bayer array sensors, if you remove the Bayer Colour filter array - you end up with a monochrome sensor: which is immune to moire, but the individual pixels are still in a grid pattern.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-31-2013 at 08:15 AM.
03-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Considering how thin Bayer AA filters are the difference in transmission would be less than 0.001 of a stop.
Also the AA filter is not removed but replaced by a neutral filter. In the end it should make little to no difference.
In terms of noise the difference will be that you don't need to sharpen a camera without an AA filter so much then one with.

03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see. Thanks.
For some reason, my impression was the AA filter caused 0.5-1.0 stops of light loss. Now I found this thread says that: AA filter removal - I'm gonna do it: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
That sounds way too much. And I also read this, says <1/8 stop: VAF-Series Optical Anti-Aliasing Filters: FAQ