Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I just bought the Pentax K-5 II (It arrived! First impressions)

I've been coming to these forums since the summer of last year I think. I was very attracted by the Pentax K-30, and decided to read about it. The camera has very good specs in the image field, but I wasn't very impressed with video. I ended up staying months here without having a Pentax camera because the Pentax community seems nice compared to other camera forums. I came across a good deal on a Pentax K-5 II from a seller online, and decided to buy it. Right now I have an Olympus OM-D E-M5, and the results from this camera are amazing for the size of its sensor. I can't keep both cameras though, so I'll have to decide which one works best for me.

Is the Pentax 18-135mm lens better than the 18-55 WR lens? I don't usually go beyond 50mm, and always stay in the wide range.

I'm so excited!

Last edited by memo90061; 02-15-2013 at 09:33 PM.
02-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It's about the same sharpness in the 18-55 range. It has silent focus, which is nice.

If you really don't bother going beyond the 50mm range, then just stick with the 18-55WR. Just be sure of that statement though - a lot of people tend to not realize what they are missing
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'm going to keep the 18-135mm, and see if I use it. When I had a point and shoot camera I would use the zoom all the time. I then bought a Canon T2i, and bought the 55-250mm lens for it, and never used it so I sold it. I haven't used a length over 50mm since then. Maybe I'll like it again? hahah. Time will tell.
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on your purchase! As a (not so concrete) rule of thumb, the longer the zoom range on consumer lenses, the more compromised image quality becomes at certain focal lengths (even high end zooms tend to work better at sweet spots and at certain aperture settings). If you don't usually go beyond 50 and you tend to shoot at the wider end, think about sticking with the 18-55 WR. The 18-135 is going to be a bit more flexible, and, at around 50, it should give you similar results as the 18-55.
You may also think (if you are confident about how you are going to use the camera) about spending the money on a Tamron or Sigma zoom:
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Zoom Lens for Pentax DSLRs 58C109
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] AF016P-700 B&H

You can get the Tamron for less than the 18-135. I've used this lens on Cannon and Nikon mounts and have been very impressed with the image quality. I know a few Pentaxians that have also been very happy with the lens (though it is not WR).

Keep an eye out in the marketplace here for some great deals. You've already bought a super body - there are plenty of reputable sellers here. We Pentax folk tend to take really good care of our gear

02-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the reply. I'm undecided on what I want now. I'm planning on going to Mexico in the summer, and they have rainy summers. I don't know if I should keep the 18-135mm lens, or sell it later on to buy the 18-55mm WR lens. That way I have money to spend on a Sigma 30mm F1.4.

The Pentax FA 50mm F1.4 seems like a very good value, but 50mm is too close for me.

Thank you once again. I should keep an eye out in the marketplace.

I feel bad on making these comments. I still don't even have the camera in my hands. lol. With my luck I'd get lost in the mail. *knocks on wood*
02-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!! The Pentax is going to appear "wider" to you, when compared to the Olympus due to the difference in sensor size. Certainly the WR lenses will complement the body, when traveling in the tropics.

I thought that the 18-135 was a WR lens...
02-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you interested_observer.

On the Olympus I would always use 12mm, which would be 24mm. I'm not sure what the conversion would be for Pentax. haha. I'm going to stick with the 18-135 lens, and if I don't use all the range I'll switch it for a 18-55 WR lens to get some extra cash for another lens. Do you guys think the Sigma 30mm F1.4 will be hard to find now? I noticed there was a sale for 289. That price is so good for that lens. I had it before for my Canon and loved it.
02-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
On the Olympus I would always use 12mm, which would be 24mm. I'm not sure what the conversion would be for Pentax.
Your Olympus OM-D E-M5 has got a 2x conversion factor againt 35mm full frame. Pentax K-5 has got 1.5X.

So 18-135mm on K-5 is converted to 27-202mm and you will get a narrower FOV. If you accept its wide, it is suggested to pick 18-135 WR instead of 18-55 WR. The former can bring you much convenience in street snap or in travel.

If you really need a wider lens, you may pick DA 16-45 F4 with less convenience and non-WR.

02-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply.

I've been thinking about that now. I don't know what I want. I'm not sure if I want the wide over WR. I think I'll just stick to the 18-135mm.

The camera was supposed to arrive today, but it didn't. I hate USPS and their wrong delivery expected dates! lol
02-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
The camera arrived yesterday, and I've been playing around with it. I'm amazed by the images with high ISO. They look really good, but there are things I haven't liked.

I was taking pictures with the flash on, and with the flash off. When the flash was on the camera kept the ISO at 3200 the highest setting in ISO that I have. The room was lit, but I guess the camera thought it would need iso 3200. I got used to the OM-D lowering the ISO when the flash was on. Focusing doesn't seem as fast indoors during the day. Our walls are a dark color, but sunlight was coming in. It had trouble focusing on my little sister using the 18-135mm WR lens. I went outside, and the focusing is very fast. I'm dissapointed in the video. I like doing video, and I thought it had manual control (I probably got confused with the Pentax K-30). I knew it didn't have many choices when it came to choosing the FPS, but I was fine with that. My focus is not video, but do like doing some videos from time to time. Another thing that I didn't like is that when looking through the viewfinder the view is dark. At night there was only a candle that was lit, but it illuminated the room. When looking through the viewfinder it seemed a little darker. It's not how I see it with my eyes. During the day when looking through the viewfinder I see a fingerprint pattern. I'm a little disappointed by these things and I'm sad because I've seen what the K-5 II is capable of, and the pictures I've seen from it are amaaaazing! I don't know what to do now. Should I keep it a little longer to see if I like it better?
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Ari
Veteran Member

Definitely tone down the auto range for ISO. And seriously, seriously forego using the popup flash (ALL popup flashes are useless, but most manufacturers feel compelled to include them for the sake of the consumer). Check your focal point settings - you have options in terms of where your camera and how many points) it's focusing. Also try spot metering.
I would be interested in seeing where your focal point was while trying to snap the picture of your sister indoors. And in terms of a fingerprint pattern, do you mean there is either a matte or moire look to your viewfinder? Sorry for all of the questions and comments - I think some of the issues you are having can be fixed by checking your settings. (One last question) what mode are you shooting in?
02-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
I always try to avoid using the flash, and only use the when I take pictures of myself or of food. haha. The camera was only using the center focal point. Yeah it does have like a matte look. I already read that is normal, I can't get used to it though. :O I've been using all the settings, but mostly program and I've been adjusting the shutter speed, aperture, exposure, and iso just to see the results. I'm so amazed by the high iso pictures though. I took a picture last night at iso 3200, and it looks so good to me. I guess I'm used to the sucky iso on Canon and avoid using high iso on the OM-D.

Here are some pictures I took last night.

This one is iso 3200 (indoor picture). It looks so good to me when pixel peeping. :O
02-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
Forum Member

The photos posted are believed to pick with DA 18-135 mostly at 1)18mm of focal length; 2)low shutter speed, i.e. 1/3, 1/10, 1/20 etc; 3)low ISO; 4)highest f-stop of 3.5; 5)metering mode of multi-segment

For such low light situations, you are suggested to use ISO of 3200-6400 and if more people actions, I don't mind to use ISO 9600-12800.
02-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hello. Yes I only have the DA 18-135mm lens, and I mostly stay on the wide side. I rarely go after 50mm. I kept playing with slow shutter speeds to see if SR works compared to the OM-D's version. I also kept it slow to keep the ISO low, but I would use it a little higher with people to avoid the movement of the people. I like it sometimes though.
02-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, ISO 6400 is very good in darker situations - pretty low noise, and starting there gives some nice flexibility.