Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worth the Upgrade?

Okay, so I was going to wait on a camera purchase this year because I am one of those crazy people who is waiting for the elusive FF unicorn...but as a wedding shooter there are some timing issues that I must consider. I don't want to purchase a brand new camera in the middle of a busy wedding season which is summer and fall around here, so even if they announce my dream camera, I wouldn't be purchasing before January 2014. Currently I am shooting with the K5 and I have the K20 as a backup. I am thinking that I would really love to have a two camera system as opposed to a main camera and a rarely used backup.

So my question for all of you K5II/IIs owners is if it was worth the upgrade? In looking at the two, I believe that I would go for the IIs, but I am also wondering if owners have been experiencing a lot of moire. If I was a landscape shooter I would not be concerned about this at all, but my work is mostly shots with people. I appreciate your thoughts!

02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Okay, so I was going to wait on a camera purchase this year because I am one of those crazy people who is waiting for the elusive FF unicorn...but as a wedding shooter there are some timing issues that I must consider. I don't want to purchase a brand new camera in the middle of a busy wedding season which is summer and fall around here, so even if they announce my dream camera, I wouldn't be purchasing before January 2014. Currently I am shooting with the K5 and I have the K20 as a backup. I am thinking that I would really love to have a two camera system as opposed to a main camera and a rarely used backup.

So my question for all of you K5II/IIs owners is if it was worth the upgrade? In looking at the two, I believe that I would go for the IIs, but I am also wondering if owners have been experiencing a lot of moire. If I was a landscape shooter I would not be concerned about this at all, but my work is mostly shots with people. I appreciate your thoughts!
Moire happens most often when shooting textiles, so I would stick to the K-5 (and maybe get a second K-5 to replace the K20). I doubt we'll see the FF until next year, though it's fairly likely that we'll see another DSLR before the end of the year- who knows what kind, though.

From our sample photo database:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is exactly what I was afraid of and I don't know if the K5II is enough of an upgrade to go for it over a second K5 body. Maybe I should just take my indecision as a sign that I should wait.
02-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ask yourself-is the K-5 you have now doing what you need it to do, is it performing satisfactorilly? if no then wiat, if yes then go pick up a K-5 now while you can get them really cheap......just a thought

02-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd wait too. The K-5 should be enough of a tool to do the job for you. It should manage well for most low lighting situations, whereas the K20D would do well for better lit scenes. Keep at it and save your pennies for 2014.
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been shooting a lot of low light social stuff so I'm glad to have upgraded to the k5ii(s) - if you find the k5 hunts too much in dim lighting, then you might find the new model desirable...
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is exactly what I was afraid of and I don't know if the K5II is enough of an upgrade to go for it over a second K5 body. Maybe I should just take my indecision as a sign that I should wait.
Any scope for renting a K-5 II or IIs so that you can use it to shoot a typical wedding scene to compare the experience with your K-5?

02-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 II isn't going to produce any higher quality image than your K-5, and the increased detail produced by the IIs truthfully may not favor your subject matter. Unless you can monetize the investment (you're consistently missing shots), or either of your 2 main bodies are nearing end of life, it seems an unwise business expense to upgrade.

I think I would either hold on to the money for now, or invest it in professional development to upgrade "me".
02-11-2013, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
The K-5 II isn't going to produce any higher quality image than your K-5, and the increased detail produced by the IIs truthfully may not favor your subject matter. Unless you can monetize the investment (you're consistently missing shots), or either of your 2 main bodies are nearing end of life, it seems an unwise business expense to upgrade.
A good point Venturi. But as Allison raised the general topic, let me ask a related question. If a second body were need for the application she mentions (wedding photography) which would do better - another K-5 or one of the newer models?
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

I think I would either hold on to the money for now, or invest it in professional development to upgrade "me".
So the thing is not about producing higher quality images than the K5 - it is about producing higher quality images than the K20. I cannot shoot as a two body system with the K5 and the K20 because there is a huge gap in image quality (because so many pictures are taken in low light or in a church that does not permit the use of flash).

I would like to be shooting with 2 bodies on me at all times so that I have 2 lenses ready at all times. Right now I am switching out lenses and there are parts of the day when this is not practical. I had wanted to do this by having a K5 and a FF body so that I could take advantage of the best of both systems. Since that is not possible with Pentax right now, I thought I might bite the bullet and get a K5II or IIs. Then when (I am optimistic) FF is available, I would sell the K5 original.

I already allocate a portion of my yearly budget to upgrading me. Plus, my "other" job is at an art school - I have a free premium Lynda.com account and I can take classes at the school (or the online version of the school) for free. If I didn't have those added benefits, I would probably do that.
02-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Any scope for renting a K-5 II or IIs so that you can use it to shoot a typical wedding scene to compare the experience with your K-5?
I have thought about renting the IIs to see the results, but I don't like going into a wedding day with gear that I am "testing out". I might rent it to shoot a friend's baby shower. I am not being paid for that and if some of the images don't turn out, she won't be angry!!
02-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have thought about renting the IIs to see the results, but I don't like going into a wedding day with gear that I am "testing out". I might rent it to shoot a friend's baby shower. I am not being paid for that and if some of the images don't turn out, she won't be angry!!
I agree (and never intended) that you test out equipment at a real shoot.
I also believe that if you test out a camera at a shoot, the images may be of lesser quality than the ones you take with your K-5, but I highly doubt they won't turn out at all.
02-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If your sole concern is the sensitivity boost then go for a shiny new K-5. Sell your K20 & *istD and you'd only be out about $300.

That gives you a matched pair you can run into the ground and replace with a pair of whatever happens to be the current model at the time.