Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
Worth the Upgrade?

Okay, so I was going to wait on a camera purchase this year because I am one of those crazy people who is waiting for the elusive FF unicorn...but as a wedding shooter there are some timing issues that I must consider. I don't want to purchase a brand new camera in the middle of a busy wedding season which is summer and fall around here, so even if they announce my dream camera, I wouldn't be purchasing before January 2014. Currently I am shooting with the K5 and I have the K20 as a backup. I am thinking that I would really love to have a two camera system as opposed to a main camera and a rarely used backup.

So my question for all of you K5II/IIs owners is if it was worth the upgrade? In looking at the two, I believe that I would go for the IIs, but I am also wondering if owners have been experiencing a lot of moire. If I was a landscape shooter I would not be concerned about this at all, but my work is mostly shots with people. I appreciate your thoughts!

02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,784
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Okay, so I was going to wait on a camera purchase this year because I am one of those crazy people who is waiting for the elusive FF unicorn...but as a wedding shooter there are some timing issues that I must consider. I don't want to purchase a brand new camera in the middle of a busy wedding season which is summer and fall around here, so even if they announce my dream camera, I wouldn't be purchasing before January 2014. Currently I am shooting with the K5 and I have the K20 as a backup. I am thinking that I would really love to have a two camera system as opposed to a main camera and a rarely used backup.

So my question for all of you K5II/IIs owners is if it was worth the upgrade? In looking at the two, I believe that I would go for the IIs, but I am also wondering if owners have been experiencing a lot of moire. If I was a landscape shooter I would not be concerned about this at all, but my work is mostly shots with people. I appreciate your thoughts!
Moire happens most often when shooting textiles, so I would stick to the K-5 (and maybe get a second K-5 to replace the K20). I doubt we'll see the FF until next year, though it's fairly likely that we'll see another DSLR before the end of the year- who knows what kind, though.

From our sample photo database:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
Original Poster
That is exactly what I was afraid of and I don't know if the K5II is enough of an upgrade to go for it over a second K5 body. Maybe I should just take my indecision as a sign that I should wait.
02-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member
BirdDude007's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
Photos: Albums
Posts: 504
Ask yourself-is the K-5 you have now doing what you need it to do, is it performing satisfactorilly? if no then wiat, if yes then go pick up a K-5 now while you can get them really cheap......just a thought

02-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,691
I'd wait too. The K-5 should be enough of a tool to do the job for you. It should manage well for most low lighting situations, whereas the K20D would do well for better lit scenes. Keep at it and save your pennies for 2014.
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,353
I've been shooting a lot of low light social stuff so I'm glad to have upgraded to the k5ii(s) - if you find the k5 hunts too much in dim lighting, then you might find the new model desirable...
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,389
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
That is exactly what I was afraid of and I don't know if the K5II is enough of an upgrade to go for it over a second K5 body. Maybe I should just take my indecision as a sign that I should wait.
Any scope for renting a K-5 II or IIs so that you can use it to shoot a typical wedding scene to compare the experience with your K-5?
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
The K-5 II isn't going to produce any higher quality image than your K-5, and the increased detail produced by the IIs truthfully may not favor your subject matter. Unless you can monetize the investment (you're consistently missing shots), or either of your 2 main bodies are nearing end of life, it seems an unwise business expense to upgrade.

I think I would either hold on to the money for now, or invest it in professional development to upgrade "me".

02-11-2013, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,389
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
The K-5 II isn't going to produce any higher quality image than your K-5, and the increased detail produced by the IIs truthfully may not favor your subject matter. Unless you can monetize the investment (you're consistently missing shots), or either of your 2 main bodies are nearing end of life, it seems an unwise business expense to upgrade.
A good point Venturi. But as Allison raised the general topic, let me ask a related question. If a second body were need for the application she mentions (wedding photography) which would do better - another K-5 or one of the newer models?
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
The K-5 II isn't going to produce any higher quality image than your K-5, and the increased detail produced by the IIs truthfully may not favor your subject matter. Unless you can monetize the investment (you're consistently missing shots), or either of your 2 main bodies are nearing end of life, it seems an unwise business expense to upgrade.

I think I would either hold on to the money for now, or invest it in professional development to upgrade "me".
So the thing is not about producing higher quality images than the K5 - it is about producing higher quality images than the K20. I cannot shoot as a two body system with the K5 and the K20 because there is a huge gap in image quality (because so many pictures are taken in low light or in a church that does not permit the use of flash).

I would like to be shooting with 2 bodies on me at all times so that I have 2 lenses ready at all times. Right now I am switching out lenses and there are parts of the day when this is not practical. I had wanted to do this by having a K5 and a FF body so that I could take advantage of the best of both systems. Since that is not possible with Pentax right now, I thought I might bite the bullet and get a K5II or IIs. Then when (I am optimistic) FF is available, I would sell the K5 original.

I already allocate a portion of my yearly budget to upgrading me. Plus, my "other" job is at an art school - I have a free premium Lynda.com account and I can take classes at the school (or the online version of the school) for free. If I didn't have those added benefits, I would probably do that.
02-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Any scope for renting a K-5 II or IIs so that you can use it to shoot a typical wedding scene to compare the experience with your K-5?
I have thought about renting the IIs to see the results, but I don't like going into a wedding day with gear that I am "testing out". I might rent it to shoot a friend's baby shower. I am not being paid for that and if some of the images don't turn out, she won't be angry!!
02-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,389
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I have thought about renting the IIs to see the results, but I don't like going into a wedding day with gear that I am "testing out". I might rent it to shoot a friend's baby shower. I am not being paid for that and if some of the images don't turn out, she won't be angry!!
I agree (and never intended) that you test out equipment at a real shoot.
I also believe that if you test out a camera at a shoot, the images may be of lesser quality than the ones you take with your K-5, but I highly doubt they won't turn out at all.
02-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
If your sole concern is the sensitivity boost then go for a shiny new K-5. Sell your K20 & *istD and you'd only be out about $300.

That gives you a matched pair you can run into the ground and replace with a pair of whatever happens to be the current model at the time.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
backup, camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, people, purchase, shooter, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A worth while upgrade? pcfranchina Pentax K-5 7 09-04-2012 10:26 AM
Kx to K5 worth the upgrade? tbirdas Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 12-24-2010 10:11 PM
K-5: 16MP, ISO25600 and 7 FPS worth the upgrade? JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 418 09-15-2010 06:08 AM
worth the upgrade? cinaibur Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 10-08-2009 08:54 AM
Upgrade to Tamron 17-50mm from kit 18-55mm: worth the investment? virgilr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 09-04-2009 07:33 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top