Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

L bracket for k5 + grip?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello Pentaxians. First post here. I have a Kirk ballhead and want an L bracket for the k5 with battery grip that will be compatible. Kirk doesn't make a dedicated L bracket for the k5. Does anyone have any info on a L bracket (arca swiss style) that will fit? I'm not too concerned about the ports that it would cover, but it would be nice to access the grip's battery without removing the bracket.
Thanks
Steve

02-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/132394-l-plate-k5.html

I have the mestos L plate - scroll down that page a bit and you'll see a picture.
02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You want a Mestos PD-K5HL - An L-plate that will fit the K5 with the grip. It does not block your ports and will fit Arca Swiss style quick release mechanisms . My Mestos matches my Kirk ball head perfectly. I purchased one of these off eBay after seeing references to them here on PF. The seller on eBay I purchased from is "dhsummer". It's weird, as that seller does not seem to have anything up for sale right now, but I would still try contacting them and ask about the PD-K5HL. Name that specific model, as they also had one that was the K5 L-plate for use without the grip.

The Mestos plates are, as best as I can tell, every bit as good design-wise as, say, Kirk or Really Right Stuff. The only minor complaint I can come up with is the powder coating on the plate might be ever-so-slightly below the bar set by Kirk and RRS. Seriously, we're talking 9.75 out of 10.

Come to think of it, I bought my Mestos almost exactly a year ago. I had originally contacted dhsummer perhaps in December of 2011 and I was told they were out of the plates right now but would possibly have more in March. I wrote again in March and luckily they had manufactured more. Mestos seems to be made in South Korea, and that's where dhsummer shipped from, but the two week wait was definitely worth it! I don't want to sound like a shill, but Mestos really impressed me. To boot, I was happy I didn't feel left behind by Kirk and RRS which make L-plates for every CaNikon under the sun!
02-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. and glad the Mestos is working out for you. Seems it is unavailable right now.
Steve

02-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was just reading a thread in which the company that was selling Mestos plates on ebay has set up their own site. I'll see if I can dig it up.
02-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's the thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/212892-mestos-pd-k5h-l-bracket-2.html

and the site is madforcamera.com
02-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Direct to the L plate for use with the grip:

Mestos PD-K5HL L Plate for Pentax K5, K7 Vertical Grip - Mad for Camera

Direct to the regular plate for use with the grip:

http://madforcamera.com/shop-by-brand/73-mestos-cd-5dm3hl-l-plate-for-canon-...ical-grip.html

Last edited by dmort; 02-23-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added second link