Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
There is no implicit or explicit admittance from Pentax that an AA filter on such a sensor is a fail.
Duh, of course they won't admit it. Especially not if it was a marketing trick to milk the consumer multiple times with the same same tweaked products.

08-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Duh, of course they won't admit it. Especially not if it was a marketing trick to milk the consumer multiple times with the same same tweaked products.
You appear to be saying that the AA filter in the K-5 was a marketing trick! Have I misunderstood you?

Are you saying that Pentax released the K-5 in towards the end of 2010 with deliberate deficiences (including an unnecessary or too strong AA filter) so that they could release the K-5II(s) about two years later and sell it to people who had bought the K-5?
08-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
You appear to be saying that the AA filter in the K-5 was a marketing trick! Have I misunderstood you?

Are you saying that Pentax released the K-5 in towards the end of 2010 with deliberate deficiences (including an unnecessary or too strong AA filter) so that they could release the K-5II(s) about two years later and sell it to people who had bought the K-5?
If they have no problem with a consumer buying a product only once and receiving fixes later on, then why is there no retrofit kit to fix the thick AA filter?

What earns them more money: making them buy a whole new camera, or selling them an aftermarket retrofit kit? Ok, decision taken.
08-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If they have no problem with a consumer buying a product only once and receiving fixes later on, then why is there no retrofit kit to fix the thick AA filter?

What earns them more money: making them buy a whole new camera, or selling them an aftermarket retrofit kit? Ok, decision taken.
As far as I'm aware we are talking about very fine tolerances here, not something you can just plonk in and be finished with. Firstly, the AA filter is glued in place, so the glue has to be removed, not very easy to do. Then the new filter has to be set in the exact right position - I'd say a 1/10 of a mm margin, most likely. You need an industrial robot designed for that, or similar, to do that - got one?!

Then we have the subject of warranties that will fly out of the window as soon as any tampering is done to any camera/car, whatever, if not done by a certified mechanic, in the employ of the manufacturer, or one of the companies' designated service centers. Then there is the question of cost - say it takes five hours to do this - at $200/hour, plus the cost of the parts, and handling, packaging & insurance. That's a lot of money!

Do you really think there is an aftermarket for this modification?!

Amazingly you are allowed to attach lenses to your camera that wasn't designed for the camera in the first place - I love to use Pentax lenses on my NEX, for instance, and C Mount lenses on the wife's OM-D, and so on. If the AA filter was such a deal breaker, why not demand a new processor, new, better, batteries.

Just a few years back you you had to send in your camera for a firmware upgrade, and I think there are brands which still ask you to do that (as you can theoretically mess up your camera for good).

If change of the innards of your camera is so essential, get a Ricoh GXR, as that is sold with various sensor/lens combinations - better hurry for some combos are very rare indeed! You might be able to interest them in a version with no AA ...

08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
As far as I'm aware we are talking about very fine tolerances here, not something you can just plonk in and be finished with. Firstly, the AA filter is glued in place, so the glue has to be removed, not very easy to do. Then the new filter has to be set in the exact right position - I'd say a 1/10 of a mm margin, most likely. You need an industrial robot designed for that, or similar, to do that - got one?!
I'm aware of how "easy"* it is to remove the IR filter. So I find it highly doubtfull that removing the AA filter is as difficult as you describe.

*: Easy, as in compared to your claims on how difficult removing the AA filter is.

There obviously is demand enough.

If the AA filter was such a deal breaker, why not demand a new processor, new, better, batteries.
What's wrong with the K-5's processor or batteries?
08-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #51
Banned

Original Poster

Then we have the subject of warranties that will fly out of the window as soon as any tampering is done to any camera/car, whatever, if not done by a certified mechanic, in the employ of the manufacturer, or one of the companies' designated service centers. Then there is the question of cost - say it takes five hours to do this - at $200/hour, plus the cost of the parts, and handling, packaging & insurance. That's a lot of money!

Amazingly you are allowed to attach lenses to your camera that wasn't designed for the camera in the first place - I love to use Pentax lenses on my NEX, for instance, and C Mount lenses on the wife's OM-D, and so on. If the AA filter was such a deal breaker, why not demand a new processor, new, better, batteries.

Just a few years back you you had to send in your camera for a firmware upgrade, and I think there are brands which still ask you to do that (as you can theoretically mess up your camera for good).

If change of the innards of your camera is so essential, get a Ricoh GXR, as that is sold with various sensor/lens combinations - better hurry for some combos are very rare indeed! You might be able to interest them in a version with no AA ...
There are people on the DPR Samsung forum that boasted about removing their AA filters. Just FYI. Also mentioning how easy it was. There's another person a year or two ago that removed a K-5's filter, but didn't have good performance results (mainly WB).