Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #1

K-5IIs vs K-01

Was wondering if removal of the AA filter will show a big IQ jump or not compared to Pentax earlier 16mp cams? Right now I am shooting with a K-01. What sort of IQ jump could I expect from upgrading to the K-5IIs? Biggest prints I may make are 13 x 19.

02-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is there a difference? Yes. But if you're only printing 13x19 and smaller then you will rarely (if ever) see the difference.

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

The big advantages of the K-5IIs over the K-01 are AF speed, a nice optical TTL viewfinder and better ergonomics.

However, if you're "purely" talking about image quality for 13x19 and smaller prints the massive price difference between the K-01 and K-5IIs probably isn't worth it.

On a personal note, I've found the detail coming out of the K-01 to be nothing less than extraordinary for a 16mp camera.
02-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.

I wonder if the removal of the AA filter will be a problem? There was a reason they put them in to start with. Anyone have an issues with no AA filter?
02-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There are multiple threads talking about the K-5IIs and the "potential" for moire patterns because of the lack of AA filter.

Honestly, moire isn't a serious problem on the K-5IIs more than K-5 II ... even when you're shooting someone wearing fabrics with an obvious thread pattern. You do get slightly better detail from the K-5IIs than the K-5II thanks to the lack of AA filter, but whether or not that is worth it depends on the photographer.

Again, if you're comparing the K-01, K-5II and K-5IIs purely in terms of "IQ" you REALLY have to pixel peep at 100+ magnification in most cases to see any difference. I really doubt anyone would be able to see the difference between 13x19 prints of the same subject taken with a K-5II, K-01 and K-5IIs.

There are good reasons to pick a K-5II or K-5IIs instead of the K-01 (a few of which I mentioned above) but there are also a few good reasons to buy the K-01 instead of the K-5II or K-5IIs (like the ridiculously low price of the K-01 or the fact that some people don't "freeze up" when you point a silly-looking K-01 at them the way they do when you hold a DSLR up to your eye to compose a shot).

02-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
There are multiple threads talking about the K-5IIs and the "potential" for moire patterns because of the lack of AA filter.
Moire is a problem,on the K5IIs but to be honest even my Canon 1Ds MKIII had problems with this fabric:
02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

From what i've seen you can even out the score quite closely with a 10 second adjustment (which can actually be automated with some software).
Here in Dutch we say the difference is comparable to "ant intercourse" i'm using polite words here

And actually you don't need more then 8mp (6mp if you want to cut it close) for any size of print.
The thing is the bigger you print the further you stand away to actually see the photo, so all in all the increase in size is canceled out by the increase of viewing distance.
If some people will put their nose against a poster size print and complain they see pixels... are people better to be ignored to be honest.

read all about it.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/print_viewing_distance.html

Last edited by Anvh; 02-16-2013 at 10:44 AM.