Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is a monopod a tripod (for SR purposes)?

Yes I can count...however I am curious if people are turning SR off when using a monopod?
I am planning to take some shots in the low light of a school play and was looking to take a light monopod instead of big tripod.
Your thoughts appreciated.
Regards Rob

02-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question. I suppose you could always do a few test shots to see what works best for your style of shooting.

Steve
02-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I leave the SR always on whether it's handheld, on a tripod or a monopod. I haven't done any real pickle peeping but I don't see any discernible difference in images with or without SR.
02-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I would leave SR on. This is my own theory but there is probably no risk for self induced vibrations as long as you hold the camera in your hands.

02-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I leave SR on when I'm using a monopod or a tripod. I've tested with SR on and off using a tripod, a setup that Pentax says should have SR turned off. With a 500mm lens and shutter speeds of at least 1/200 s I can't see a difference. I could turn it off on the tripod, of course, but it is an extra step and when I've done it I've often forgotten to turn it back on. To your question, I would use SR when shooting off a light monopod in low light. You will have camera shake with that setup, which is what SR is supposed to address, and you won't have the option of a fast shutter speed to eliminate motion blur unless you're willing to bump up the ISO and tolerate the resulting noise. That's what I would do, but I haven't tested it and I may be wrong.

Russ
02-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Shake reduction makes photos fuzzy - for crystal clear photos turn that SR off!
02-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I (almost) always use the 2 second delay or the remote when using a tripod, which shuts the SR down anyways. (hint: If the camera defaults to shutting off SR when it knows the camera is stable, you should to!)

02-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you use a monopod it takes away a degree of freedom from motion, but the SR still fixes the other parts of motion. I use SR except when I have my gimbal head locked on a tripod. With the gimbal free the is still possibility for ha d motion when pushing the shutter, but when locked it is better to turn SR off.

For a monopod remember it is just like bracing yourself against a tree, it is not really the same as a trippd
02-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
Inactive Account

shake reduction on tripod

QuoteOriginally posted by niiicedave Quote
I've got a lot of crystal clear photos with SR on. Do you have test images or can you point to any test on the web that shows that SR degrades image quality when using a tripod? I'm particularly interested in this comparison under the conditions in which I and many other people use a tripod -- panning the camera and firing quickly to catch wildlife, and using a light carbon fiber tripod that can be transported into the field. I note that Nikon's long lenses have a vibration reduction mode for tripod use, so it can't be that SR on a tripod is always a bad thing. But the Nikon VR system is very different than Pentax SR. So I'm interested in actual test data with Pentax SR under field conditions, not theory.
02-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niiicedave Quote
That statement is way to general to be useful. There are circumstances where this is true, but most of the time it's not.