Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I finally bit the bullet...

And ordered a K5-IIs last night! Of course Adaroma is out of stock right now (go figure), but that is not dampening my spirits!

I am upgrading from a K10D and am looking forward to being able to shoot in low light. It seems that my K10D is useless above 400 iso even when using a fast 50mm (F 50mm f1.7). There is just wayyyyy to much noise in my photos.

I mainly shoot landscape but am looking forward to learning more about photography and trying new things. Right now my main lenses are Pentax F 50mm f1.7, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR, and a Pentax DA 50-300mm f4-5.6. I know all the lenses will benefit from the upgrade, but I am hoping to get some stellar results with this group.

I am wondering about getting the battery grip. Currently I own a Pentax battery grip for my K10D and find it extremely useful. After checking out the new Pentax grip for the K5-IIs I see that they dropped the feature of being able to carry the remote in the battery grip. That sucks!! Does anyone own the Pentax battery grip for the K5 or K7 and still find it useful?

Wish me luck! I'm all sorts of excited to get this in my hands and start snapping away!

02-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its a lot of fun, treat if as the RoK n Roll star it is.

02-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You've got a decent set of lenses to work with. The only thing I'd do is get something longer and something wider! Still, I think you will like the results.
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
You've got a decent set of lenses to work with. The only thing I'd do is get something longer and something wider! Still, I think you will like the results.
Both are on my wish list. I would love something wider for the landscape shots. As for the longer lens, I have talked about getting the Pentax PF-CA35 adapter to go along with my Pentax PF-80ED spotting scope. That should get me some pretty good long range shots until I can afford longer primes!

02-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mr tibbs Quote
I am upgrading from a K10D and am looking forward to being able to shoot in low light. It seems that my K10D is useless above 400 iso even when using a fast 50mm (F 50mm f1.7).
The jump from the K10D to the K5IIs is a substantial one - both in terms of ergonomics and in terms of Image quality. One think that is rather Irksome is the placement of the Live view button - when I switched from my K10D to my K7 - I constantly bumped it for the first few days, so that is something to keep and eye out for. Also the shooting mode dial locks, so you don't have to worry about accidentally knocking it ever again.Also the dynamic range of the K5IIs is considerably larger than the K10D you can push the shadows are very clean and you can push them to levels that would have made the noise objectionable on the K10D

Just to show you the difference, the K10 does an extremely good job of holding detail, it is clearly better than the K7, but the K5IIs wins because of it higher resolution.
02-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the battery grip installed on my K5. I leave it on all the time. Makes holding the camera much easier. I am planning on getting K5 IIs as most of my photography is in the great outdoors and I want the better resolution. I am contemplating getting separate battery grip for that one too. Of course once I get the K5 IIs Pentax will come out with their full frame model without the anti aliasing filter.

FWIW all of my glass is legacy glass. I don't own a single auto focus lens. Hard to justify with the glass I already have. Got my first Pentax lens some odd 40 years ago.
02-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got an email from Adorama today!!

The K-5 IIs is on backorder with no known restock date.

Do I cancel the order and order from B&H??

02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

mr tibbs,
Same here.. Your last emoticon is exactly how I feel due to waiting on the K-5 IIs.
It has been more than 20 days now, and still no clear answer from the local distributor.
Well at least you got a reply. I had to send routine messages to get an answer, which is "Nope, it's not here yet." Arrrggh..
Hopefully the other store there has the stock ready, because here in Indonesia, every store is out of stock of the camera, and none of them seems to know the arrival date.
Pardon me for not answering your question, it's just I feel what you feel and want to share it.. (can someone here pass through the message to Pentax, please?)

Regards,
Jon
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nevermind, I got a new email today stating they have shipped my order!

Now for the shipping waiting game.
02-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #10

Congrats on your purchase!

The Pentax K5 grip, in my case, is helpful but not absolutely necessary. With the grip there is space for my little finger to rest otherwise my finger curls underneath the body. I will actually use the camera with and without though--just depends on how compact I want to be at the time.
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

you'll love the k-5. biggest changes i saw from upgrading from a k20 was that i could use iso 1600 with very little or managble noise. The locking mode knob is nice, i always used to bump my from M to X. And the autofocus is light years faster and much more reliable. Theres even a little green autofocus assist light for when its really dark, of course its only good for a few feet. The shutter sound still humours me too. If the K10 shutter sounds anything like the K20 you get what i mean.
02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Good thing pentax did the aa filter less first. Now nikon d7100 is following right behind ha.
02-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I read that article, They claim the "K-3" might use that 24mgpxl sensor. What will they do about the lower ISO?
02-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My K5IIs gave me the sharpest photos I ever get, not so with my K5, K200. All my lenses are on steroid as well w/ K5IIs.
Well worth the "upgrade", "s" version is the trend, and I will only buy "s" version camera from now on.
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I upgraded from the K10D to K5D, and it's a world of difference. I don't use a battery grip, I like the small size and use a Lens Loop strap so it hangs at my hip.
I will think about a K-3s, though.