Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #1

Pre vs. post processing settings

Hi Pentaxians,

I just upgraded from K10D to K5II. The latter has a large number of image settings unknown to me, and the manual does not provide a lot of details. Thus, I am in doubt how to set some of these settings.

I only shoot raw and then does the post-processing in Bibble/ASP Even though the manual is not always clear, at least white balance, HDR and finishing options, should not apply to raw. But is this also true for lens corrections?

The two noise correction settings (long exposure/high sensitivity) does seem to apply to raw as well. Is it worthwhile to let the camera do this? Noise reduction is all about knowing something about the noise, and perhaps Pentax does benefit from some additional characterisation. On the other hand, computers have far more processing power and the processing can be tailored for the image in question.

Thus, I guess my question really is: Should I just turn all these corrections off or are some of them actually useful?

Best regards,
Torben

02-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot exclusively in RAW and adjust my ISO and WB manually. The K5II handles noise very well, so feel comfortable using extended sensitivity and auto ISO (within a preset limit).
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

it's easier to say what does aply to the RAW.
Noise reduction indeed seem to be the case and highlight correction in the dynamic range option but tboth are better done postprocessing.

Also everything including the lens correction, are all aplied to the preview image inside the RAW so even though they do not alter the RAW it will take up processing time of the camera.
So trun them all off if you're shooting RAW.
02-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you guys, I will turn them all off. Indeed noise performance is quite good compared to K10D (at least four times better is my first impression) anyway. Looking forward to using it for real...

02-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Actually, at ISO 100 i find the K10D less noisy.