Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #1

Live View causing body to lock up.

Hi all,

I encountered a couple of problems with my K5-II yesterday that may or may not be related. I was taking shots with my Sigma 150-500 on my K5-II with battery grip (and second battery) when suddenly it stopped focusing and then although the display was still on, the camera wouldn't function at all. If the display wasn't still on I would have said the battery had run out, but the battery gauge was showing full.

I removed the grip and transplanted the battery from the grip directly into the body and straight away the camera came back to life. I checked the settings and I had the battery management set to 'Auto' - so it should have continued the use the other battery. Anyway, I put the battery from the body on to charge, put the battery grip (now without a battery in it) back on the body and went back to some shooting. I was doing some macro shots and wanted to use the live view, but when I pressed the LV button the camera locked up solid - no focus no button or wheel function, lcd display still showing and even when I turned the camera off the display stayed on for several seconds. When I turned the camera back on it would function normally until I pressed the LV button and then the lock up would happen again. However, once I took the battery grip off and tried again it worked perfectly.

It seems to me as though there may be some problem with the grip, has anyone else encountered something like this?

'Confused' Vormulac.

Last edited by Vormulac; 02-18-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Typo
02-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, just as you described in the first paragraph, but not with the same lenses nor LV (which I haven't used). I too found that removing the grip 'cured' the fault, but recognise that I also had switched the camera off and on again in the process, so although I suspect some interaction with the grip could be the problem I am not 100% sure the grip is to blame.

I have no solution as yet, but am monitoring closely and will try different combinations of setting with/without the grip to see whether the grip always features..
09-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
JEF
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had that issue, with no grip, on my K 5 II. I had the camera store do a firmware update, seemed to help till this past Sat. Usually turning it off and on helps. I had my Pentax 50-300mm lens on. Before the firmware update I had to pull the battery to get it to reset to work.
09-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, I have mentioned this before LV on my Pentax K-5 II. Hmmm so it turns out LV does have problems. When I choose LV it acts very very random! Issues like not focussing, no picture taken with full press of the shutter button. Yes it does happen only in live view. Lens attached is 18-55 WR.

Cheers!