Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Compositing multiple images shot using the k5iis

Hi All,

So I have a k5iis coming. It should be in my hands tomorrow (yay!). I got it to start taking more freelance work outside of my day job where I work as the photographer at an auction gallery. At the gallery, I use a Canon 5DmkII and shoot tethered to a Mac tower using Capture One. Now, on this particular shoot that I was hired for it's just gonna be me, the camera and some lights. For this shoot, I will not be tethered to the computer, where I have more control and the option for multiple exposures that I can merge later has come into question. Kind of concerning me. Partly because I haven't spent any time with this camera yet and partly because I wont be shooting tethered with a lovely 20"+ monitor (and cap1 to control the shutter) to preview my shots. Maybe just being out of my element. I've gone without monitors before. I have shot plenty using just the display on the back of the Markii (and all of you who only used film for 20 or so years are probably cringing right now - hey, I started out shooting film, too ) but I guess since I haven't used the k5iis before i'm a little concerned.

The other thing is occasionally I will light for one part of a image, take the shot using the keyboard to release the shutter, light for another part and take the second shot again using the keyboard. I will then process both shots, bring them up in PS, merge, edit out what I don't want and there we have the final photo. I don't always do this, but for a massive armoire or huge bed with crazy carving I have gotten in the admittedly bad habit of doing this. So, the concern is, even using the method stated above, sometimes I still get off images. Two exposures where I barely breathed in between were still off. Slightly, just a few pixels off and I have to fudge it a bit in post. The images end up being relatively small so it's not noticeable, but it's annoying. I always make sure to turn off the shake reduction on the 24-105 if i'm doing this.

My question is, do you think the SR on the k5iis will affect this? The first shoot i'm using it on is a massive armoire and a huge four poster bed. I was watching some footage of live view in action and it seemed so loud i'd think the motor would make one of the shots slightly off kilter. If I were to do this, I need two compositionally identical images, not more than a couple of pixels off. Does that make sense? Also, even pressing the shutter release button on the camera would affect this.

I'm considering getting a remote and or shooting using a timer. Are the Pentax remotes reliable? If so, would you recommend wired or wireless? Does anyone do much compositing here? If so are you shooting tethered?

Thanks for reading this! Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by wafflehaus; 02-21-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: clarity
02-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats on the camera! Pentax recommends that the SR be turned off while mounted to a tripod. Also, you will need a remote... any of the cheap ones off Amazon or Ebay will work fine.
02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Oloneo PhotoEngine has a mode for doing exactly what you're looking for. It allows you to take multiple shots with different lighting and combine them together. Here's the main features:

• Independently manage up to six light sources.
  • Control temperature, tint and color for each light source.
  • Set the white balance of each light source independently.
  • Auto-detection of each light source's color temperature.
  • Auto-detection of ambient light.
  • Brightness curve for fine control over the global image
Oloneo is not great at aligning hand held shots, but if you shoot on a tripod it works great and will adjust for minor misalignment.

I have used the program for it's HDR capabilities. It's very stable and easy to use. Check it out.
02-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the replies.

Bullitt, I forgot you could turn off SR. So, then that with the remote should work.

Thanks for that tip post_eos. Unfortunately, it's not OSX compatible.

02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty sure that SR is automatically disabled when the camera is told it's using a remote to trigger the shutter.
02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Pretty sure that SR is automatically disabled when the camera is told it's using a remote to trigger the shutter.
Is it or just the 2 second delay?
02-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Page 148 of the K5 manual says:

"The shake reduction is automatically turned off when wireless remote is used"

* has a icon for all 3 modes of wireless trigger modes shown
02-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
Awesome. Just ordered a remote. Should have it on wednesday. Thanks alot.