Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
For my circumstances, the YNs are a trouble-free product.
Others cannot get their YN-603n trigger to fire their Pentax flash when the latter is in manual mode.
There always seems to be something.

There is a workaround again (blocking pins), but personally I wouldn't be keen on these workarounds.

12-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #62
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Just bought Yn560iii and trying to play around with it and I have it mounted on hot shoe K5ii. It will not trigger at all.... need help, thanks
12-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Try setting both the flash and the camera into manual mode. Make sure that the camera's shutter speed is below or equal to 1/180s.
12-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Try setting both the flash and the camera into manual mode. Make sure that the camera's shutter speed is below or equal to 1/180s.
Thank you, I tried it last night before posting it did not work and tried it again now it work. Must been not sitting properly on the shoe. So I assume that this will not work wirelessly from K5 II without the rf602/rf603?

01-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
Considering bying a flash and as Pentax flashes are very expensive I was considering a third party flash. Does anyone have any experience using the Yongnuo YN-560 III Flash 2.4GHz? Would it be a good idea to buy this as a beginners flash? I have no experiense at all using flashes with DSLR so I'm looking forward to every opinion/advice
Just thought I would jump on this thread as someone who is a complete beginner.

I bought the Yongnuo rf-603 III 2.4ghz after to many hours of looking at flashes. I spent a few hours looking at the 101 blog and watching youtube clips on manual flashes before mine turned up and I have been very happy with the results so far. There is still a long way to go in leaning what to set things to and placing of the flash but its great fun. I also could not afford the TTL flashes.

I usually have to stop after an hour of playing or so, because everyone is sick of the flash going off

My thoughts are if your happy to spend the time learning manual flash then its fine. Just dont expect to get great results without putting the time into learning it... I got it as a winter (learn flash/lighting) project as its dark at 3pm and gives me some playing in the evenings.

Hope this helps.

EDIT; Just realised that this is in the k5 section. I cannot comment on the compatibility with the hardware as I am using it on the k30. I just wanted to add a beginners perspective.
01-21-2014, 04:26 AM   #66

I have bought yn560-III which has built in rf-602/603 receiver. Flash has worked well wen on camera. Today i purchased myself RF-603c transceiver and it simply wont work. Camera that i am using is K-r. When I mount the transceiver on camera, only one led is on (left one). I have read over here that i should use N version of the transceiver not the C. Also i Noticed that the last two pins on transceiver hotshoe are not in contact with corresponding contacts on camera. Is that a problem?
01-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I have bought yn560-III which has built in rf-602/603 receiver. Flash has worked well wen on camera. Today i purchased myself RF-603c transceiver and it simply wont work. Camera that i am using is K-r. When I mount the transceiver on camera, only one led is on (left one). I have read over here that i should use N version of the transceiver not the C. Also i Noticed that the last two pins on transceiver hotshoe are not in contact with corresponding contacts on camera. Is that a problem?
The Canon version of the RF-603 never works on Pentax cameras, probably because the pin layout is different (not just the last two pins) and the transceiver cannot detect the camera. The Nikon version always works.

01-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #68

Yes, tnx. I was a bit fast on the decision...
01-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jaypod Quote
Thanks guys, that's really helpful information
THoog - please let us know how you get on with the new RF-603 II when you get your hands on it. Very, very interested to hear your results. Looks like these are only available in the States so far.
I finally received my RF-603C II (I thought the expression was "slow boat TO China", not "slow boat FROM China" ), and it works in TX mode on Pentax! The 'ready' LED never comes on, but it triggers my flash just fine. So three out of four versions of the RF-603 work on Pentax: RF-603N, RF-603N II, and RF-603C II.
01-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Looks like one of these and a couple flashes might be coming my way soon then. Not that I really have a need for them. But I would like to learn some more flash photography and want to have the kit and experience for when I do need it.
02-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #71
Inactive Account

I finally received my RF-603C II (I thought the expression was "slow boat TO China", not "slow boat FROM China" ), and it works in TX mode on Pentax! The 'ready' LED never comes on, but it triggers my flash just fine. So three out of four versions of the RF-603 work on Pentax: RF-603N, RF-603N II, and RF-603C II.
So which version do you think will be worth getting?
02-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baby007 Quote
So which version do you think will be worth getting?
If you have a YN-560 III and you only need a trigger to fire it, then any of those three will do - just NOT the original RF-603C. If you need two RF units and want to be able to do remote shutter release, then the RF603C II C1 set has two transceivers and the correct cable for Pentax bodies (note that the K-m, K-x, K-r, and K-01 don't have a wired shutter release port).
02-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #73
Inactive Account

If you have a YN-560 III and you only need a trigger to fire it, then any of those three will do - just NOT the original RF-603C. If you need two RF units and want to be able to do remote shutter release, then the RF603C II C1 set has two transceivers and the correct cable for Pentax bodies (note that the K-m, K-x, K-r, and K-01 don't have a wired shutter release port).
Are you saying I should get the RF unit for Canon (not Nikon)? I thought the Nikon version works better, doesn't it?
02-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baby007 Quote
Are you saying I should get the RF unit for Canon (not Nikon)? I thought the Nikon version works better, doesn't it?
There are four versions. The first version Canon (RF-603C) does not work at all on Pentax. The first version Nikon (RF-603N) does. The new versions (RF-603C II and RF-603N II) work exactly the same with the unit on the camera set to TX.

If you have a YN-560 III and only need a single RF unit to trigger it, the RF-603N, RF--603N II, or RF-603C II (set to TX) will work equally well.

If you need two RF units and a remote shutter release cable, the RF-603C II C1 set has the right cable. If you don't need the C1 cable, you can get the RF-603N or RF603N II set.
02-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #75
Inactive Account

Thanks for the clear answer Thoog. I bought the RF-603N II already though. Now I need to get the separate cable for it since I will be using both functions.