Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Personally, I'd wait a bit longer and wait for the dedicated YN-560 transmitter so that you can control power remotely. Being able to set the power of your flashes remotely via radio signals will be such a timesaver and both Yongnuo and Cactus are about to launch respective triggers. ...

No issues whatsoever with the Cactus V5 and triggering Pentax cameras, BTW. I sometimes wonder why people bother with Yongnuo issues when a trouble-free product is available. I have nothing against Yongnuo but compatibility to Pentax does not seem to be high on their priority list at all.
Not sure what you mean by a dedicated 560 transmitter? Does that mean one could dial in flash power changes from the RF-603 transmitter? Or are you talking about a power change from the Pentax K3 to a remote 560 flash?

At the moment the advantage for someone who already has the Cactus, is that with the 560III, one would need only one 603 transceiver at the camera and nothing for the flash. One less object to carry. But monetarily, doesn't make sense if one already has a Cactus pair. I hope the 560III is easy to change and visible LCD in low light. My Metz 48, altho pttl compatible, is a complicated beast to change compared to the 460 and 560 i have. And in low light, the lcd screen on it was hardly visible at all.

02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Not sure what you mean by a dedicated 560 transmitter? Does that mean one could dial in flash power changes from the RF-603 transmitter? Or are you talking about a power change from the Pentax K3 to a remote 560 flash?
Apparently, it will be another transmitter (not the RF-603), that can control power levels on the YN-560 III.

CONFIRMED – YN-560 III – Remote Power Control – with NEW Transmitter Coming! | FLASH HAVOC
02-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #78
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Apparently, it will be another transmitter (not the RF-603), that can control power levels on the YN-560 III.

CONFIRMED – YN-560 III – Remote Power Control – with NEW Transmitter Coming! | FLASH HAVOC
I think this is the one. Expensive though
02-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Wow, not only is Yongnuo coming out with the remote groups controller, but so is Cactus:

CACTUS – Remote Manual Radio Flash & NEW V6 Transceivers Coming | FLASH HAVOC

and the Cactus v6 is compatible with the Cactus v5 which probably several of us have.

I think one of the biggest advantages of this approach, besides the remote control of power - which would be great, is that each enabled 560 III would eliminate the 2 AAA batteries associated with that separate receiver. I assume the receiver built into the flash unit would also be powered by flash's AA's - and they seem to last a long time for me.

Are folks out there happy with the YN-602, 603's as far as workmanship and design?? It looks to me like the YN's also have a smaller case width wise.

---------- Post added 02-12-14 at 09:46 AM ----------

A story about Nikon SB-900 flash. The ex-pres. of our photo club, decided she was going photo professional. And she is doing a good job at it - the usual portraits, weddings, etc. She told that she was in a hurry one day and set her 900 flash on the seat of her car instead of packing it up. She made a sudden stop, the flash slid to the floor and died. $500 down the drain, so to speak.

I've tried to use flashes in "fine art" photos on a few occasions. I've lost 2 yongnuo flashes doing that. In one case, a flash slipped out of hand and hit the concrete sidewalk. DOA. In a second case, I apparently forgot to pick it up after using it at Fort Worden on Artillery Hill. When i went back to get it the next day - gone. These both were the yn460 IIs. But replacing a $45 flash is a lot cheaper than replacing a $500 flash, if i've done the math right.

One thing i love about the K3 - the onboard flash allows one to control the output down to 1/128th manual power. If you wanted just a "kiss" of light for the face of that cat or dog or ???, its perfect. It works great for that. IN the past, you could adjust the onboard flash down by total of 2 flash ev's but it still way over powered most applications that i wanted to use it for.

02-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume the receiver built into the flash unit would also be powered by flash's AA's - and they seem to last a long time for me.
Yes, the YN-560 III's receiver is powered by the AA batteries. Externally, the III isn't that different from the II.

Are folks out there happy with the YN-602, 603's as far as workmanship and design?? It looks to me like the YN's also have a smaller case width wise.
I've been satisfied with my YN RF-603s and RF-603 IIs. They're plastic, but not flimsy, and the rounded body is relatively compact. The RF-603 II eliminated my biggest gripes with the original design - no locking hotshoe, power switch placement, and the need for a dedicated TX mode.
02-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #81

i have the pentax flash 560 ghz... would you like to know how many times it has been in for repairs? would never go that rout again
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Not sure what you mean by a dedicated 560 transmitter? Does that mean one could dial in flash power changes from the RF-603 transmitter?
I mean the YN-560 III trigger that has also been linked to by others.

It hasn't been released yet, but I guess it won't take much longer.

I'm pretty sure the Cactus V6 will be better though and the Cactus RF60 flash is almost out of beta testing.

02-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I mean the YN-560 III trigger that has also been linked to by others.

It hasn't been released yet, but I guess it won't take much longer.

I'm pretty sure the Cactus V6 will be better though and the Cactus RF60 flash is almost out of beta testing.
Not debating, but just curious why you think the Cactus 6 and the their new flash will be better? I actually like my YN flashes, 2 of them, better than my Cactus 5 triggers. apples and oranges, i know. Altho i've got them dialed in now, they , the cactus v5s, caused me a lot of grief with the battery voltage issue with rechargeables. I'll probably switch to YN radio triggers as soon as they get the products out.
02-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Not debating, but just curious why you think the Cactus 6 and the their new flash will be better?
From experience and because I'm beta testing both.

Altho i've got them dialed in now, they , the cactus v5s, caused me a lot of grief with the battery voltage issue with rechargeables. I'll probably switch to YN radio triggers as soon as they get the products out.
How do you know that the YN radio triggers will work with crappy/normal rechargeables?

Again, I have no problems with my V5 with Sanyo Eneloops whatsoever. And you may want to wait and see whether the V6 are different with respect to batteries.

I personally wouldn't get YN triggers because it seems not straightforward which version to get (Canon or Nikon), they have incompatibilities within their system, they required non-standard batteries, they had usability issues (tiny dip switches in the battery compartment for changing the channel), and they could not support 1/180s sync speed on a Pentax without tweaks. I'm not sure whether this list is complete.

I never understood why people went for YN triggers and then found out they had the wrong version and/or could go to 1/160s maximum, while the V5 were available with a convenient channel switching dial and multi-channel broadcasting support.

P.S.: I thought that the YN-560 III flash was great with its built-in radio receiver and low price point. Unlike earlier YN flashes it appears to be reliable as well. However, I believe many will prefer the RF60 in the future.
02-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For whatever it's worth, I've had no problems with RF-603s using Eneloops, old Energizer NiMHes that my father previously overheated in a cheapo rapid-charger, or 3-year old lithium non-rechargeables that I thought I should use up.

The answer why anyone would get a YN trigger when the Cactus is available is dead easy: they're cheap. 'Course, you usually get what you pay for.
02-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #86
Veteran Member

From experience and because I'm beta testing both.

How do you know that the YN radio triggers will work with crappy/normal rechargeables?

Again, I have no problems with my V5 with Sanyo Eneloops whatsoever. And you may want to wait and see whether the V6 are different with respect to batteries.

I personally wouldn't get YN triggers because it seems not straightforward which version to get (Canon or Nikon), they have incompatibilities within their system, they required non-standard batteries, they had usability issues (tiny dip switches in the battery compartment for changing the channel), and they could not support 1/180s sync speed on a Pentax without tweaks. I'm not sure whether this list is complete.

I never understood why people went for YN triggers and then found out they had the wrong version and/or could go to 1/160s maximum, while the V5 were available with a convenient channel switching dial and multi-channel broadcasting support.

P.S.: I thought that the YN-560 III flash was great with its built-in radio receiver and low price point. Unlike earlier YN flashes it appears to be reliable as well. However, I believe many will prefer the RF60 in the future.
Well - just asking :-)

According to this review of the YN-603, "the older cactus" triggers also had problems with syncing at speeds greater than 1/160s. The odd batteries that used to be the standard for cactus and YN, were done away with on the YN-603 in favor of triple A.

http://makingitasapro.blogspot.com/2011/06/yongnuo-rf-603c-radio-flash-trigger.html

Yes, i have Sanyo eneloops and had problems with v5. But theres a new invention - its called alkaline batteries, and i have problems with my v5 no longer

The earlier poster who reported difficulty seeing the channel numbers on the selector and the difficulty in seeing whether the switch is in transmitter, off or receiver mode is right on both counts. But you're right, such problems are still preferable to hard to get at and decipher dip switches.

Size is an issue with the v5. I've been carrying up to 3 to have a backup because of previously discussed battery issues. And 3 "hockey pucks" starts to cause carrying issues. Combining one of the receivers into the flash, as you discussed the hypothetical "60" flash or as YN is doing with the 560 III, helps solve the size issue. But i see the problems with the Canikon specialization of the YN transmitters - leaves out the Pentax, Sony, 4/3 cameras. Guess i'll wait for the Cacus stuff.
02-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #87
Pentaxian

According to this review of the YN-603, "the older cactus" triggers also had problems with syncing at speeds greater than 1/160s.
Even the Cactus V2 which are ancient by today's standards had a response time of 1/500s - 1/1000s.
Even if they did not always reach 1/180s on a Pentax -- I don't have any personal experience with them -- they have been history for a long time now.

The Cactus V4 always functioned perfectly for me while Yongnuo still produced triggers that could not sync up to 1/180s on a Pentax even after the V5 came out. There were workarounds, but AFAIC triggers should work out of the box.

Size is an issue with the v5.
I also wish they were as small as the V4.

But i see the problems with the Canikon specialization of the YN transmitters - leaves out the Pentax, Sony, 4/3 cameras. Guess i'll wait for the Cacus stuff.
Cactus has a history of offering brand-agnostic products.

So there's hope that the RF60 & V6 will continue this tradition.
02-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Cactus RF60 Teaser Video

Cactus released a teaser video for the upcoming Cactus RF60.
02-28-2014, 02:54 AM   #89
Pentaxian

I've just created a new discussion thread for my "Cactus RF60" review.
02-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you guys help me out? Can I use my yongnuo 560II on my K-5II using manual mode "M" instead of "X"? I used it 2 weeks ago but I found out that my flash misfired after some shots despite using a 1/160peed. I started using the "X" setting and at times the flash misfired. I removed the flash and mounted it again and the flash would start working. Is there something wrong with my camera? Did I burn my flash connections by using "M" instead of "X". Thanks