Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WB is "Cloudy" in camera but is changing in file

During the testing of various lenses in combination with my K-5 I noticed some peculiar behavior in how the camera records images and White Balance. When I view my photos in Adobe Camera Raw, the White Balance mixture is subtly different from image to image even though the camera is set to the specific White Balance mode "Cloudy". To be absolutely clear, the K-5 was not set to Auto White Balance.

The images seem to travel in a range from 6600 to 6950 for Temperature and anywhere from +7 to +15 for the tint. The visual impression of the images changes accordingly.

The whole point of manually setting the White Balance in camera is so you have predictable and consistent color, so why would I be seeing these shifts? The subject matter for the test shots was the same scene, photographed repeatedly with no appreciable change in the weather; mid-afternoon, overcast conditions the entire shooting time of about 30 minutes, and again, using the "Cloudy" White Balance pre-set. My original purpose for these tests was to pass on some information to CRIS who I've been in communication with over an ongoing auto focus issue I've described in another post (I'm getting wildly inconsistent auto focus results which, at first, appeared to be a lens but it now looks like its the K-5. It's gone in for repair three times and the problem is still there. I need to update that related post.)

02-25-2013, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

There is an option in the custom function menu to allow the camera to make minute adjustments in the white balance even when it is specified by the user. Stupid if you ask me, but maybe it helps with florescent lighting which cycles in color. By default it is on. Look through the menu, you'll find it, I can't remember the number off hand.
02-25-2013, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I never knew about that, though it explains a shift I noticed when opening some files in Lightroom.
Thanks, maxfield_photo.
LowVoltage, on my K-5 IIs, it's Custom Menu 2, #10.
02-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
There is an option in the custom function menu to allow the camera to make minute adjustments in the white balance even when it is specified by the user. Stupid if you ask me, but maybe it helps with florescent lighting which cycles in color. By default it is on. Look through the menu, you'll find it, I can't remember the number off hand.
QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
LowVoltage, on my K-5 IIs, it's Custom Menu 2, #10.
Thanks, mates, I did not know about that. I agree, Maxfield, that is stupid. However, at least it will address my specific problem and not leave me wondering what else is wrong with my camera besides the AF. I was beginning something was going wrong with circuitry. That could still be the problem with the AF, who knows, but at least I know it's not causing the White Balance shift.