Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
RAW and Cross Processing

Why isn't it possible to use the cross processing feature that the K5 offers in combination with shooting RAW? I played around with that feature a little and contrary to what I read from soe other people, I like it. Most of the time. The "most of the time"-part is why I would love to be able to have access to the RAW files of the shots that I took in cross processing mode, but as far as I understand, there is no possibility to use f.e. the RAW+ feature in combination with these, nor is it possible to add the effect later on in camera. Why are there so many digital filters, which I think are mostly really useless, but the cross processing feature is not accessible from there?

I found some presets that I really like, but I am hestitant to use them, because it keeps me from having access to the RAW files if later on I would have something different in mind.

Am I missing something? Am I alone? Maybe there is a walkaround? I think this is one of the things that I wish were implemented with a Firmware update, as I don't understand why there should be any technical reason not to do it. After all the "cross processed" images are just jpegs, or am I wrong?

02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can add cross processing when you bring the RAW file onto the computer. Why not add cross processing to your RAWs after?
02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
You can add cross processing when you bring the RAW file onto the computer. Why not add cross processing to your RAWs after?
Of course I could do that, but I am really not the kind of PP-guy. I love to have the pictures come out of my camera as I shoot them and try to take as much control of the settings as I can before taking a shot and don't want to rely on being able to fix it later in PS or some other program. This is where the fun in photography is for me. I don't want to spend more time in front of a computer than I already do. Just the imaginaion of me sitting there, fumbling around with settings trying to imitate the look of what I know my camera could have given me already in the first place, turns me off greatly.
On the other hand I don't want to dispute the usefulness of RAW files and I maybe want to be able to use them if necessary, so I am wondering why my camera denies access to the combination that I am talking about.

I guess my statements are kind of contradicting, but it is really hard for me to put my aesthetical concerns ("aesthetics" not only as in the perception of the final image, but also as in the experience of taking it, which makes a whole in my opinion. (Too much) PP is something alien and unnatural to me in that concern. Maybe this whol blabber in brackets here is more useful than my paragraph above...) into words. What it all comes down to is the technical question which doesn't have to do too much with how much I personally like PP or not, how I approach photography in general, etc. There might be other people who have asked themselves the same question because of other reasons.

Last edited by Arvid; 02-26-2013 at 07:00 PM.
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
Of course I could do that, but I am really not the kind of PP-guy. I love to have the pictures come out of my camera as I shoot them and try to take as much control of the settings as I can before taking a shot and don't want to rely on being able to fix it later in PS or some other program. This is where the fun in photography is for me. I don't want to spend more time in front of a computer than I already do. Just the imaginaion of me sitting there, fumbling around with settings trying to imitate the look of what I know my camera could have given me already in the first place, turns me off greatly.
On the other hand I don't want to dispute the usefulness of RAW files and I maybe want to be able to use them if necessary, so I am wondering why my camera denies access to the combination that I am talking about.
Cross processing, just like raw development, outputs a JPEG by definition. Modifying a raw file to include special effects would sort of not make it a raw file any more

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Cross processing, just like raw development, outputs a JPEG by definition. Modifying a raw file to include special effects would sort of not make it a raw file any more
I am aware of that. That's why I want to have the RAW file of the image AND the cross processed one. Just as much as I am allowed to have as many "vibrant", "portrait", "reversal film" versions as I want or any other stupid digital filters applied to a jpeg next to my RAW file. For some reason that I don't understand the camera doesn't allow this for cross processed ones, though.

I heavily edited my response above, by the way. Hope this doesn't get to metaphysical...
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am aware of that. That's why I want to have the RAW file of the image AND the cross processed one. Just as much as I am allowed to have the "vibrant", "portrait", "reversal film" or any other stupid digital filter applied to a jpeg next to my RAW file. For some reason that I don't understand the camera doesn't allow this.

I heavily edited my response above, by the way. Hope this doesn't get to metaphysical...
Yeah I suppose there's no reason that Pentax should be preventing the cross-processed file to be saved alongside the original raw. To be honest, though, I doubt they'll ever change this as they probably aren't even aware of the existence of this issue.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah I suppose there's no reason that Pentax should be preventing the cross-processed file to be saved alongside the original raw. To be honest, though, I doubt they'll ever change this as they probably aren't even aware of the existence of this issue.
I secretly hope that they are reading all the threads here

02-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I secretly hope that they are reading all the threads here
They do read a lot of them, no doubt about that

Adam