Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help from k5II users

I have been saving for a k30 , I was just offered a slightly used k5II for the same price as a new k30 . What would be your choice ? And yes I do think focus peaking might be use full .

02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you care for video, want focus peaking, and don't mind not having a battery grip, then go for the K-30. The K-5 offers slightly better handling and image quality (in RAW), but it is an older body, so it might feel slower during general use and a bit more sluggish in live view.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you care for video, want focus peaking, and don't mind not having a battery grip, then go for the K-30. The K-5 offers slightly better handling and image quality (in RAW), but it is an older body, so it might feel slower during general use and a bit more sluggish in live view.
Thanks Adam Is that the case for a k5II as well as a k5 .
02-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick G Quote
Thanks Adam Is that the case for a k5II as well as a k5 .
Yes, because the k5 and k-5 ii share the same exact hardware except for the LCD casing and AF module.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, because the k5 and k-5 ii share the same exact hardware except for the LCD casing and AF module.
Thanks again Adam You saved me from buying the wrong camera for my needs. I think I will get a new k30 with a warranty .
02-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
So how much did they offer the K-5 II for? :O
03-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #7

Wow Adam I'm surprised to hear you say that even at the same price a k-30 is a better value than a k5ii.
I know the ii will be slower in processing so u will have to watch that hourglass longer but do you not feel that the larger buffer and better raw quality is worth the sluggishness trade off if they are the exact same price?

As for the video it seems like there are a number of complaints about the video quality of the 30 especially with the shake reduction turned on which can create pretty bad artifacts... At least according to the YouTube videos I saw. My understanding was that the k5 and ii don't have that particular hang up.

03-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #8

To me the K-5 II didn't feel slow. The K-30 must be fast then. :O
03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
To me the K-5 II didn't feel slow. The K-30 must be fast then. :O
The K-30 is a bit faster overall, it's noticeable during playback. Both cameras could still use improvement, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by BradH Quote
Wow Adam I'm surprised to hear you say that even at the same price a k-30 is a better value than a k5ii. I know the ii will be slower in processing so u will have to watch that hourglass longer but do you not feel that the larger buffer and better raw quality is worth the sluggishness trade off if they are the exact same price? As for the video it seems like there are a number of complaints about the video quality of the 30 especially with the shake reduction turned on which can create pretty bad artifacts... At least according to the YouTube videos I saw. My understanding was that the k5 and ii don't have that particular hang up.
New K-30 vs used K-5 ii: there's a difference! The fact that the K-30 is better in some areas while the K-5 is better in others makes a direct comparison hard, so it really depends on what features the end user will value more.

Adam

03-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

Oh yeah it did feel slow during picture playback.
03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
So how much did they offer the K-5 II for? :O
I changed my mind and bought the k5II I decided I wanted a more rugged camera . I have to say after having it for two days I'm not sorry !
The seller evaluates cameras and sells them after a few months, it had 500 actuation and came with two extra batteries , a 50mm f 2.0 m and a 200mm f4 m both in perfect condition for $800.00 . I sill can't believe it .

Last edited by Rick G; 03-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #12

That's such a good deal!

Lucky. haha.
03-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
Yos
Veteran Member

Gaaah!
I am so not jealous!
Have fun with you new toy
03-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Adam, do you know if the tungsten focusing issue has been fixed in the K-5ii?
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Adam, do you know if the tungsten focusing issue has been fixed in the K-5ii?
Yes it has.

Adam