Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #1

Iguanas in Ecuador

Hi all
I'm a relative newcomer to the site and drop in and out every now and then to catch up on the news.
I'm just wondering where on the site we can post some of our favourite shots?
If it is ok, I have posted a photo of an Iguana I took in Guayaquil, Ecuador last December.
I loved the iguana park which is right in the middle of the downtown area, and it was free to get in
I was using a Pentax K5, with a sigma 18-200 lens.
I am so pleased with this camera and I am finding that the lens is really good too, but as I dip my toes in the water with trepidation and throw myself to the mercy of the forum I have a question to ask, what do you people think of the photo?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty cool. Colors seem a bit muted, was it overcast?
03-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that. it was in the shade, but otherwise a nice sunny day. interesting you mentioned the colour as i wondered sometimes if there was a way of improving the colour saturation. I guess i could do that in photoshop. the picture itself is exactly as i took it, no cropping or any adjustments which leads me to my next question, what could you do with this photo in photoshop, or equivalent, to make it better?
03-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't like the in-camera processing for saturation etc, but in Lightroom or Photoshop you can do this pretty well. There are great color and saturation controls.
Though, now I'm on my primary computer with a nice monitor and the image looks much better. It's interesting that it looks like it's taken in the shade. That's probably just contrast and shadows, the image is quite nice really.

03-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I didn't like the in-camera processing for saturation etc, but in Lightroom or Photoshop you can do this pretty well. There are great color and saturation controls.
Though, now I'm on my primary computer with a nice monitor and the image looks much better. It's interesting that it looks like it's taken in the shade. That's probably just contrast and shadows, the image is quite nice really.
Congratulations Peggers, you are doing OK with your K5. Your shot is slightly muted but as another poster says, it can easily be made to pop. I have taken the liberty to give it a boost by using Levels. As you can see, all the colour and dynamics are there in the photo, it is up to you how far you take it.
Keep the pictures coming peggers.

Richard.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ah yes, that makes quit a difference. Thanks for that. Very encouraging. More pics? Ok, I can do that. I did take one in Ecuador at night time, using the bulb setting, of the Volcano Cotapaxi. I didn't have a tripod so I improvised and used a bench. That came out ok and if I can find it I will upload that too. It is stored on another machine which I do not have access to right now. Thanks again for the encouragement.
Peggers
BTW it is hot here in Melbourne. We are looking at 10 days in a row above 30 degrees, celcius that is.
03-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow! Excellente!
03-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Wow! Excellente!
DITTO. I would love to return to Ecuador some day.

03-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would love to bring a couple ofLizard back as pet. But that's not right .....