Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Canon or Pentax for upgrade? Need help

Ok, so I currently own a K10 and love it! Except for the fact that it has no low light capabilities. I'm ready to upgrade and have been thinking of switching to Canon, either a 7d or a 5dmii since those are in my budget. But now I'm starting to think it might be better to stay with Pentax and get the K5iis. That way I don't have to start over with lenses. But I really want the best quality for my images. I mainly shoot bridal boudoir and some other portraiture. Mostly natural light. What do you all suggest?

02-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarcyJ Quote
Ok, so I currently own a K10 and love it! Except for the fact that it has no low light capabilities. I'm ready to upgrade and have been thinking of switching to Canon, either a 7d or a 5dmii since those are in my budget. But now I'm starting to think it might be better to stay with Pentax and get the K5iis. That way I don't have to start over with lenses. But I really want the best quality for my images. I mainly shoot bridal boudoir and some other portraiture. Mostly natural light. What do you all suggest?
Well, either the K-5 or K-5ii/s will be miles ahead of the K10d in terms of low/available light - easily 2-4 stops on ISO capability plus another 1-2 on SR (for static subjects handheld). You might also want to mention the lenses you've currently got to see whether a FF switch would be potentially cost effective (also, there would be 0 reasons I can think of to get the 7d, so toss that thought out!).
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I switched from the Canon 5D MKII almost 2 years ago for the K-5 and have never looked back. I was tired of blowing out highlights with the Canon, and tired of carrying that bigger body and much bigger lenses. I used the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and while that combo was awesome, it was utterly ridiculous to lug around. Now, I would love the auto focus of the K-5 iis, with the -3 EV ability. I say go for the Pentax! JMHO
02-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

If low light is where you usually work I would go for the k-5II not the k-5. Low light AF is much improved in the k-5II. As noted above, your lens collection and lens needs also are a factor. If you move to FF Canon, good glass can be very expensive. But if your current lens collection is not big then you may not be giving up much.

Here is the Snapsort comparison if you want to check that: Canon 5D Mark II vs Pentax K-5 - Our Analysis

And here is the comparison for k-5II and 5d mkiii: Canon 5D Mark III vs Pentax K-5 II - Our Analysis

Not sure how much weight these 'reviews' carry but the k-5II looks to blow the socks off the mkii, not so much the mkiii though.

02-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rent both and see which you like. I would agree with the others about getting the newer K-5II, not the older K-5. Does not sound like autofocus speed is overly important (i.e., sports), so the edge goes to the K-5II. Good luck.

Also, see the nice article written from a pro point of view:

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/cameras/new-trends-in-pro-dslrs.html

Last edited by goldenarrow; 02-28-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: mag link
02-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I can't speak of the AF on the K5-II but considering the K10 vs K5 and ISO performance the K10 at 400 ISO is about the same as the K5 at 3200. The differ e is that bug, BUT, the K10 at 100 ISO can produce some wonderful images, better in many ways to the later CMOS sensors, go for the K5-II but don't let go of the K10
02-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Personally, although I currently shoot with Canon, Olympus and Pentax gear I would say the 16MP APS-C Sony sensor in the K-5/K-5II/K-5IIs/K-30/K-01 is better than the 18MP APS-C sensor in the Canon 7D. The full frame Canon sensors in the 5D MkII and newer cameras are marginally better than the Sony 16MP APS-C sensor, but you really have to pixel peep at ISOs 100-6400 to see the difference.

So, if you already have some good Pentax glass there's no reason to buy a 7D and Canon lenses when you can just buy a K-5 or newer Pentax camera and get as good or better image quality. The 5D Mk II "might" make sense for you, but for what I shoot and the way I shoot I personally haven't found my FF gear gives me any significant advantages over crop sensor gear. Maybe I would see more of a difference if I always shot above ISO 6400 or constantly screwed up my exposures and had to push process images to the equivalent of ISO 512000, but I don't do those things so I've been just as happy with my APS-C stuff.
02-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For your need, move to FF with fast primes if you can afford to.

02-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Find the lenses you like, and get a body they fit on. The 7d is geared for sports and wildlife mostly. I would just get a k5 if you have some lenses you like. If you want something like an 85mm f1.2 though a canon would be the only option.
02-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Banned

The renting thing is a good idea, but also talk with a few people who have extensive experience with the Canon 5 models.

The entire line of Canon 5's has long term failure issues; especially with the mirror assemblies and other issues
02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ok, so I've pretty much decided to stay with Pentax. Now..is there a big benefit to spending the extra money on the 5iis vs the 5ii??
02-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have not seen too many people using the 5D MkII for sports but I have seen some stunning images coming from the 5D MkII paired with really nice glass like the 16-35. I have taken some amazingly clean shots with my K-5 at ISO 6400 so for me there is no reason to switch. Personally I would not opt for the 5D MkII because of the body size. I would stay with Pentax purely for the primes...which of course I cannot afford!
02-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot with a K30 (a K5 before that) and a 5D.

It depends on needs.
K30 (and any Pentax with the 16mp Sony sensor) run circles around the 5DI/II in DR and PP malleability on the RAW file. (mainly due to the fine noise)
APS-C is also easier on flash power and recycle times on a strobist setup due to the increased DOF for the same FOV.
The K5II/s AF is better than 5DII in low light (I've tried numerous times during Pentax outings here), so this may help in studio environments as well as you natural light (indoor) photography. But then you work with adults, so they can hold still for a slower AF camera (so maybe its a moot point)

FF like the 5DII is nicer for the DOF control and nearer working distances with lenses (eg. 50; 85; 135mm)
A few cheap primes may get you setup pretty well too (eg. 50/1.8; 85/1.8; 24-104L; Tamron 28-75)
02-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What about a D600 as another option?
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Ok, so I've pretty much decided to stay with Pentax. Now..is there a big benefit to spending the extra money on the 5iis vs the 5ii??
You're lucky, the K5IIs is getting cheaper so go for it. No need to go elsewhere for the work you do...