Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Interesting replies.

I loved the videos that have been posted here.

I'm not a pro, or anything and that may be why I think the videos can look good.

Sarabico that's the only thing that I didn't about the Pentax. Not being able to choose the settings while doing video, but you can change exposure from -2 to 2. That really helped, and that made it somewhat better.

03-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
bvg

Photos: Albums
Another example (k-5, not in focus, original video has better quality): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDvzyfp4os

Last edited by bvg; 03-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.
03-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
Interesting replies.

I loved the videos that have been posted here.

I'm not a pro, or anything and that may be why I think the videos can look good.

Sarabico that's the only thing that I didn't about the Pentax. Not being able to choose the settings while doing video, but you can change exposure from -2 to 2. That really helped, and that made it somewhat better.

But thatīs not the point. Generally, image quaility is pretty good. From my own comparisons better than canon 7d. But when doing video, you need to know what shutter you get, usualy around 1/60 or if you do slow motion 60fps you set the shutter to 1/120. Also is very important to know what iso you have, because when you work between takes, you need the exact same settings, and you donīt get them with pentax, you just get something similar. So, you need to know exactly what you are doing, you have to know very well the camera to guess more or less what is the shutter and iso you are getting and you also need a lot of work is post production. With canon, for instance, if you set a shutter, iso, aperture, WB, etc. and even turn the camera off, cause when you turn it on, itīs like you left it. So pretty practical for video.
03-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #19
Forum Member

Take for instance. Very sunny day, youīre outside in front of a fountain, and you want the capture the water splashing in the floor. You point your pentax a set a f8 aperture. But itīs so bright that the camera sets your iso to 100 a shutter to 1/800. Well, nothing wrong so far if yoīre doing photo. But, if youīre doing video, you donīt want that shutter because you'll get drops of water frozen in time. The movement wonīt be natural, it will seem unreal.

03-02-2013, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by sarabico Quote
Take for instance. Very sunny day, youīre outside in front of a fountain, and you want the capture the water splashing in the floor. You point your pentax a set a f8 aperture. But itīs so bright that the camera sets your iso to 100 a shutter to 1/800. Well, nothing wrong so far if yoīre doing photo. But, if youīre doing video, you donīt want that shutter because you'll get drops of water frozen in time. The movement wonīt be natural, it will seem unreal.
I use my K-5 for video. I use manual mode to set shutter speed, ISO and aperture and then press and hold the AE-L button while switching to movie mode. Wait till movie mode is fully engaged before releasing the AE-L button and you are good to go. This will give you full manual control of your K-5 for video. This does not work with my old manual lenses though in which case I use the same process in TAv mode. I actually bought the K-5 primarily for video but it turned out to be such a brilliant stills camera that I use it equally for both. What attracted me to the K-5 initially was the Mjpeg codec. After shooting with h264 on my last camera I really like the high mbit data rate of Mjpeg. Footage is far superior with zero motion artifacts which I always found reared it's head with H264, but then we are talking 80Mbit for Mjpeg versus 24-28Mbit for h264. Your file sizes are larger but I'd trade large file sizes for image quality any day. Interestingly I believe Canon's new EOS 1DC shots 4k using the mjpeg codec as well. Looks like Pentax may have been ahead of the game there.
03-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #21

Original Poster
Ahhh! That's interesting. I didn't know about that! I wish I could try that, but I don't have the Pentax K-5 II anymore.
03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vangaans Quote
I use my K-5 for video. I use manual mode to set shutter speed, ISO and aperture and then press and hold the AE-L button while switching to movie mode. Wait till movie mode is fully engaged before releasing the AE-L button and you are good to go. This will give you full manual control of your K-5 for video. This does not work with my old manual lenses though in which case I use the same process in TAv mode. I actually bought the K-5 primarily for video but it turned out to be such a brilliant stills camera that I use it equally for both. What attracted me to the K-5 initially was the Mjpeg codec. After shooting with h264 on my last camera I really like the high mbit data rate of Mjpeg. Footage is far superior with zero motion artifacts which I always found reared it's head with H264, but then we are talking 80Mbit for Mjpeg versus 24-28Mbit for h264. Your file sizes are larger but I'd trade large file sizes for image quality any day. Interestingly I believe Canon's new EOS 1DC shots 4k using the mjpeg codec as well. Looks like Pentax may have been ahead of the game there.
I tried this option to. But, first itīs a very slow process, and second, itīs uncertain. sometimes you get it right sometimes you donīt. You you pick a low light situation you'll see it doesn't work that well.

But i agree completely with you in one point. Pentax Mjepg files are awesome. Much more information than canonīs h264. As i said before in a different post. Pentax k5 with manual video control and options = best camera ever made
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #23

Original Poster
Yeah I think if it had manual control it would be so good, even though I'm not a professional anyways. Manual settings would be good to have. I wonder how the K-3 will handle video.

03-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
Yeah I think if it had manual control it would be so good, even though I'm not a professional anyways. Manual settings would be good to have. I wonder how the K-3 will handle video.
I wonder how the k3 will handle. If pentax don't come out with a product that exceed expectation, the brand is ruined. Even a camera like lumix gh3 is offering serious competition to the big players... So pentax have to come up with something extraordinary. lets hope so.
03-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take videos every now and then since the K5 is the only videocamera I have. Usually concerts. I need to check tonight's video. The band's facebook page actually introduced their vocalist as a singer/screamer. This might not be what most of you had in mind.
03-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by vangaans Quote
I use my K-5 for video. I use manual mode to set shutter speed, ISO and aperture and then press and hold the AE-L button while switching to movie mode. Wait till movie mode is fully engaged before releasing the AE-L button and you are good to go. This will give you full manual control of your K-5 for video.
That is priceless info vangaans, thanks for sharing! Now on my 3rd day using my K5 I feel I can put together something far more presentable than my previous attempt
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #27

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have full manual control in video mode ... but I don't, so this is the next best thing.

My wishlist for the K-3 is
1. Full manual control in video mode,
2. Retain Mjpeg codec for higher video quality, with a H264 option for people wanting smaller file sizes.
3. 60, 50, 30, 25, 24fps at 1080P or at least 30, 25, 24fps at 1080P and 60, 50fps at 720P
4. Max 24mp sensor full frame sensor.

Dream K-3 wishlist - 4. Global Shutter. 5. Uncompressed clean 422 out via HDMI.

I am so hoping Pentax does really cool things with the K-3. I can get these similar features (excepting Global Shutter) right now with the Nikon D800 but I really want to stay with Pentax. Have been a Pentax user since I bought my first film camera in 1985 (which I still have) and I love my Pentax cameras.
If the K-3 or another model Pentax doesn't go full frame with these features then I reluctantly will have to switch to Nikon and I really, really, really don't want to do that. Fingers crossed!!
03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
Forum Member

The K-5 is pretty great for video shooting, imo. The built-in SR works great. Yes, the files are large, but the quality is really great. Also, storage is incredibly cheap these days.
03-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
The K-5 is pretty great for video shooting, imo. The built-in SR works great. Yes, the files are large, but the quality is really great. Also, storage is incredibly cheap these days.
I have a K01 for video. which works nice.
Although I am considering a K5 as well.

first, as a second body for multi cam work
second, I like the combo of a fully weather sealed body & lens.
and, while for photo work, the 16-45 f4 is good enough, for video though, I have been in several occasions where I am like: i need f2.8 since for video (at least with the k01) only iso 1600 is acceptable in my view.

There is a nice 2nd hand package available (K5 + 16-50) for a nice price right now.
Large files are not a concern to me, quality is. I am not too worried about the work arounds for manual control.
Vangaans procedures seems not overcomplicated. it is just about habit and knowing of the cam.

Would anyone advise me to do so, or is there something I am missing?

to be honest, the only backfire i see, is that the DA 16-50 is not a FF lens, which might not be future proof enough...
but then again, what is?
03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #30

No. Haven't even tried to see if the video function works. But I'm a bit of a Luddite. If I want video I'll use a video rig.