Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Have you made any videos with your Pentax K-5?

I'm just curious if anyone has made videos with the Pentax K-5?

You should post them.

02-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

I have, but I like the ones with my actual video camera better. It's a purpose build hi def camcorder.
02-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
After I got the hang of the Pentax K-5 II, I actually liked the video quality. I wish it had different frame rate though.
03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take every so often some videos with both my K-7 and K-01. The K-01 has more video options: eg I love the 60 fps to shoot some action. While I shoot mostly photographs, I like the option to make some short movies (10-20 s) to show friends and family some specific point. Nonetheless, the K-7 gives me decent HD videos (similar to K-5 videos).

I agree with earlier posts that a dedicated HD video camera is easier to use, has more controls and give better results. But it cannot take great photographs, nor use high quality 'glass'.

Edit - I shoot handheld nearly 100%

Last edited by hcc; 03-01-2013 at 03:20 AM.
03-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #5

I shot some sample footage on my 1st outing with my new IIs today but it's terrible lol. I have worked a few years a videographer during the pre-HD years and did some short film work too. I used the Panasonic DVX80 (3 chip - cradle style) which was nice for its time. Pentax DSLRs still lack 2 vital things for video. A tilt screen would help to get a variety of angles which is a requirement for interesting video and better options for stability when hand held and continuous auto focus on occasion would be nice too. Been a frustrating wait for these options. I have a couple photo weddings coming up so I chose the IIs for the IQ and low light ability.

I suppose I can humiliate myself by sharing my 1st ever DSLR video using my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 hand held. I wasn't planning to shoot video but with my encounter with a small herd of deer, I gave it a quick try. Be nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoR7TzfCdGo
03-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I tried that too when I was asked if I could film a small interview. I had the K5 at the time and encountered the sensor overheat warning after 10 minutes or so - can't remember exactly - so I decided to call this video stuff off except for small family and local shoots 2 to 3 minutes long. I concluded that a DSLR is not a video camera so this is not even a problem for me.
The K5s are perfect as they are so far.
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
I think if one tried, one could make a good video with the Pentax.

Primo I think it's normal to see handshake when one is zoomed in all the way. When using a wide lens, you can't really tell. I don't think it's bad for the zoom length.

I never shot a video longer than 10 minutes with the Pentax K-5 II. Does it also suffer from sensor overheat? :O
03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I shot some with mine a few times, but I got impatient and started shooting video instead with my iPhone 5. It would probably take a lot of practice to get good with the K-5 because I'm not smooth with zooming and manual focusing. Actually, it's the MF that I got impatient with; subject movement made it a necessity, and I was missing action as I quickly tried to focus things. So AF would make the K-5 quite a good tool for video.

03-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Only spent three months with mine and I have to admit... I haven't even tried to see if it works.
03-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I tried it on my K-5 IIs once, just to see if it worked. Before, I had done a few videos on my K-r, but was never really satisfied with the results.

As far as video goes, I prefer my 8-year-old Canon point-and-shoot by far. It has silent power zoom, continuous autofocus, stereo microphones, a usable framerate, and, best of all, image stabilization. The K-5 added stereo and a more standard framerate, but still.

The Canon is only VGA resoultion, but IMO, the full-HD of the K-5 isn't enough of a bonus to make up for the horrible, uncorrected shaking that goes on when you're forced to refocus (manually). I love it to death for the pictures it takes, but I'll stick with the old P&S for video.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I have shot a little bit of good video with my K-r. I cheated, though. It was time lapse, which doesn't use video mode at all. Here's one video I did, but only some of the clips were shot with the K-r. The rest were shot with the Canon, since the K-r I had just bought was defective and in for repairs for two months. Grrr. With time lapse, even the old P&S can do HD Watch fullscreen for full effect.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 03-01-2013 at 01:25 PM.
03-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
I think if one tried, one could make a good video with the Pentax.

Primo I think it's normal to see handshake when one is zoomed in all the way. When using a wide lens, you can't really tell. I don't think it's bad for the zoom length.

I never shot a video longer than 10 minutes with the Pentax K-5 II. Does it also suffer from sensor overheat? :O
I have new found respect for all the Pentaxian short films I have watched over the last few years! The biggest disadvantage when shooting video with a Pentax DSLR is being forced to hold the camera up and away from your body to view the screen. I suppose I am spoiled by the cradle style Panasonic video cameras I have used over the years with their tilting screens which enables you to rest the camera on your chest which certainly adds stability while maintaining decent blood flow to your arms. Back when I upgraded from the K10d to the K20d I vowed to never buy another Pentax camera until one comes with an articulating screen...but couldn't resist the low light abilities and IQ of the IIs. So I make this vow once again...

I have only shot 3min of video so far(which I was surprised comes out to a GB). I have read about the K5s overheating problem but still uncertain of the time frames they can handle.
03-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Forum Member

Well. I tried hard and now iīm giving up. You can see here Sarabico
Itīs really difficult to make video with pentax. You canīt control anything. If you just want to record the moment and not think about, itīs ok, the camera does a good job. But if you want to build something. itīs not the way. Every time you want to make a new clip, you have so set exposure again, and you donīt even know what shutter speed or ISO youīre getting.
For that same reason, iīm trying to sell all my equipment (k5, 18-55wr, 50-135 f2.8, grip, batteries...) here in Portugal. If i donīt manage to do it till next week itīll end up here.
03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I made this one:

It was "ok" but not ideal. Wouldn't do it again.
03-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Took video of wildlife with the FA600; nice results, and a reach a video camera cannot achieve
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Emperor and Senpai

Get a K-01 for recording video. I've heard the K30 is good for that too.