Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've never used LR, so, I'll get a copy and preserve.Thanks.

Last edited by tabl10s; 03-04-2013 at 02:11 PM.
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I used to delete bad shots, but not anymore (with minimal exceptions).
There is a photographer called Roberto Valenzuela, who once said that your bad shots are actually your most valued ones. And I agree.
How can you learn from your mistakes, if you just delete the bad shots? It is like ignoring the fact that you are making mistakes.
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Firstly may I recommend an accurate horizon level when taking photos. It's called eyesight
Oddly enough when I shoot with my right eye, images are level. When I shoot with my left eye (I'm left eye dominant) my shots are all tilted. I really have to concentrate to level the camera. I don't know if it's the way I hold the camera or as a result of several detached retinas and/or an artificial lens in the left eye.
03-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I do because sometimes I go back to check old shots and I ask myself "why did I keep this cr*p" (not crop)?

03-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Yes, if I didn't keep bad shots I wouldn't have any shots ...

Rotflmao, this pretty much summarizes my experiences.

If it is hopelessly OOF then no I don't. If I think I can salvage something then I do keep it.
03-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Many of my best shots, some of which are on the walls and others in print, started with a slightly tilted horizon. I just straighten it in post, crop a bit and move on.

You don't HAVE to get Lightroom just to straighten horizons. It is a fine program but virtually every post-processing program has the same functionality and many are cheaper than LR. Use what you have, just find the "Straighten Horizon" feature and learn to use it.
03-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Picasa doesn't offer horizon correction.
03-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Picasa doesn't offer horizon correction.
Yes it does -- straighten tool. All horizon correction involves is slight rotation -- all you need is some grid lines.

03-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nope. I may try to work something out of them first, but try not to get too attached to the bad ones.
03-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I delete around >90% off my images. Well I'm not that good of a photographer as I hoped.
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I delete around >90% off my images. Well I'm not that good of a photographer as I hoped.
Really? Well that makes me feel better. The photos you share are great
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably delete 98% of my shots...basically, it has to either be so good that I want to print it bigger than 16x20 for my own wall or so good as to be competitive for magazine sales. Everything else is only clutter making it hard to sort for good ones. The time spent editing out the garbage is a great learning experience and saves me lots of time when I have to find just the right image for a magazine want list. When I have a bunch of "similars" I look for the best one or two and kill the rest. One exception is an occasional family pic when I couldn't get someone else to take it with a phone...probably save 10 or 12 family images per year.

Once watched an AP photographer at a one-hour slide shop go through 6 or 8 rolls of slides in about 3 minutes. He found the 2 best shots and threw the rest away. Walked out of the shop smiling...

Forgot to mention...I still shoot as if it is slide film. If I miss the exposure that's a throw away, not a fix in post. It's either right as shot or wrong as shot...that's why I shoot 2 shot exposure brackets and sometimes 2 shot focus brackets when possible.
03-08-2013, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some simple "rules" that you may see in various published recommendations:
1. If it's out of focus toss it--that's not recoverable.
2. If you bracketed shots, only keep the correct one (unless thinking of an HDR blend or focus stacking for focus brackets).
3. For shots with eyes--both animals and humans, if the eye(s) are not in focus toss it.
4. If the expression or angle of the head is imperfect, toss it.
5. For landscape/scenic/macro work with lots of similar shots, just sort for the "Oh wow" shots and delete the rest before they tease you into keeping them.
6. For event or street photography, any negative ruins the positive--delete it--unless the point is to show negatives. (the rear end invading the image, the out of place person or expression, the harsh shadow or spilled trash)
03-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I started photography in 2011 and kept more or less everything that year.
In 2012 deleted anything badly OOF.
2013 has been a good year for wildlife and I delete shots that I thought were awesome in 2011 and early 2012.
As we grow as photographers I think we delete more photos expecting more from our photos and looking for that fantastic shot..
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Some simple "rules" that you may see in various published recommendations:
1. If it's out of focus toss it--that's not recoverable.
2. If you bracketed shots, only keep the correct one (unless thinking of an HDR blend or focus stacking for focus brackets).
3. For shots with eyes--both animals and humans, if the eye(s) are not in focus toss it.
4. If the expression or angle of the head is imperfect, toss it.
5. For landscape/scenic/macro work with lots of similar shots, just sort for the "Oh wow" shots and delete the rest before they tease you into keeping them.
6. For event or street photography, any negative ruins the positive--delete it--unless the point is to show negatives. (the rear end invading the image, the out of place person or expression, the harsh shadow or spilled trash)
That's the problem with rules. They are often utter nonsense. Like the 6 above. I've seen great shots that contravene one or more of all of those silly rules. Who decides what is a rule anyway? Photography is purely subjective.