Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 IIs firmware 1.03 improves tilt flash overexposure issue

I just updated my K5 IIs firmware to 1.03 (released today), and see a marked improvement in the P-TTL tilt flash overexposure problem with my AF-540FGZ. There are still some exposure variations, but now within an acceptable range, and possibly explained just by differences in light path length and direction. I haven't done definitive tests yet, just some quick general tests, so interested to hear if others see similar improvements. This problem has bugged me for years, first with my K5, and then on to the IIs, so am delighted at this improvement.

Here is the link for the update:

Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Last edited by bjdavey; 03-07-2013 at 01:54 PM.
03-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read somewhere in the past (perhaps on the other forum that shall not be named) that somebody determined that the algorithm for tilted flash exposure was due to Pentax/Hoya (at the time) having the arithmetic operations reversed. Perhaps they finally got around to addressing this. If it were a simple math error, it would be an easy fix. The influence of Ricoh on firmware updates has been entirely positive since the PRI merger.

Jack

Last edited by jbinpg; 03-07-2013 at 03:15 PM.
03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If this is true, that's fantastic. It's been a thorn in the side of many k-5 users.
03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope there will be an update for the K5 too...

03-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Thorn in the side is putting it mildly. The K-5 problem is very annoying if you have invested in bodies and an expensive flash unit!
03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

If I have version 1.00 do I need versions 1.01 and 1.02 or does 1.03 have all the updates ? I have never updated firmware before ,feeling a little nervous about this .
03-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The latest upgrade always includes all improvements since initial release so just download and install the latest firmware version. The number one thing to ensure before you try the upgrade is to make sure you are either plugged in with an AC adapter or your batteries are topped right up. If the power dies mid-upgrade, the camera will need to go back to Pentax to be revived.

Jack

03-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The latest upgrade always includes all improvements since initial release so just download and install the latest firmware version. The number one thing to ensure before you try the upgrade is to make sure you are either plugged in with an AC adapter or your batteries are topped right up. If the power dies mid-upgrade, the camera will need to go back to Pentax to be revived.

Jack
Thanks Jack .... I will be very careful
03-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I installed the new upgrade and then did a quick flash test with a Metz 50 AF-1 flash. For me it is much better than before. In normal position it appears slightly over exposed than before. Using the flash at 45 degree or turned to bounce off an adjoining wall it appears slightly under exposed,. Nothing that can't be corrected. For bounce flash I can just increase the flash amount about one step and it will be fine. For me, the new upgrade is worth it and makes the flash more usable.
03-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My new K5II had the bounce flash over-exposure problem too. Having upgraded from a K20D, I was very disappointed to think that the "better" camera had this issue, since the K20D was more the (expected) opposite of under-exposing when bounced. So with the K5II, I took lots of test shots in all the various exposure modes, and documented my findings, for future reference.

I recently upgraded firmware to 1.02, and now I'm a bit hesitant to try 1.03. The reason being, version 1.02 seems so have corrected the bounce flash over-exposure for me! (I did mention that in an older thread.) I'm happy with the way the camera and flash behave now. So here is a new firmware that is supposed to correct the problem that I no longer have- hopefully if I go to version 1.03, it won't cause some unexpected change for the worse!

Did anyone else notice an improvement using bounce flash, with version 1.02?
03-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #11

I bypassed v1.02 straight to v1.03. K5IIs and Sigma 530DG Super used to underexpose with bounce flash. Now exposes correctly from limited testing.
cheers
bb2
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Forum Member

Copied from my reply in my original thread:
QuoteQuote:
Sorry guys, I checked this morning with K-5II 1.03 and the problem status is unchanged.

bjdavey, could you please elaborate on what exactly has improved, and how you tested it?

Here is my methodology (abridged, please see previous posts for more details). I will appreciate it if you try it:
Use mode X in the camera, with the flash set to P-TTL, no compensation. Take one shot of something at a reasonable distance with the flash pointed straight ahead. Take another shot of the same object, this time with the flash slightly tilted (enough to make the flash think it is tilted, showing the appropriate tilt indicator on the UI). Compare the shots.
With my K-5II and Sigma 610 Super, the second shot is consistently much brighter, typically overexposed, than the first shot, which is usually spot on, i.e., well-exposed.
I will do some more testing to find out if there is any change, since several people here do testify there is indeed improvement. I hope that this time it is more than wishful thinking (which sometimes accompanies firmware upgrades...).