Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny story

So I am out shooting the final for the battle of the bands last night at the Hard Rock Cafe and this woman comes up to me and asks me for help. It was pretty dark so I had no idea what she was shooting with. She seemed nice so I asked her what she needed help with. She goes on this long rant about not being able to use her "flash" correctly. What she actually meant was that her pop-up flash was not firing correctly, but I KNOW she had no idea what she was doing. I asked her to give me the camera. It was a Canon 60D...who the heck came up with the button placement for that camera?! It took me several minutes just to find the image review button, which was basically at the very bottom of the camera below the wheel thingy. I'm sorry, but I am soooooooo glad that the layout on my K-5 is not only easily accessible but also user friendly. In the end, I got the pop-up flash to work for her but 10 minutes later I saw her taking pictures and it was NOT working.....I hid from her.

03-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
So I am out shooting the final for the battle of the bands last night at the Hard Rock Cafe and this woman comes up to me and asks me for help. It was pretty dark so I had no idea what she was shooting with. She seemed nice so I asked her what she needed help with. She goes on this long rant about not being able to use her "flash" correctly. What she actually meant was that her pop-up flash was not firing correctly, but I KNOW she had no idea what she was doing. I asked her to give me the camera. It was a Canon 60D...who the heck came up with the button placement for that camera?! It took me several minutes just to find the image review button, which was basically at the very bottom of the camera below the wheel thingy. I'm sorry, but I am soooooooo glad that the layout on my K-5 is not only easily accessible but also user friendly. In the end, I got the pop-up flash to work for her but 10 minutes later I saw her taking pictures and it was NOT working.....I hid from her.
Well the thing is that someone sold her a a very nice camera and she has no idea what it does. She probably leaves it in auto and clicks away. I've had many people say that Pentax has a dated design but that it's very user friendly. She needed a good P&S for most of her photos i'm sure.
03-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's strange, as far as I know Canon and Nikon cameras pop up flash will automatically pop up if there is not enough light (at least in auto mode or program mode). It's not like Pentax where we need to push a button if we want to use it (which is a feature I like very much).
03-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She had the dial in some mode I have never seen before, it almost looked like a green rectangle? I have no idea.

03-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice of you to try to help her. A nice P&S that does lots of stuff automatically would seem to be the best way to help her though.
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I've had many people say that Pentax has a dated design but that it's very user friendly.
Pentax DSLRs are so easy to use and simple when compared to Canon and Nikon. Everything you need is easily accessible. Even the new UI, if you have to menu dive, makes things way more accessible than the other brands. I really miss my K-5 sometimes while using my NEX-5N. Supposedly Sony's new UI is good. I'm looking forward to the customize-able menu with the Tri-NAV controls in my next NEX. Maybe I can make it work like a Pentax.
03-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even the layout of the K-01 is user friendly!

03-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Well the thing is that someone sold her a a very nice camera and she has no idea what it does. She probably leaves it in auto and clicks away. I've had many people say that Pentax has a dated design but that it's very user friendly. She needed a good P&S for most of her photos i'm sure.
Many years ago I was shopping at what was probably the premiere camera store in Richmond, VA. I watched incredulously as a prosperous-looking man presented his Hasselblad to the counterman and asked him to load some film into it. After he left I commented on the event, and the counterman said, "He's a surgeon. Just gotta have the newest and most expensive camera or watch or whatever."

Doc would have been much better served with a Pentax ME, but it wouldn't have had the prestige aura, I suppose.
03-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am that girl !!!!!! No I'm kidding )
03-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was at my sister's graduation once, and a guy at the from came up to me with his Nikon (D3100 or 5100, I don't remember) and asked me how to set it to take good pictures. I was using my k-x and 70-200, so I assume he saw the big lens and thought I'd be able to help.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to fire the shutter - the AF on some of these Canon and Nikons have too many options, and the menus are buried away - making it difficult for me to even begin showing him what to do.
03-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Many years ago I was shopping at what was probably the premiere camera store in Richmond, VA. I watched incredulously as a prosperous-looking man presented his Hasselblad to the counterman and asked him to load some film into it. After he left I commented on the event, and the counterman said, "He's a surgeon. Just gotta have the newest and most expensive camera or watch or whatever."

Doc would have been much better served with a Pentax ME, but it wouldn't have had the prestige aura, I suppose.
Yes, see a LOT of Leica being misused..........