Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an OpTech Utililty Sling strap -- similar in concept to the BlackRapid straps but much less money. To attach to the tripod threading, I bought an EzFoto stainless steel screw (once again, similar to BlackRapid).

03-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Novoflex model; seldom have camera hanging passive from neck. Like LaurenOE, Camera only on neck when in active use for safety. Benefits of this model is the small profile, nonslip sections on the strap and ability to remove quickly when using a static tripod setup.
03-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I replaced the originary PENTAX strap and ordered the DOMKE strap.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000...&psc=1&s=photo

Looks much more decent and people are often more curious what camera brand hangs around your neck...

Greetings from Austria,
Sascha
03-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I just ordered BosStrap for shoulder carry. I will not rely on swivel snaps or plastic buckles. They have and can fail. The BosStrap is utter simplicity and I'm using two of the 3/8" connector straps vs just one as a backup. The BosStrap does NOT use the tripod socket!

03-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Amazon.com: BosStrap One Piece (OP) Sling Strap (Black): Camera & Photo link to BosStrap
03-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
What strap are you using on your K5?

Im finding the standard strap pretty uncomfortable, especially when I have a heavier lens attached.
I used a Blackrapid RS-4 for several years, but switched to a Wapiti Strap last year. I attach the strap to my K-5 using Op/Tech Utility Loops, and snap hooks that I added to the strap. I also use a Gordy's strap in place of the Wapiti when I want to one-hand-carry.

After using it a lot, I found the Blackrapid to be cumbersome. The Wapiti is a lot simpler, and when worn sling style, functions as well as the Blackrapid, at least for me. I'd also previously used several hand grips like the Hakuba LH, but decided to simplify with the Gordy's just for drop protection.

My biggest lens is the 50-135. With a heavier lens, I'd probably go back to the Blackrapid.

Jeff
03-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Another vote for the Joby sling strap. I use it in conjunction with the Pentax wrist strap and it is easy to carry even with my Tokina 80-200 ATX Pro 828 f2.8 attached.
03-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
Forum Member

Out again for 2-3 hours and 390 frames with the Joby sling strap and the about 2 kg (4.4 lbs) combo. It is incredible how lightweight it makes the 70-200. I will not consider conventional straps again. Can't say if it's better or worse than some of the BlackRapids, but I can say it's really, really good strap for continuously carrying around such a medium heavy combo that would bug the hell out of you if on a neck strap, with less than half the price of a BlackRapid.

If one has the original strap with a decent size lens, do yourself a favor - out the window with it, and look into sling straps.

03-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I use a KATA strap that i can sling over my left/right shoulders and when I use the KATA Bumble Bee 210 I can attach the lugs to the Backpack straps too.
03-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #25

I use a Hakuba Twill strap. I am not sure what countries it is in, as I am in Japan. It is extremely soft which is great for being stuffed in a bag and hangs naturally. I never carry my cameras around my neck; always over my shoulder or in hand. It hangs well at the shoulder thanks to a small section of tiny rubber nubs that keep it in place yet are not aggressive enough to prevent you from smoothly slipping it from the shoulder when needed. It is also wider and better made than Pentax straps and is only black with no designs or logos anywhere. I only paid somewhere around 1200yen for it (maybe $13 or $14).
03-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #26

A Daymakers wide 65" leather Curved CityStrap is attached to my K5 while the Microfiber version effectively handles the weight in my Beseler camera bag - slice-proof, comfortable & very cost effective, IMO.
03-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
Site Supporter

hadn't heard of Daymaker. Thanks for the info. I wish they made the leather in natural so it take on patina and would look great with the black camera body.
03-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
Site Supporter

This is kind of cool. There are a great number of leather options out there. Bill has sparked my interest in leather. LEATHER Camera Strap PREMIER Edition Leather The by PhatStraps
03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #29

I posted a pic in the Accessories section last May with a short review, if interested...just type daymakers in the Forum search box.
03-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #30

I must say, I have had leather straps and I think they are great. They just have that certain feel and look. Especially when they are well worn and possibly a little abused (brass hardware doesn't hurt either!). Nothing can match their class. The only reason I gave up the leather straps was it being a little harder to stuff in my bag and got very stiff after prolonged periods in snow or rain. (yes, I am hard on gear)