Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would love a K-5 IIs, but the £160 premium over the K-5 II is a deal breaker for me. Consequently, I am waiting to see whether Pentax comes out with a high-end APS-C model (possibly named K-3) that is a definite upgrade to my K-5. Something with 20-24 MP and no AA filter would do it for me.

05-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I recently went from a K20D to a K5. So far it is more than what I need. I doubt that I need a 24MP APC let alone a full frame.

I will see if when the K3 or the FF arrives if the situation change.
05-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I own 2 K5 cameras, and I LOVE them to death. I came into my second K5 for a trade of a Nikon D7000. I will always shoot with two bodies now. Period.

Each upgrade from now on, will require the purchase of two cameras. Now that my husband is back into Pentax - as in the K30 - he too is looking to upgrade. He misses the grip and some of the features of the K5 even though he loves his K30.

So we are talking THREE cameras at once when the upgrade comes!!!!

So for me to upgrade, will be a waiting game. I assume the first body to come along will be the APS-C. If it's 24mp, and has uncompressed video and carries the K5 tradition and uses the same grip and batteries? I will buy three that day.

If the APS-C uses different batteries/grip and messes up the features of the K5, then I will probably wait and get my husband a K5IIs and a grip, and wait for the FF.

If the next camera is an MILC with a FF and has pro video features, I will buy that too.

Basically I have a matrix of what I will do over the coming months, and what I buy is really up to Pentax.

Edit: there really is no scenario for a 645D for me. Granted I have old 645 cameras and lenses, but a 645D is way more that I can justify. The only way I could justify a 645D is if I got one used for something like $4K USD.
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not buying another damn Pentax camera until they fix their lens prices. Why would I want to waste $$$ on a brand with pi$$-poor representation in 3rd party parts and lenses as well as a marketing department that doesn't seem to give a rats butt about established customers.

Nope.

05-07-2013, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

I hope the K-3 is 24mp and the AF is almost equal to the d7100..

Last edited by dane.dawg; 05-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.
05-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #51
Site Supporter

I think I am okay for quite some time. I have a K5 and a K-01 and that should do me.
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I hope the K-3 is 24mp and the AF is almost equal to the d7100..
I'd like to see Pentax use the new Sony 20.1MP sensor, unless the image quality/low light ability is worse than the 24.3MP sensor. Hopefully the smaller file sizes will reduce the buffer issues the D7100 is experiencing when shooting RAW, and allow higher fps in burst mode.

05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had my K5 for about a year and a half and don't really see any reason to upgrade. Not there's anything wrong with IIs. I still have my K10D so I have 2 bodies. Having 2 bodies can be very handy but I don't need 3 so barring a failure of one or accidental damage, I won't be buying anything for a couple of years hopefully and that will depend on what choices I have then. At some point, the technology is going to mature enough that upgrading to the latest won't be that big of a deal. Back in the days of film, an SLR was something you kept for years. DSLR's are disposable electronic gadgets so after a few years, they are pretty much kaput.

Now if the bright engineers at Pentax can get FF sensor inside a body comparable to the K10D, that would get me real interested. The FF bodies I have seen are a little bigger and heavier than I want to carry.
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The next Pentax flagship body will not be FF, which is fine by me, because APS-C is what I want.

Regarding resolution, your statement is incorrect. More pixels on a larger sensor show more resolution than fewer pixels on a smaller sensor, all else being relatively equal. DXOMark makes this sort of comparison possible, because they test lenses on multiple bodies. Here's an example, comparing the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G on a 12mp APS-C D90 body, a 16mp APS-C D7000 body and a 16mp FF D3X body:

DxOMark - Compare lenses

DXO state resolution in terms of megapixels. The same lens scores
  • 8mp on the D90
  • 10mp on the D7000
  • 16mp on the D3X
  • 9mp on the 12mp FF D700 body
D3X is 24.5MP.. a D3 is 12.1MP
05-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I'm hoping Pentax will release an APS-C B&W camera with no Bayer Filter. The resolution would be pretty damned high... They'd sell quite a few of those methinks.
05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I want to move to a functional two camera system. Currently I shoot with the k5 and just bring the k20 along as a backup. I was wanting it to be a ff and the k5, but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. I briefly though about the ii or iis, but the difference isn't big enough. I guess i am going to wait and see what they bring out.

I could see where many might think that an announced delayed release ff might slow aps-c sales, but to tell you the truth, I would only buy an aps-c this year with the knowledge that ff is definitely coming in 2014.
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm hoping Pentax will release an APS-C B&W camera with no Bayer Filter. The resolution would be pretty damned high... They'd sell quite a few of those methinks.
It would make the most sense if the released that in a K-01 style camera, but if they made a K series DSLR with a monochrome sensor I wouldn't be complaining. The Leica M9 beats the resolving power of any current Bayer DSLR when it comes to working in B&W, and the High ISO results from it are impressive considering the sensor tech isn't anywhere near as advanced as what is being used in the K5.
05-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It would make the most sense if the released that in a K-01 style camera, but if they made a K series DSLR with a monochrome sensor I wouldn't be complaining. The Leica M9 beats the resolving power of any current Bayer DSLR when it comes to working in B&W, and the High ISO results from it are impressive considering the sensor tech isn't anywhere near as advanced as what is being used in the K5.
I like the k-01 style for a dedicated monochrome. I think I could justify that purchase.
05-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I returned to Pentax from Nikon with the K-5IIS. I would buy a Pentax FF if one became available. The two are not mutually exclusive. FF is great for WA and normal focal lengths, but DX is great for its reach. The Nikon D600 and D800 have DX modes for that reason as well as enticing DX owners to make the jump without having to replace their lenses immediately. I think the perfect pairing would be a 24mp FF Pentax with the K-5II or IIs.
05-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Personally, I'm holding off because of two reasons: 1) lack of money, and 2) everything's working just fine right now and I'm not feeling the need to upgrade. When or if the next new thing comes out, I'll see where the finances take me. It would be nice to upgrade but I'm not feeling the need for it.
Same here, I pretty much go for the top body when I need and can afford it, my K7 still shoots above my ability for now. If the K3 is bigger than the K5iis body or not as ergonomic I would proberly got for a K5iis as feel is a big thing for me.