Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

How many holding off on K-5 IIs waiting for K-3?

I have been seriously tempted to get a IIs to replace my K-5 but have held off to see what may come this spring. While I like the fixes done to the II models, a 24 mp either APC or FF sans AA filter would really be a bigger upgrade for me. Definitely worth waiting a month or two to see if the roumors are true. How many others here are doing the same?

03-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the projected price point of the fabled K3? I can say that since I have purchased my K5 IIs I have no desire to upgrade even if a new model is released.
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I'm holding off because of two reasons: 1) lack of money, and 2) everything's working just fine right now and I'm not feeling the need to upgrade. When or if the next new thing comes out, I'll see where the finances take me. It would be nice to upgrade but I'm not feeling the need for it.
03-08-2013, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I have been seriously tempted to get a IIs to replace my K-5 but have held off to see what may come this spring. While I like the fixes done to the II models, a 24 mp either APC or FF sans AA filter would really be a bigger upgrade for me. Definitely worth waiting a month or two to see if the roumors are true. How many others here are doing the same?
A camera of tomorrow cannot take pictures today

03-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
UMC

Photos: Gallery
Over the time I have always developed some kind of almost personal relation to my cameras (or most of them). Having kept my Super A for almost 15 years and then my MZ-3 also for 10 years, I don't think I'm going to trade in my K-5 for a K-5 II. There must be a _very_ good reason for me to change to a new model. My guess is, my next camera will be the Pentax FF - should it ever come

To get back to the point of the discussion: A little bit better AF is not a compelling event for me to drop a camera that I'm really happy with and lose some 400-500€ for such a small upgrade.
03-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am definitely waiting for the next APSC. I have no desire for a full-frame, other than for other people to buy and keep Pentax competitive
03-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
HSV
Veteran Member

I think that for most of us non-upgraders, the K-5 IIs is not "different enough" from the K-5.

03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #8

I haven't used a K-5, but do have the k-5 IIs. From what I've seen and read, there's not a big advantage to upgrading if you're happy with your k-5. Better to save your pennies for the next body, be it APS or full-frame.
03-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I already see jaggies and demosaicing colour artifacts occasionally with my K-5 II. I don't think making that worse in exchange for a bit more sharpness would be a great bargain.
03-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
The K5II seems solid so far and I am waiting to see what comes out next before I decide what to do. I gave my backup K5 to my daughter-in-law for Christmas, so I would rotate the K5 into backup.

The K5 had its share of issues, especially at first, so I will be hesitant to jump on a K3 right away, but the K30, K-01 and K5II seem better so far, so maybe that will not be a problem this time (fingers crossed).

The good news is that the pricing of the lower level FF bodies and the pricing I have seen on the upcoming Nikon D7100 will hopefully mean that the K3 will be introduced closer to $1,000 than the K5s intro price of almost $1500. That also means the K5II should drop fast to well below the current pricing once the K3 is announced.

Ray
03-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I have never heard that an I love it
03-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

No problem, I have three cameras from yesterday that can (K20D, K-x, K-01).

I like the K-5 IIs, but I'm holding out for a K-3s. I want all the best features of the K-30 and K-5 IIs, with 20 or 24mp sensor for increased resolution and lower chance of moire, and AF improvements.
03-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The release of the K-5II was market duct tape and to me was a clear message from Pentax that they intend to take at least two years (from K5II release) to sort the company out and get a proper replacement out.

Excellent camera, but its meant to keep the people who were considering the K5 happy by improving a few weak points (and experimenting with no AA with the s model), and not intended to interest any current K5 owners.
Personally since all the things that improved between the K5 and K5II are irrelevant for me I'm waiting for the K3 to come out so I can buy a used original K5 for a reasonable rate.
If they come out with a FF I will do whatever it takes to get one though as my lenses have put up with being cropped long enough. I shoot more film now than I do digital for that reason among others.
03-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I like the K-5 IIs, but I'm holding out for a K-3s. I want all the best features of the K-30 and K-5 IIs, with 20 or 24mp sensor for increased resolution and lower chance of moire, and AF improvements.
I agree. I like some of the features of the K-30 and K-5 IIs. I would like to see these combined into one magnificent camera. With Pentax's latest declaration that they want to be a leader in autofocus, I'm hoping that the next camera is going to be stellar!
03-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

awesome quote!

I've upgraded to the iis f/ the classic which is now my backup. No regrets - I "needed" the better low light focusing and the lack of AA has given my images more pop w/out moire so far.