Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #31
Forum Member

I just read something that's interesting to mull over: New Pentax DSLR Rumour

I wonder if the K3 is part of this rumour? I also didn't think a FF would come this year, but perhaps Ricoh has something up its sleeve we didn't expect!

03-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Here's an example, comparing the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G on a 12mp APS-C D90 body, a 16mp APS-C D7000 body and a 16mp FF D3X body:
Not exactly a clear-cut comparison - since all of those cameras have Bayer AA filters. Also the last time I looked the Nikon D3X had a 24.5Mp sensor. The only two cameras that would be reasonably fair to compare would be the D90 and D700 - which Dxo points out to there being a 1Mp difference in image quality, 1 frigging megapixel which is a rather trivial amount of improvement with the same lens - let me put it into perspective: when comparing the K5IIs and K5II you will see a bigger difference than 1Mp. Though having said that there are many other areas that improve by using a FX format sensor: shallower DOF, better low light capability, bigger viewfinder, lenses are easier to design...etc,etc, so on and so forth. i'm all for pentax making a FX format DSLR, but I don't think they should abandon APS-C format either.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-10-2013 at 09:22 PM.
03-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Remember that the full frame sensor may have more more pixels, but they are spread out over a larger area. So actual resolution may not increase.
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the last time I looked the Nikon D3X had a 24.5Mp sensor.
I made an error with the D3X spec, but it doesn't change the conclusion. I was attempting to demonstrate that a larger sensor with more pixels will have more resolution. The point is still made.
03-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was attempting to demonstrate that a larger sensor with more pixels will have more resolution.
we all know that, but what really matters is the quality of the pixels - and if all things are equal at base ISO there will be no observable difference in resolution between a 12Mp APS-C camera and a 12Mp full frame camera.

03-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #35

Original Poster
Tough bind....

QuoteOriginally posted by Gilzuma Quote
I just read something that's interesting to mull over: New Pentax DSLR Rumour

I wonder if the K3 is part of this rumour? I also didn't think a FF would come this year, but perhaps Ricoh has something up its sleeve we didn't expect!
A problem they face as I see it, is that a FF announcement with a six month to a year lead time could kill APC sales. I know, for myself, I would sit on the sidelines and get my funds together for the FF model rather than pick up an APC now or in two to three months when they would be released.
OTOH, if they don't announce a FF, the exodus to the other manufactures who do will just continue. Especially as the prices drop and smaller FF bodies emerge, such as mirrorless versions. Hopefully, they announce and shortly after, deliver. Best of both worlds.
03-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Not to be a negative Nancy or anything, but ever since I first read about a "k-3" full frame camera from Pentax I have been going mad! Is this a real thing that is happening?! I have about 50% sources saying that the K-3 was an April fools joke, and 50% say it's happening. What is even going on, I can't even!
03-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #37

I bought my K5IIs on the day it was released (something like October 19th here in Japan) and have never had any regrets. It is a a truly great camera. That being said, if you already have the K5 and have no urgent reason to upgrade, I would at least wait to see what is coming out since they say it will be soon. Either you will get a bigger leap forward in terms of upgrade, or you will still be able to get the K5IIs at a remarkably low price. Really cannot lose by waiting a little longer. As for me, I am holding on to this K5IIs until it turns back into dust. I am going to get the FF if it comes out though. I may also look into the current 645d if the price drops into the $5k territory as well. Still, no matter what, the size and capabilities of the K5IIs will keep it in use with me no matter what my next Pentax is. At this stage in Pentax's life, you really cannot go wrong with any of their DSLRs.

03-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
OTOH, if they don't announce a FF, the exodus to the other manufactures who do will just continue.
The number of people leaving due to no FF is small compared to the number of new Pentax buyers. Count the number of swan songs vs. "Hi, Just Bought A Pentax" posts in this forum. I'd say it's at least 10:1 in favour of newbies. And even of the ones who are leaving for FF, most still keep a Pentax body and/or some lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I have about 50% sources saying that the K-3 was an April fools joke, and 50% say it's happening. What is even going on, I can't even!
The rumoured K-3 is not FF, it's 24mp APS-C. FF is further down the road, probably 2014.
03-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #39

The number of people leaving due to no FF is small compared to the number of new Pentax buyers. Count the number of swan songs vs. "Hi, Just Bought A Pentax" posts in this forum. I'd say it's at least 10:1 in favour of newbies. And even of the ones who are leaving for FF, most still keep a Pentax body and/or some lenses.

I agree with this and wish that so many people did not care so much about the FF. Full frame or not, Pentax is making wonderful cameras. I am sure they will come out with a full frame when they are ready and it will be a stunningly good piece of equipment just like the K5 series and the K30. I bet many of those leaving Pentax for the other's FF cameras will regret it in many ways and probably do not need a full frame camera and will never benefit enough from it to justify the switch. Still, people can do as they please.
05-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #40
Forum Member

I for one will not be upgrading my K-5 to the K-5 II. I will wait until they come out with the new APC camera (K-3?), and if they don't come out with one by this fall I will take a very serious look at switching to either a Nikon D7100 or the Canon 60D replacement.

Top two on my wish list for Pentax right now is a new flagship APC camera very similar to the K-5 but with faster, more accurate/reliable autofocus and a 70-200mm f2.8 lens (I mostly use my K-5 for ice hockey pictures). I already own the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, but I'd buy a Pentax one if they can make one with as fast AF, better optical quality and a price less than $1,400 (hopefully closer to $1,200).
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As much as a filterless camera appeals to me, it will have to wait. I can't upgrade with each release, and the K5 is doing a yoeman's job for me. Losing the AA filter would be a luxury, but combine it with a new, even better sensor and then we'll talk.
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't seen enough improvement from the K5 to the K5 II to go with it. I wouldn't mind an APS-C upgrade at all, but it would have to have some improvement in resolution, dynamic range, etc to make me want to get it. The K5 II feels like a camera release, just to release something, particularly considering that they had some video improvements, focus peaking available from the K30 that they didn't bother putting in the K5 II. Says that there is something coming that will have these things in it.
05-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
As much as a filterless camera appeals to me, it will have to wait. I can't upgrade with each release, and the K5 is doing a yoeman's job for me. Losing the AA filter would be a luxury, but combine it with a new, even better sensor and then we'll talk.
I also think that the next filterless sensor will be even better, since they gained some expirience and knowledge on this one. And by the looks of it, it does sell good (I even think I see more people with the K5IIs than with the normal one).
Nikon also walks this path, so it`s probably not just a sidestep.
05-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #44
MSL
Pentaxian

I tend to skim discussions on an Pentax FF, but don't see the need to post. For me, a lens that costs more than $50 is a bit of a luxury. However, the comment from many P42 caught my eye, only because the prices I've seen for used K5 on the forum have been far lower than I would have expected. I'm happy to use my K5 as long as it lasts even if I'm the last Pentax shooter in town, and if I need to replace I'll see what's available. I never planned on buying one when I went camera shopping, and it certainly has its limitations and flaws (which have been well covered in many posts), but I like the way it handles, and every now and then I'll capture a photo I really like. That's good enough for me. But just from the persistent negativity I've seen here, and more so the cut rate prices on used K5 do make me wonder at times.

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Personally since all the things that improved between the K5 and K5II are irrelevant for me I'm waiting for the K3 to come out so I can buy a used original K5 for a reasonable rate.
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Hold off buying gear?! I don't seem to grasp the concept.