Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #61
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
I'm not buying another damn Pentax camera until they fix their lens prices. Why would I want to waste $$$ on a brand with pi$$-poor representation in 3rd party parts and lenses as well as a marketing department that doesn't seem to give a rats butt about established customers.

Nope.
I did abit of comparision on this and noticed it is mostly in relation to like lenses in Canon and Nikon land. Where Pentax falls down is cheap lenses like the 85 1.8 when it currently doesnt make. Its already 'trying' in the budget realm with the 35 2.4 and the 50 1.8.
Personally I just wish they would pick a price and stick with it- retailers will then sell for what consumers will pay and the 2nd hand market will be abit more predictable.
What I don't get is with the MAP price increases you would think would encourage Sigma/Tamron to release new lenses in K mount which they are not. If this continues I believe Pentax should absolutely reduce APSC lenses down to where they were in between Third party and branded lenses of Canon/Nikon/Sony.

05-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
I already own the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, but I'd buy a Pentax one if they can make one with as fast AF, better optical quality and a price less than $1,400 (hopefully closer to $1,200).
Given Pentax's recent policy of enforcing high dealer margins, I wouldn't expect a Pentax 70-200/2.8 to be available for less than ~$2200.
It will be interesting to see whether it will ever be offered given that it won't be easy to top the IQ of Tamron/Sigma without asking a fortune in comparison.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K5 II feels like a camera release, just to release something, particularly considering that they had some video improvements, focus peaking available from the K30 that they didn't bother putting in the K5 II.
It wasn't a case of "not bothering".
The image processor in the K-5 (II) doesn't support focus peaking. The engineers opted to keep the 14-bit processing rather than throwing in some of the new K-30 features. I feel they made the right decision with that.

I also feel that while the K-5 II improvements over the K-5 appear to be very small, they actually are very important. The K-5 was essentially broken because of its low-light AF problems. Many didn't bother as they didn't shoot in such conditions, but the AF module needed work. The K-5 II represents the first Pentax DSLR in years that can be recommended without further qualification.

Regarding the original topic: Had the (APS-C) K-3 been released in April, I would have weighed it up against the K-5 II. Due to the delay -- meaning that if you don't want to pay the full "new product"-premium you'll have to wait till 2014 to buy a K-3 -- I decided to go for a K-5 II. Brilliant camera. And I now have all the time in the world to wait for the Pentax FF.
05-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Given Pentax's recent policy of enforcing high dealer margins, I wouldn't expect a Pentax 70-200/2.8 to be available for less than ~$2200.
It will be interesting to see whether it will ever be offered given that it won't be easy to top the IQ of Tamron/Sigma without asking a fortune in comparison.

It wasn't a case of "not bothering".
The image processor in the K-5 (II) doesn't support focus peaking. The engineers opted to keep the 14-bit processing rather than throwing in some of the new K-30 features. I feel they made the right decision with that.

I also feel that while the K-5 II improvements over the K-5 appear to be very small, they actually are very important. The K-5 was essentially broken because of its low-light AF problems. Many didn't bother as they didn't shoot in such conditions, but the AF module needed work. The K-5 II represents the first Pentax DSLR in years that can be recommended without further qualification.

Regarding the original topic: Had the (APS-C) K-3 been released in April, I would have weighed it up against the K-5 II. Due to the delay -- meaning that if you don't want to pay the full "new product"-premium you'll have to wait till 2014 to buy a K-3 -- I decided to go for a K-5 II. Brilliant camera. And I now have all the time in the world to wait for the Pentax FF.
Sure. I just don't feel like the "improvements" that Pentax put into the K5 II took that much time or effort to create -- particularly considering that there were two years between the K5 and K5 II releases. Feels like there should have been plenty of time to put a few more improvements into the K5 II. I just feel like they are working on other projects that weren't ready for release, but they felt like they had to have some up date of the K5. Maybe there is a bigger improvement between the K5 and K5 II then I think and can see, but it just didn't feel like enough for me to want to upgrade...
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Looking at the price of the competing lenses, I think Pentax should be able to make a 70-200mm, that doesn't have image stabilization, and sell it for $1,400 ($1,200 is probably wishful thinking). The closest competitor would be the Canon non IS lens, which is an L series lens, and it's sold for $1,449. The Sigma and Tamron lenses both have image stabilization, except the older style Tamron and discontinued Sigma.

- Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM (non IS) $1,449
- Nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8 ED (non VR) $999
- Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM $1,399
- Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG APO HSM (non OS) used to be $899 new
- Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD $1,499
- Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD (non VC) $769